House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

The Countess....

The countess exchanged contracts on the flat she owns in London today.

Clapham area.

£410K for a 2 bed flat !!!!! Cash buyer.

Are people with cash just stupid ?

The sold price is top whack and I mean top whack, peak prices + 10%.

Let the london collapse begin....

She thinks she could have got more.

Clapham area.

That should buy something nice, even in Northampton!

That should buy something nice, even in Northampton!

Yes, but I think that's the "idea" has has been keeping up the prices of nice houses high in the areas surrounding London. People are selling flats and moving to "the shires" and blowing all the money on an over-priced house there.

The money is being banked.

When London collapses all the surrounding areas will collapse.

And with selling prices at these levels collapse can't be far off.

Good luck to the buyer...they will need it.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Yes, but I think that's the "idea" has has been keeping up the prices of nice houses high in the areas surrounding London. People are selling flats and moving to "the shires" and blowing all the money on an over-priced house there.

The money is being banked.

When London collapses all the surrounding areas will collapse.

And with selling prices at these levels collapse can't be far off.

Good luck to the buyer...they will need it.

And yet the market shows no signs of weakness at all in London. Why might that be?

Clapham area.

Good on her. Crazy world indeed.

Wow. Did she have any outstanding mortage to pay? If not, £410k's worth of the unspeakable thingies would be grand....

She had a fair mortgage on it....good profit though.

had she sold in 2008....£100K less probably !!!!

The more i look at london the more seriously f**ked it really is.

We'll all sit back and look at it one day and think...what were people thinking.....one day soon. :lol:

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Clapham area.

Yes, its stupid and crazy, but sadly there will be no crash in London. The conditions do not and will not exist for it. There are areas of South London, like Clapham and Wimbledon which I know well, which seem to be immune to falls and heading either upwards or staying high. There are other areas, such as Mitcham, which have gone down a bit. The 3 bed next to mine sold for £309k in 2007; you'd get it for around £240 now.

Tell you what I'm really interested in...who is ACTUALLY buying all the property? There are houses in Raynes Park, another area I know well, that are on the market for a day or a week. The only thing I can think of its that Raynes Park is a kind of spillover from the desirable Wimbledon, because its not all that desirable in itself. I'm assuming that there are large companies that block buy property as an investment.

Just tells me what I thought already. The rich are not suffering... actually, I'm not even sure who is suffering en masse. Feels like the phony war must have - kids going back to London after being evacuated, etc.

I'm being frivolous, but the determination to kick this can down the road is sort of awe-inspiring in its way...

Yes, its stupid and crazy, but sadly there will be no crash in London. The conditions do not and will not exist for it. There are areas of South London, like Clapham and Wimbledon which I know well, which seem to be immune to falls and heading either upwards or staying high. There are other areas, such as Mitcham, which have gone down a bit. The 3 bed next to mine sold for £309k in 2007; you'd get it for around £240 now.

Tell you what I'm really interested in...who is ACTUALLY buying all the property? There are houses in Raynes Park, another area I know well, that are on the market for a day or a week. The only thing I can think of its that Raynes Park is a kind of spillover from the desirable Wimbledon, because its not all that desirable in itself. I'm assuming that there are large companies that block buy property as an investment.

My thinking is that huge amounts of dirty money from all over the World is being laundered through the property market in London.

And personally I think the authorities here are well aware of this - but as it suits their purposes - they just don't care.

:blink:

:rolleyes:

Yeah, wishing for something doesn't make it so, and trust me, I wish!! and HPC wouldn't be what it is without some people wanting massive correction. A crash is a hell of a lot different from a fall, and we are seeing, and will probably continue to see many falls in London, but do you seriously believe that in areas like Westminster, Wimbledon and the like, that property will reduce across the board by 50%?? I'll happily give £50 to the charity of your choice should that happen.

I have to agree than when it is possible to get a mortgage rate for less than 3% then it's very difficult to have a big crash. Of course, IF rates rise then this will have a serious knock-on effect, but until then we will still be in a silly-money market in many parts of the capital.

No of course not. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well, we shall see. I suspect neither of you will be quite right. Some prime areas will retain the values, the rest will ebb and flow.

That's £70K off the 2007 price. Not bad, considering there's still about 5-10 years of a down leg to go.

And yet you are adamant there won't be a crash? Hmmm.... B)

(...) there will be no crash in London. The conditions do not and will not exist for it. (...)

Sorry newbie, but :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol:

:lol:

Just 2 things:

1) What conditions?

2) What exactly do you smoke?

Yeah, wishing for something doesn't make it so, and trust me, I wish!! and HPC wouldn't be what it is without some people wanting massive correction. A crash is a hell of a lot different from a fall, and we are seeing, and will probably continue to see many falls in London, but do you seriously believe that in areas like Westminster, Wimbledon and the like, that property will reduce across the board by 50%?? I'll happily give £50 to the charity of your choice should that happen.

Yes. Either in real terms of nominally. The market is f**ked. There's no money to lend. The bankers are lucky they aren't nailed to the bridges in London and there is MUCH MUCH more pain to come. If/When one of the countries default you will see credit crunch II - The return of the Brown Pants.

People can bury their heads in the sand if they want, but london went up the most and london WILL come down the most. it happened the last time...and it's worse this time.

My thinking is that huge amounts of dirty money from all over the World is being laundered through the property market in London.

And personally I think the authorities here are well aware of this - but as it suits their purposes - they just don't care.

:blink:

Some of it, undoubtedly true, but we have strict money laundering laws in this country. There is, however, a lot of property changing hands in London and I can't see the majority of it being dirty money. I do wonder sometimes though, who really owns London?? or how much of London is owned by people domiciled here??

Well, we shall see. I suspect neither of you will be quite right. Some prime areas will retain the values, the rest will ebb and flow.

Actually, markets are always frothier at the top Tomandlu.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes. Either in real terms of nominally. The market is f**ked. There's no money to lend. The bankers are lucky they aren't nailed to the bridges in London and there is MUCH MUCH more pain to come. If/When one of the countries default you will see credit crunch II - The return of the Brown Pants.

People can bury their heads in the sand if they want, but london went up the most and london WILL come down the most. it happened the last time...and it's worse this time.

How is it possible to compare the situation the last time with much that is around this time? and when you say there is no money to lend, I'm not sure about that. I went into the Halifax the other day to discuss some issues around a mortgage and the adviser was pushing dirty cash at me.