House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pathfinder

Britain Needs 30,000 Scientists And Engineers A Year

Whenever an industry needs more bodies in it, what they really mean is we don't want to be paying for it, thus we want more people in it to drive down pay.

Give it 5 minutes and they will demanding to allow 30,000 Indian engineers into the country.

Indian? Thats so 00s, too expensive... North Koreans are where it is at.

The pay in engineering has gone down considerably over the years to the point that an engineer now can't afford to buy a house.

I work with several engineers who have been in the same position as me now for around 30 years. They have managed to buy respectable houses in nice areas, they have a company pension (which is no longer offered) and they were able to keep there wives and children on there income.

To accomplish the same living standard today an engineer would have to earn twice as much if not more. No wonder many engineers now have a don't give a shit attitude towards there work.

No chance of filling the gap by providing apprenticeships and/or financing degree courses, I suppose?

Sure sure, I've seen a few of them.... the problem is apprentices eventually qualify and start demanding liveable wages of more than £75 a week. Which isn't what industries want. They want people who'll work for half a bowl of noodles a day (noodles are inferior to rice).

I was a Senior Technician in Civils. I could prep designs, even propose a few of my own which actually got picked now and then. I gave up on the sector last year. Agent calls you that they have a job, hand CV over. One week later, sorry the client has dropped the position, and repeat.

Got a possible job coming up paying 5k more than the current rates for a Technician. This new job is pure Admin, so design skills are not required, just a bum on a seat.

The world really has gone upside down.

The pay in engineering has gone down considerably over the years to the point that an engineer now can't afford to buy a house.

I work with several engineers who have been in the same position as me now for around 30 years. They have managed to buy respectable houses in nice areas, they have a company pension (which is no longer offered) and they were able to keep there wives and children on there income.

To accomplish the same living standard today an engineer would have to earn twice as much if not more. No wonder many engineers now have a don't give a shit attitude towards there work.

More info required. What kind of engineering, what kind of salary?

I'm looking at £40k+ before age 35 at the latest. Not TOO bad!

The pay in many careers means many are unable to afford a house. Engineers are not unique.

Having said that, the Institution of Civil Engineers has its own recruitment website (www.icerecruit.com), where you can upload your CV and browse jobs even if you are not a member.

Plenty of competition for the members out there and it's apparently well supported by the engineering institutions.

More info required. What kind of engineering, what kind of salary?

I'm looking at £40k+ before age 35 at the latest. Not TOO bad!

Good luck buying a nice house, keeping the wife and kids, repaying student loan all on a 40k wage. And oh yes do not forget to pay some into a pension too.

That is what the early boomers could afford on there wages.

I would have thought pay for electrical / mechanical / civil / chemical is not too shabby from graduate upwards? 25K start?

Good luck buying a nice house, keeping the wife and kids, repaying student loan all on a 40k wage. And oh yes do not forget to pay some into a pension too.

I concur

Not that I'm moaning (not today) just illustrating that £40K isn't much :)

Edited by daiking

Engineers...

Get into oil and gas, and associated services. Simple answer.

You will earn megabucks and have the world as your oyster.

The caveat is that you will never earn good money in engineering unless you are willing to get out into the field and get your hands dirty, and be away from home a lot.

You're having a laugh, mate... I'm going to have to live within my means. I'm likely going to relocate to Germany! Right now living at home I'm saving a wad, regularly pay into a pension etc... it will get harder when I have to shell out more for accommodation... I agree the cost of living is ridiculous but £40k+ is a good salary. End of! You can get more by going into banking/law/medicine... and perhaps be lucky in a trade being self-employed. But compared to many other jobs, this is very decent money. Fact is it is one of the top paying jobs and always will be (I'm in electronics design). Maybe not as much as it SHOULD be getting, but hey ho - move abroad where you'll get more! Tell me the multitude of jobs that get more than this?

Edited by guitarman001

Engineers...

Get into oil and gas, and associated services. Simple answer.

You will earn megabucks and have the world as your oyster.

The caveat is that you will never earn good money in engineering unless you are willing to get out into the field and get your hands dirty, and be away from home a lot.

Actually I opted not to go into oil and gas. Competition is more fierce than ever and the future with oil is too uncertain.

The pay in many careers means many are unable to afford a house. Engineers are not unique.

Well yes. Could it just be that houses are over-priced...? If even we on this board forget this, what chance the rest of the population?

+1, and yes starting salaries are around £25k+. Plus you will ENJOY what you do, there are still plenty of jobs to be had and it's not completely cut-throat. I said £40k by the time I'm 35 at latest, if you do well you are looking at more as you get more experience obviously.

One thing's for sure... I'm seriously having fun every day getting paid to do this work. I wouldn't be able to say the same about IT, law, banking....

Actually I opted not to go into oil and gas. Competition is more fierce than ever and the future with oil is too uncertain.

Well, that's your call I guess, I can tell you that work in the North Sea is very lucrative.

Engineering jobs in oil and gas

See if you can find an engineering career path that is more lucrative or has even 10% of the jobs on offer.

I respect anyone that chooses not to of course, but it's a shame as the money is there, and there is always work. Always.

EDIT: Even good draughtsmen are on £50k pa in oil and gas, and that's without a degree.

Edited by cashinmattress

Oh I know how good the money is.... it's unbelievable!! A small part of me would hate being out on a rig all the time (not that all jobs are like that!). Also I don't have the exact skills required for those types of jobs, though am sure I could learn. I know 3 people in that game, 2 friends and a friend's father - all say it is getting more difficult to get the work - maybe things have changed now, I don't know.

Do you work in that field?

Oh I know how good the money is.... it's unbelievable!! A small part of me would hate being out on a rig all the time (not that all jobs are like that!). Also I don't have the exact skills required for those types of jobs, though am sure I could learn. I know 3 people in that game, 2 friends and a friend's father - all say it is getting more difficult to get the work - maybe things have changed now, I don't know.

Do you work in that field?

Yes. My background is electro-mechanical, and I work in the services sector.

I am very independent in what I do, but do not play the maverick as so many choose to that I work with.

Do not re-invent the wheel, do read the manual, and ask questions, and always plan a job as if you are going to be the one working the tools, else you will fall on your face.

But that's true of any mechanical/technical trade, n'est pa?

You can buy all the qualification and education you want, but you have to EARN integrity and trust. Remember that.

That's beggin, man.

Me cousin Jamal and is bredren is training to be engineers, iinit.

Fixing de washin machines an all that.

But don't fix it proper first time bruv.

Get paid each call out, innit.

Utter ********

Not wishing to get at the employers concerned, but compare and contrast, and tell me this country is doing anything to encourage people into a career in science

http://www.newscientistjobs.com/jobs/job/qc-analyst-devon-1401164716.htm

http://jobs.guardian.co.uk/job/4302828/9-6-receptionist-position-in-corporate-environment-for-immaculate-second-jobber-up-to-25k-plus-bens/