House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ash4781

2 For 1 Theme Park Vouchers

Two different supermarkets, and another high street retailer have (after purchasing some minor nic naks) given me 2 for 1 vouchers at theme parks. They are quite restrictive but I've never been to a UK theme park. Presume they need to drum business in the quiet times?

Are they any good then?

Also once you get in is it like a £5 for a burger.

Which theme parks? How far away from where you live?

Alton Towers

Legoland

Thorpe Park

Blackpool tower?

Chessington World of Adventures

Madame Tussards

The London Dungeon

Warwick Castle

Sea-life?

I'm in Kent. The locations are the same across all the offers.

Alton Towers

Legoland

Thorpe Park

Blackpool tower?

Chessington World of Adventures

Madame Tussards

The London Dungeon

Warwick Castle

Sea-life?

I'm in Kent. The locations are the same across all the offers.

I have been to Alton Towers and Blackppol Pleasure Beach a few times, always on 2 for 1 tickets. Both are good for a laugh - if you like those kind of things. Kellogs are also doing 2-1 vouchers for the same group of attractions just now if any one is interested.

Food wise, yes probably a bit pricey (especially Alton Towers) but to be honest if you are going to be sitting on rollercoasters all day you wont be wanting to eat much anyway...

Iim led to belıeve Lego land ıs somethıng lıke 20 - 30 quıd a tıcket!

Unless you love Lego or, are mınted, I'd gıve ıt a mıss.

lego land hasnt got much lego in truth. It is expensive to get in though and is best for kids around 4 or 5. Much younger than that and there is only so much they can do, likewise if they are older. It is ok for a visit but I wouldnt travel far for it.

Two different supermarkets, and another high street retailer have (after purchasing some minor nic naks) given me 2 for 1 vouchers at theme parks. They are quite restrictive but I've never been to a UK theme park. Presume they need to drum business in the quiet times?

Are they any good then?

more like £10 for a burger and £3 for a coke.

Alton Towers is great except having to queue for all the rides.

You have to get there as the doors open.. otherwise I seem to remember that 30 minute queues were easily possible.

Top tip.. if you know any disabled people talk them into going with. You automatically get in two for one.. plus the whole group get to jump any queues as many times as you like (or at least we always did) making it a much more worthwhile day out.

And yes.. you will pay £5 for a hot dog.

Are they any good then?

Each to his own, but I love Chessington, Thorpe Park etc. Adventure Island at Southend is good too though, and no three-hour queues.

I just love roller-coasters, always have.

Yes, but you are allowed to take your own food.

Top tip.. if you know any disabled people talk them into going with. You automatically get in two for one.. plus the whole group get to jump any queues as many times as you like (or at least we always did) making it a much more worthwhile day out.

Fantastic post, thank you, it has given me the most fantastic "lightbulb moment" and I am off to start work on my new website, www.befriend-a spaz.com ;)

Been to Alton Towers and Blackpool pleasure beach about 3 times.

I prefer Blackpool pleasure beach better, there's a better variety of rides and less queing if you go on a weekday. They have got rid of a few of the rides in the last few years though.

Didn't like Alton Towers really, the place has no drainage so when it rains the place floods (and obviously most of the rides close). Some of the rides are truly awful like the pinball one. They are not allowed to have the rides go above the tree line so "Air" doesn't feel like you're flying at all, despite what the blurb says.

Corkscrew was pretty good but I believe they've got rid of it.

If you do go, it's best to get there as soon as they open and go straight to Nemesis (the best IMO). That way you should be able to get 3/4 goes on it before it gets too crowded.

If you do go, it's best to get there as soon as they open and go straight to Nemesis (the best IMO). That way you should be able to get 3/4 goes on it before it gets too crowded.

Yep, get there half-an-hour early then leg it to the signature ride as soon as the gates open is my advice too.

Been to Alton Towers and Blackpool pleasure beach about 3 times.

I prefer Blackpool pleasure beach better, there's a better variety of rides and less queing if you go on a weekday. They have got rid of a few of the rides in the last few years though.

Didn't like Alton Towers really, the place has no drainage so when it rains the place floods (and obviously most of the rides close). Some of the rides are truly awful like the pinball one. They are not allowed to have the rides go above the tree line so "Air" doesn't feel like you're flying at all, despite what the blurb says.

Corkscrew was pretty good but I believe they've got rid of it.

Sound advice.

The other thing to do is stay until the bitter end, especially if the weather has been mediocre. Managed 5 goes on Nemesis in one day by combining both tactics, at the end of the day we were back on it again as fast as we could walk round the path.

Don't know if they still do it, but years ago if you got on the very last ride of the day you were virtually begging them to stop the damn thing and let you off.

There is an identical ride to the Corkscrew still in existence at Flamingoland if you are feeling nostalgic. Went on a 'works trip' there a couple of years ago, and in certain ways much preferred it to Alton Towers. Significantly cheaper (unless you are using 2 for 1 at AT) the rides are much closer together, and the queues were tiny in comparison.

if you dont have kids go during school term time, that what i do, no queues, the place is practically empty (Chessington, Thorpe Park, never been to Alton Towers) i normally go during Term time in June, so you "should" get good weather.

the only thing is they dont reduce their prices during the quiet times so no other benifit that not having to queue for anything

if you dont have kids go during school term time, that what i do, no queues, the place is practically empty (Chessington, Thorpe Park, never been to Alton Towers) i normally go during Term time in June, so you "should" get good weather.

the only thing is they dont reduce their prices during the quiet times so no other benifit that not having to queue for anything

That said, don't go between the spring-bank half term and the summer holidays. AT is chocked full of school trips, and gone are the days when they left school at 8:45/9 and returned in time for 4/5.

I have fond memories of the days when you could turn up on a nice sunny day in June, arrive at 1ish, buy a half-day (half-price) ticket just as the ones that lived further afield were making a move to go home, and then virtually have the place to yourself from 3-6. Only lived 35 minutes away in those days too... :)

Legoland. Only go if you have a completely Lego mad child, take a pack-up, avoid being fooled into coughing up for 'priority parking', and cover your party in insect repellent whilst still in the car park. They have a dreadful reputation for not dealing with wasp nests, as does AT for that matter.

Used to live near to Chessington World of Adventures and being local residents and for having to put up with an element of congestion they would give us 8 free tickets.

Now the wife gets us all Merlin Tickets with her Tesco clubcard vouchers. Gets us free entry into majority of theme parks including, Chessington, Thorpe Park, Legoland, Alton Towers, plus London eye, dungeons, aquarium etc...

Take a pack lunch.

My kids still go to school near Chessington so the wife picks them up and whips em into CWA by 3.45pm on some weekdays. They get until 5pm but during the week it is empty and they get on and off whatever they want.

I found Legoland to be quite boring and so did the kids. Thorpe Park is good, a little more exciting with some decent white knuckle rides. I have yet to experience Alton Towers but will later this year.

Word of warning.. Pick your days carefully. I have been to many theme parks and if they are busy you will be lucky to get on more than 3 rides all day and it`s bloody boring waiting about.

They closed my childrens school for the recent polling day so that was ideal to grab a day off work and hit Thorpe park. The kids went on every ride multiple times.

Sadly Alton Towers is now closed for an unspecified period pending investigations into that horrific crash on the ride smiler. I did fancy a trip to a theme park this year !

Sounds like a typically over the top reaction.

Depends whether the cause is a one off freak accident or more of a systemic problem in the way rides are being run. The unspecified length total closure might veer the answer towards the latter.

I had planned to go to Alton Towers yesterday but I rescheduled it to next Tuesday due to the weather forecast. Think I will reschedule it to never now :-) Bloody rip-off to spend the day in a qeue watching some rich sod pull out a qeue jumping pass!

Depends whether the cause is a one off freak accident or more of a systemic problem in the way rides are being run. The unspecified length total closure might veer the answer towards the latter.

You don't know that until you investigate it, so the implication is that you have to treat everything as a potential systematic problem and close the whole lot every time there's a problem, even when they've been running fine. That is an over-reaction that demonstrates a significant lack of understanding of risk and probability. The first time a new model of car crashes the whole lot don't get instantly recalled in case it happens to be with a fault in the design of the model.