House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
athom

New Adam Curtis Series Starting Tonight 9Pm Bbc2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b011k45f/All_Watched_Over_by_Machines_of_Loving_Grace_Love_and_Power/

Always a funky edit, well observed and easy to follow narrative, lays out complex pieces of the puzzle in a digestible way for the masses. Quite possibly pretty on topic too. Better than Gavin and Stacy by some light years.

Edited by athom

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b011k45f/All_Watched_Over_by_Machines_of_Loving_Grace_Love_and_Power/

Always a funky edit, well observed and easy to follow narrative, lays out complex pieces of the puzzle in a digestible way for the masses. Quite possibly pretty on topic too. Better than Gavin and Stacy by some light years.

thanks for the head up - Adam Curtis is one of the most talented film makers alive - in my view, THE most talented.

Agreed, very interesting. Do you not think there's something so sexy about earlier computers? Much sexier than modern computers, even though they're all graphical powerhouses these days.

Why is it not possible to put together a definitive list of those people who were responsible?

Curtis has highlighted a few already.

Edited by Dan1

I am a commodity. That is quite a decent point that burd is making. :ph34r:

Another interesting series by Adam Curtis, where he covers some of the same ideas:

The Trap: What Happened to Our Dreams of Freedom? (1 of 6)

An excellent series. Worth watching all six episodes.

First Shown on BBC2 [by Adam Curtis.]

They are saying that the bail outs actually bailed out the banks in Indonesia. Not too impressed by some of the tenuous links but this is very relevant to us on here.

"The interest of the financial community dominated all other interests."

[Even the collapse of Countries]

The entire western world is one giant corporatocracy.

Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of state and corporate power. .....Mussolini......
Edited by Dan1

In every Curtis documentary, it grates how small sinister bands of ideologues are used to explain every sweeping historical movement and chaotic sequence of events. It sounds like this one will be no different.

But I wouldn't miss a thing he makes because he's an incredible documentary maker and makes really thought-provoking stuff. Looking forward to iPlayering this one tomorrow.

In every Curtis documentary, it grates how small sinister bands of ideologues are used to explain every sweeping historical movement and chaotic sequence of events. It sounds like this one will be no different.

Totally.

I don't agree with Curtis that it was the computer's fault. That's what the banker's used to hide it.

There isn't even such a movement as "Computer Utopians". Very good but too many wacky claims.

Edited by cica

I don't agree with Curtis that it was the computer's fault. That's what the banker's used to hide it.

There isn't even such a movement as "Computer Utopians". Very good but too many wacky claims.

It was interesting. Just like all these programmes are. However they could really just be replaced by one thing. A single screen with the following on it:

"People are the problem. We are complete dicks"

Bloody excellent prog.

Not sure how much of it I think is valid, needs a bit of time to digest, but the old neural networks are creaking into life.

That Ayn Rand was well scary. Possibly as scary as P J harvey (but in a different way).

Her philosophy was flawed though. Distinct lack of self doubt going on; as usual with these sort of people, they rely on force of character (i.e. bullying) to hide flaws in their "logic". Her "logical" reasons for an affair were hilarious.

The idea that computers could stabilise markets rather relies on computers being fit for purpose. Thus far, they aren't.

Excellent sountrack too.

Bloody excellent prog.

Not sure how much of it I think is valid, needs a bit of time to digest, but the old neural networks are creaking into life.

That Ayn Rand was well scary. Possibly as scary as P J harvey (but in a different way).

Her philosophy was flawed though. Distinct lack of self doubt going on; as usual with these sort of people, they rely on force of character (i.e. bullying) to hide flaws in their "logic". Her "logical" reasons for an affair were hilarious.

The idea that computers could stabilise markets rather relies on computers being fit for purpose. Thus far, they aren't.

Excellent sountrack too.

The problem is people. As it always is. Computers are designed and built by people. People write the software and people tell the computers what they want to come out of the other end.

That Ayn Rand was well scary.

Yes, and no. She was obviously put in a very bad light by Curtis. Watch some interviews, you don't have to agree, but she was clearly intelligent and not simply "mad". She's quite entertaining and had some balls to get on US TV and tell them they are all religious nutters decades before Dawkins.

Yes, and no. She was obviously put in a very bad light by Curtis. Watch some interviews, you don't have to agree, but she was clearly intelligent and not simply "mad". She's quite entertaining and had some balls to get on US TV and tell them they are all religious nutters decades before Dawkins.

Yes I thought some of the things she said made sense. Just had a google of her. This is interesting. Reminds me of a certain poster on this site. He must have all her books. :D

Rand advocated reason as the only means of acquiring knowledge and rejected all forms of faith and religion. She supported rational egoism and rejected ethical altruism. In politics, she condemned the initiation of force as immoral and opposed all forms of collectivism and statism, instead supporting laissez-faire capitalism, which she believed was the only social system that protected individual rights. She promoted romantic realism in art. She was sharply critical of most other philosophers and philosophical traditions.

In other words classic Curtis; fascinating to watch and listen too, filled with interesting factoids, all stitched together with some very dubious assertions.

I didn't catch him mentioning that it served 'the bankers' to say the computers had risk covered, whether they actually believed it or not

There are no thieves in Curtisland, just lots of well-intentioned idiots

Edited by Charlton Peston

I'd not heard of Ayn Rand before but it's quite plausible that her philosophy influenced the most influential Greenspan. That's often the way it works i can't see how they were sinister even though i disagree entirely with her philosophy. The world is to some degree led by small numbers of people who surround themselves with people with similar outlooks and philosophies can influence these groups. That's his point so it's not surprising he mentions it. I'd not heard of Edward Bernays either before Curtis pointed him out in Century of the Self, very interesting.

Wasn't the 16 post thread already on this good enough for you? :P

Realistbear will be along tomorrow morning with his own thread and spin on things.wink.gif

....if the documentary wasn't too late for him!