House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darkman

Anthony Robbins.... Life Guru. Any Opinions?

I recall reading some positive comments about Anthony Robbins here a while back. I treat life coaches with extreme skepticism, but I wonder what others think about this guy? I ran into an acquaintance of mine recently, and he was raving about this "Get The Edge" course he bought for £125(!). Seems a ridiculous price to me.

I took a listen though, and he possibly talks some good sense . What say you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHrutsxxTk4&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

I recall reading some positive comments about Anthony Robbins here a while back. I treat life coaches with extreme skepticism, but I wonder what others think about this guy? I ran into an acquaintance of mine recently, and he was raving about this "Get The Edge" course he bought for £125(!). Seems a ridiculous price to me.

Bit stagey but as with all the 'gurus' there is always something that resonates. Personally for a less stagey approach I have always liked Steve Covey.

As for £125 if you pick up one technique/tip/way of thinking and apply it and it improves your happiness/earning potential/ self esteem not sure that £125 is expensive. There is a lot of talk on here about exclusive schools/universities/blur chip orgs and the self confidence and self esteem they breed.

Perhaps if you can buy some of that thinking for £125 because that is what you are doing it is cheap......

Read "Awaken The Giant Within", a long but good read, available at any library for nothing, covers a lot of his big concepts, all said by others in various ways of course. Nightingale Conant website is a good resource for this sort of thing. If you want to put our modern problems in perspective, read "Storm of Steel" by Ernst Junger, no one outside a war zone needs to fret too much IMO, there are passages in this that will chill your blood.

NLP without any real understanding of neurology, linguistics or interfamilial relationships?

Business advice without any understanding of wider economics?

That'll be why people buy it but it doesn't work for them.

To be fair as lifestyle gurus go, Tony Robbins is amongst the best. Good stuff, motivating but take with a hefty pinch of salt when it comes to applying it. For every inspiring "you can do it to" success story there are a hundred failed marriages, suicides and business failures who were all doing the same or similar things but didn't get the luck that's also needed to go with the perserverance.

The people who made money from the Californian gold rush were the people selling booze and shovels.

Always agreed with that I have earnt money from speaking not in the gurus league. there is however a kernel of value and knowledge in some self help/guru literature.

In a globalised world it will be the person who can run themselves better who will be the most successful. Bigger vocab, understanding of how to generate emotional responses, understanding the models of the world people work with when communicating.

But it is shovel selling by a different name 100% agree and yet many people (not you DM) badly need it, stand in the average supermarket and listen to the words that people use around their children.

Sticks and stones may break bones but words will never hurt me? Both will and words arguably more a bone mends a negative view of yourself you could carry around for ever.

Always agreed with that I have earnt money from speaking not in the gurus league. there is however a kernel of value and knowledge in some self help/guru literature.

In a globalised world it will be the person who can run themselves better who will be the most successful. Bigger vocab, understanding of how to generate emotional responses, understanding the models of the world people work with when communicating.

But it is shovel selling by a different name 100% agree and yet many people (not you DM) badly need it, stand in the average supermarket and listen to the words that people use around their children.

Sticks and stones may break bones but words will never hurt me? Both will and words arguably more a bone mends a negative view of yourself you could carry around for ever.

True, but if everyone used the gururs stuff the world would look exactly the same. Mostly though such advice simply ignores systemic factors.

What is can be used for it to give you an edge over others withing the current paradigm. But no real fix. one small example - due to the nature of the financial system, a set percentage of people have to go bankrupt every year. It doesn't matter how positive people as a whole are about life, how they align their chakras or the behaviours they engage in, some of them are still going bust.

Good post, so true. the averge person will not cope well with the drying up of nearly free credit? Serious social problems ahead?

NLP without any real understanding of neurology, linguistics or interfamilial relationships?

Business advice without any understanding of wider economics?

That'll be why people buy it but it doesn't work for them.

To be fair as lifestyle gurus go, Tony Robbins is amongst the best. Good stuff, motivating but take with a hefty pinch of salt when it comes to applying it. For every inspiring "you can do it to" success story there are a hundred failed marriages, suicides and business failures who were all doing the same or similar things but didn't get the luck that's also needed to go with the perserverance.

...perseverance brings luck with it.

There are many self help books about that you can read and learn from at a fraction of that price....open your mind and some bits stick. ;)

FFS. Don't be daft.

This guy is a shyster of the highest order.

The king of late night TV in America, selling his crap in between the George Foreman grill and Ron Poleil rotisserie after 11pm on just about any broadcast network.

If you really want something to pass the time, here:

And if that doesn't do it for you, maybe here:

http://www.scientology.org.uk/

If you choose option 2, visit here first: http://www.rickross.com/groups/scientology.html

...perseverance brings luck with it.

No, it doesn't. Those that are lucky believe it does, but that's generalyl because they don't want to acknowledge luck.

That's a great big ego for you. ;)

There are many self help books about that you can read and learn from at a fraction of that price....open your mind and some bits stick. ;)

Sure, but none of it will sort out systemic issues which mean a %age of people have to fail. If you can acknowledge this truth without hiding from it in cobblers maybe things can change.

But sticking all the emphasis on the individual is a great way to waind up blaming victims for crimes, I can't help but notice.

No, it doesn't. Those that are lucky believe it does, but that's generalyl because they don't want to acknowledge luck.

That's a great big ego for you. ;)

Sure, but none of it will sort out systemic issues which mean a %age of people have to fail. If you can acknowledge this truth without hiding from it in cobblers maybe things can change.

But sticking all the emphasis on the individual is a great way to waind up blaming victims for crimes, I can't help but notice.

Define success?....Success is one persons ultimate goal ...to another person it is complete and utter failure. ;)

Define success?....Success is one persons ultimate goal ...to another person it is complete and utter failure. ;)

Yes, if you don't want to look at actual problems, re wording them and changing the frame of reference is a fine way to avoid the fact you are being cowardly or intellectually dishonest.

And no, life isn't what you make it. There are a massive variety of forces enacting on each of use which can outweight our own preferences, proclivities, abilities, whishes, hopes, dreams - ones that can blast right through our persistence and our cleverness without so much as a flicker of acknowledgement.

;)

Although, if you really believe in such stuff, might I ask you to send it to the japanese tsunami victims, your local rape crisis centre, maybe to a war zone or three. I am sure it will help enormously (if you are right.)

Yes, if you don't want to look at actual problems, re wording them and changing the frame of reference is a fine way to avoid the fact you are being cowardly or intellectually dishonest.

And no, life isn't what you make it. There are a massive variety of forces enacting on each of use which can outweight our own preferences, proclivities, abilities, whishes, hopes, dreams - ones that can blast right through our persistence and our cleverness without so much as a flicker of acknowledgement.

;)

Although, if you really believe in such stuff, might I ask you to send it to the japanese tsunami victims, your local rape crisis centre, maybe to a war zone or three. I am sure it will help enormously (if you are right.)

Put it another way then......you can only make the best of the life from the hand you are dealt, is that bad....if you were born or happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, so be it...anything can happen to anyone at any time.....does that make it bad or sad.......most people living in countries with peace and prosperity can better themselves if they have the passion, will and drive to do so.....those in war torn countries or those who fall victim to terrible natural disasters or even those born with life debilitating disabilities have little or no choices....they are victims of their fate.....but still war, disablement and natural disasters can come to any of us at any time.....no one is immune. ;)

Put it another way then......you can only make the best of the life from the hand you are dealt, is that bad....if you were born or happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, so be it...anything can happen to anyone at any time.....does that make it bad or sad.......most people living in countries with peace and prosperity can better themselves if they have the passion, will and drive to do so.....those in war torn countries or those who fall victim to terrible natural disasters or even those born with life debilitating disabilities have little or no choices....they are victims of their fate.....but still war, disablement and natural disasters can come to any of us at any time.....no one is immune. ;)

Right, so life isn't what you make it and success isn't available to all.

Thanks.

There was a time when I was quite into this stuff. I had a friend who was into this big time - even went to the States to attend a seminar, so I was encouraged to give it OK. He, bless him, was forever getting involved in schemes and the next big idea, usually involving some sort of pyramid marketing. I think it took him away from his genuine talent. ('Acres of Diamonds' and all that.)

It's hard not to argue about being positive and goal setting. Many of the techniques can be obtained from the many books. (The top of the pyramid?) However, positivity can only take you so far, we don't live in isolation and we are often dependent upon others, a degree of luck and being into he right place at the right time.

As for me, it made me take some risks, in pursuit of the 'dream' career. It doesn't always work out, and perhaps the knocks are harder because of coming from all of that positivity. I can almost laugh about it now. :lol: I still have my dreams though they are more weather-worn now. :rolleyes:

My hobby is music and I have a few songs on that 'being positive' theme (but maybe that is just me); this past week I've just finished one that's the flipside of this - or perhaps the downside of such positivity.

It's good to be positive. In management guru land it can be a bit g-whizz, full-on and evangelical and when reality can be something different. There are types that will go for this - the outgoing, 'people' person, good at selling - but also something of a sucker too.

'If you think you can, or you think you cannot, in either case you are right' - or half right. ;)

Right, so life isn't what you make it and success isn't available to all.

Thanks.

Life is what you make it and success is not the same thing to all.

Pleasure. ;)

Life is what you make it and success is not the same thing to all.

Pleasure. ;)

Life isn't always what you make it, and success while not being the same to all is unavailable to everyone.

Ta.

Life isn't always what you make it, and success while not being the same to all is unavailable to everyone.

Ta.

....yes, that I can relate to, your moderate view. ;)

....yes, that I can relate to, your moderate view. ;)

....the same thing I've been saying throughout the thread, and it's not a view, it's a fact.

Whether you can relate to it or not isn't relevent. Facts just are.

....the same thing I've been saying throughout the thread, and it's not a view, it's a fact.

Whether you can relate to it or not isn't relevent. Facts just are.

Facts are a matter of opinion.....a fact today is not the same fact tomorrow....life changes quicker than obsolete facts do. ;)

Facts are a matter of opinion.....a fact today is not the same fact tomorrow....life changes quicker than obsolete facts do. ;)

No, facts are facts.

They overide opinions in all cases.

The fact is injin always thinks he is right. :P

That fact is I always try to align myself with the facts.

Don't always succeed, of course but always make the effort.

I've listened to Tony Robbins Personal Power and its good - those that say it's snake oil,in my opinion don't get it,that's just fine. The material is culturally specific ie a bit over the top American but nevertheless it's worth listening to. As for £125 - I'd say use your imagination - google - torrent - and one swarm. I also listen to Wayne Dyer who is much more spiritual now,but wasn't always. One last point - most of these self help gurus are mega rich and are not into this for money any more - they actually give a lot back,so think about that before you prejudge and even perhaps listen or read some of their stuff - what a concept !