House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest unregistered

Anecdotal

Guest consa

Had a call last night to tell me that he had been speaking with local mazda garage manager, they usually sell approx 40 cars in Sept, this Sept only 4 sales!! the manager doesn't know whats going on. Can anyone explain this?

Where is the garage?

In general I would suggest that the good times have come to an end. If the garage was around during the last crash, tell the manager to go look at his records from that time (1989 -1992). I bet he sees a correlation!

Oh, no one's buying, time to buy cars.

Oops, not an asset class.

But why the !!!! are houses?

Still, if you're in the market for a new car, another month or so and they'll bite your hand off.

Seriously, if they don't sell new their servicing work dries up down the line and with horrendous overheads car dealers can get into trouble pretty quickly.

But why the !!!! are houses?

They aren't, generally. Seemingly, the only buyers are people downsizing and people moving areas. I guess we are also seeing the death-throes of BTL and BTS.

Annecdote: my uncle sold his 2-bed mid-terrace in Sussex after just one viewing in 6 months. It was a local couple who are moving to spain and wanting a smaller place as a "bolthole" in the UK. They plan to let it out while they're overseas. Not quite sure how they can have it as a "bolthole" and let it out. Phil and Kirsty seemed to have similar confusion in Relocation*2.

Getting exactly the same from retailers in Edinburgh - even the checkout lady at Tesco yesterday was commenting on how quiet it has gone in the last few weeks.

Different down here. Shopping in Tescos is mayhem any time during the day at the weekends. It's so busy that they've just installed 8 do it yourself checkouts.

Other high street shopping seems slightly subdued, but not massively if the number of people around town carrying bags at the weekend is anything to go by....

I spoke to a friend who is a salesman at PDH Fiat in Worthing and they still have 2004 Punto's left over.

Presently selling for £4995 but they will reduce them to £4095 if not sold soon.

Bargins to be had...

My Mazda just needed a new fuel pump (diesel). Go on - guess the cost of the genuine Mazda replacement part....

£1,600 + VAT. I swear this is true.

Luckily I got one on the cheap!

My Mazda just needed a new fuel pump (diesel). Go on - guess the cost of the genuine Mazda replacement part....

I think your lucky I bought a rubber thing for my Vauxhall and it cost £60 – A diesel fuel pump is much more complicated than it sounds + you should get 200000 miles out of one – what was the mileage?

I think your lucky I bought a rubber thing for my Vauxhall and it cost £60 – A diesel fuel pump is much more complicated than it sounds + you should get 200000 miles out of one – what was the mileage?

Did you guys know that you no longer need to buy genuine parts from the manufacturer and this will have no effect on your warrantee. Not many people know that and they still buy genuine Ford parts etc for 2 or 3 times the price. The worst thing is the manufacturers don't even make the parts they just have their logo stamped on them so in effect your paying all that extra money for a logo!!!

80,000 Apparently many of these are failing early on the six diesels from 03 and 04. May end up being a recall issue according to my local dealer.

Mazda parts are very cheap when compared to other manufacturers. I have a Mazda 6 and parts for it are about 1/3 the cost of a similar part from Daimler-Chrisler (jeep). A diesel pump is expensive no matter what the car.

I spoke to a friend who is a salesman at PDH Fiat in Worthing and they still have 2004 Punto's left over.

Presently selling for £4995 but they will reduce them to £4095 if not sold soon.

Bargins to be had...

my local honda placehad about 10 puntos arrive about six weeks ago - all at £4995 !!! they've still got half of them

Well, several times in the past 18 months or so I have gone into several Mazda dealerships in South Wales seeking to buy a Mazda 6 - each time I was told that the waiting list was something like 5 or 6 months but, in the case of one dealer, I could buy one of several pre-registered 6s they had on the forecourt but, wait for this, for the NEW list price. In other words, buying a technically secondhand car for NEW cost.

Their attitude, IMPO, stunk.

Over that time I looked at numerous 'genuine' secondhand 6s on the forecourts, again at near new prices IMPO, and for cars that were often just 6 or 12 months old they looked very knackered and worn indeed. IMPO they just don't hold up too well.

If others have had the same experiences of Mazda dealers across the UK then it is no surprise that their sales have fallen so dramatically in the way you mention.

On a simlar note, I am a member of a Toyota Prius - that hybird car - mailing list. Earlier this year the delivery time from order to arrival was around 5 - 6 months such was the demand for the Prius. I have noticed in the past 4 - 6 weeks that people are now placing orders for the Prius and getting them within 4 weeks... sometimes in as little as 2 weeks...

Did you guys know that you no longer need to buy genuine parts from the manufacturer and this will have no effect on your warrantee. Not many people know that and they still buy genuine Ford parts etc for 2 or 3 times the price. The worst thing is the manufacturers don't even make the parts they just have their logo stamped on them so in effect your paying all that extra money for a logo!!!

According to what I read on the Whatcar website the parts MUST be genuine for the warranty not to be affected but that any reputable garage an work on the car.

According to what I read on the Whatcar website the parts MUST be genuine for the warranty not to be affected but that any reputable garage an work on the car.

If the car's under warranty then there's no problem using the genuine parts cos you ain't paying!

A couple along the road from me put a for sale sign in their fancy blue MG sports thingamebob.

It was in there 2-3 weeks and no longer has the sign up.

I (maybe wrongly) assumed they had no interest or what interest they did get wasn't the price they wanted.

NDL