House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
thecrashingisles

Focus Diy To Close 120 Shops

Breaking on Sky

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Business/Focus-DIY-Chain-To-Close-120-Stores-Putting-3000-Jobs-At-Risk-Sky-Sources-Confirm/Article/201105415998865?lpos=Business_First_UK_News_Article_Teaser_Region_1&lid=ARTICLE_15998865_Focus_DIY_Chain_To_Close_120_Stores%2C_Putting_3%2C000_Jobs_At_Risk%2C_Sky_Sources_Confirm

Sky News City editor Mark Kleinman has learned that the chain's stock is to be liquidated and the remaining shops closed, just weeks after the company went into administration.

Ernst & Young, which was appointed as the administrator to Focus earlier this month, is expected to confirm in a statement tomorrow morning that it has appointed Gordon Brothers to carry out the task.

Gordon has a lot to answer for!

Edited by thecrashingisles

I wonder how long it took to hammer out this decision that these stores were never going to be a permanent fixture?

Joking aside, Focus are one of the better mainstream DIY shops - they are lot better than Homebase, B&Q, etc.

I would go to Buildbase/TP/Jewson/etc for serious building stuff but for little DIY/decorating Focus are miles better value.... especially compared to B&Q. I am surprised to see them as the first to go, and slightly annoyed for selfish reasons that it wasn't one of the others.

The frozen housing market doesn't seem to be helping the DIY industry. That's got to be a bearish signal.

Yep:

In a statement issued at the time of Ernst & Young's appointment as administrator, Simon Allport, a partner at the accounting firm, said: "Low consumer confidence and a very weak housing transaction market has impacted on Focus and placed considerable pressure on sales and margins.

Its all the housing Markets fault..

Edited by Pent Up

They've just been papering over the cracks.

Oooooh. Tumbleweed.

On a serious note, what happened to "people investing in their homes through DIY instead of selling and moving up".

I thought that was piped out as the defacto standard when house sales plummet.

UK hasn't even got money to spend on it's own houses, even with record low interest rates. :(

Joking aside, Focus are one of the better mainstream DIY shops - they are lot better than Homebase, B&Q, etc.

Not my local one, the writing has been on the wall for it for a couple of years, the usual signs, faded paint, leaking roof, half the fluorescent lights not working, only one staff member to be seen.

If it was an office, the fish tank in reception would be long gone.

Have to take your word for that one, although I've never heard anyone criticise them. Wickes are fairly decent I've found, in my limited forays into DIY.

Oooooh. Tumbleweed.

On a serious note, what happened to "people investing in their homes through DIY instead of selling and moving up".

I thought that was piped out as the defacto standard when house sales plummet.

Does 21st century man have the DIY skills to "invest in their home"?

Were they all to busy setting up websites to sell ringtones to get any manual skills?

UK hasn't even got money to spend on it's own houses, even with record low interest rates. :(

They have to run this on the reel.

In August 1998 Boots, wanting to concentrate on its core pharmaceutical businesses, sold the 139 stores to Focus (DIY) Ltd for £68 million.[2] The stores were initially rebranded under the Focus Do It All name, before being rebranded again in 2001 as simply Focus, following the company's acquisition of Great Mills (whose stores had already been converted to the "Focus for DIY and Gardening" brand). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_It_All

Edited by northwestsmith2

Quite the old adage would be to extend if you can't trade up, add a room at the side or back, convert the loft into a bedroom etc. But it seems that people do not have the cash for that, also lots of people would re-decorate or re-paint before putting the house on the market, repair the garden fence, plant some flowers etc to increase the appeal.

Folk can't afford that sort of thing now, they need to buy petrol and stuff. ;)