House Price Crash Forum
repetitive bleats

Historical Prices Of Commercial Property

I'm getting fed up of waiting for residential property to come back to sensible levels and considering buying a commercial property with a view to renting it to the two companies that i run (who are both coming to the end of their separate office leases. At the moment my main company has a repairing lease and it seems to me that if have to pay to keep a landlords property repaired then it might as well be mine.

I read that commercial property is back down to 2001 levels and was wondering where i can find out historic price for commercial properties (or indeed for this specific commercial property) to try and support the miserly offer that I am thinking of putting in. As far as I can see the Land Registry seem to only have residential prices.

Any ideas?

It varies from town to town and across industry sectors. A shop for example may be worth more than a similar sized industrial unit in a backstreet. The level of business rate will I think also play a part.

Although I hate to say it the people with at least a grasp of true values will the local commercial estate agents.

It varies from town to town and across industry sectors. A shop for example may be worth more than a similar sized industrial unit in a backstreet. The level of business rate will I think also play a part.

Although I hate to say it the people with at least a grasp of true values will the local commercial estate agents.

thanks - do you know if there is any way that i can get a document showing the last price paid on the property and when it happened?

thanks - do you know if there is any way that i can get a document showing the last price paid on the property and when it happened?

The only way I will know of is by looking up the street address in nethouseprices and the like. I know some are listed some are not. For example a property 3 doors up from mine sold and the selling price was recorded. My property is across two street addresses and was not. In any event in a lot of cases it is not only the property but the business which changes hands, in light of that there will be a figure agreed for fixtures and fittings and goodwill which will not feature as part of the property value.

I'm getting fed up of waiting for residential property to come back to sensible levels and considering buying a commercial property with a view to renting it to the two companies that i run (who are both coming to the end of their separate office leases. At the moment my main company has a repairing lease and it seems to me that if have to pay to keep a landlords property repaired then it might as well be mine.

I read that commercial property is back down to 2001 levels and was wondering where i can find out historic price for commercial properties (or indeed for this specific commercial property) to try and support the miserly offer that I am thinking of putting in. As far as I can see the Land Registry seem to only have residential prices.

Any ideas?

Our the VOA figure for 2000, 2005, 2010 for a guide (multiply the rateable value by 20, assuming 5% yield).

Else www.eigroup.co.uk/ has much more data - but not free I am afraid.

Our the VOA figure for 2000, 2005, 2010 for a guide (multiply the rateable value by 20, assuming 5% yield).

Else www.eigroup.co.uk/ has much more data - but not free I am afraid.

Sorry mate - i missed this reply. It sounds interesting but i'm not quite sure what you mean. Could you elaborate?

Sorry mate - i missed this reply. It sounds interesting but i'm not quite sure what you mean. Could you elaborate?

I think what he means (although I could be totally wrong) is...

The rateable value of a property is what is considered to be its yearly rental cost , assuming this cost is a 5% yearly yield of its total value then to multiply it by 20 (as 5% is one twentieth of 100%) would give you an indication of its worth

Edited by scottw

The rateable value of a property is what is considered to be its yearly rental cost , assuming this cost is a 5% yearly yield of its total value then to multiply it by 20 (as 5% is one twentieth of 100%) would give you an indication of its worth

Just noticed you're also interested in the historical value , I presume this may be obtained in the WWW.voa.co.uk site the previous poster erm posted ..... sorry if I havnt been of any significant help (i do try)

Yes - you are correct.

http://www.voa.gov.uk/

and ratable value for 2000, 2005 and 2010 are available.

Edited by easybetman