House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Schoolgirl Wins Right To Use Her Ipod In Exams As She Can't Concentrate Unless She's Listening To Music

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1389910/Schoolgirl-wins-right-listen-iPod-exams--concentrate-listening-music.html

A schoolgirl has won the right to use an iPod while sitting her exams - after claiming she can only concentrate while listening to her favourite music.

The girl won the unprecedented concession after threatening legal action against her school and examination authorities.

The Mary Erskine School for girls in Edinburgh, where boarders pay nearly £18,000 a year, has been forced to buy a new iPod that is loaded with the girl's choice of music by a teacher - to ensure no exam answers are hidden among the tracks.

Staff had initially refused the request, fearing it would open the door to the possibility of cheating.

The girl's parents then took her case to the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA) examination board, which also ruled it out.

However, it was forced to back down after reportedly being threatened with legal action under the Equalities Act because the girl, a year six pupil, (equivalent to year 13 in England) often struggles to pay attention in class.

Just think how expensive this is going to get when every pupil demands to listen to music during the exam.

It doesn't say if the parents have been charged for the ipod.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1389910/Schoolgirl-wins-right-listen-iPod-exams--concentrate-listening-music.html

Just think how expensive this is going to get when every pupil demands to listen to music during the exam.

It doesn't say if the parents have been charged for the ipod.

Its a private school, they probably did a back of a fag packet calculation Ipod £200? vs lost fees of £18K. No brainer....

It is the same in all walks of life! Auditing? I did an audit for a company which had 17K of audit fees. I so wanted to give them an adverse opinion. My boss overode me even though they were well dodgy as he thought the 17K in fees was more important than integrity.

Oh deary me.

Oh, what can't buy for your privileged kids when you are loaded? £18,000 p.a.?

I thought any electronic devices, outside of voice recorders or health related apparatus, were no allowed in class. Guess I'm wrong.

But the caveat is that this will tarnish that school and chase it down the league tables. At least you'd think so.

Disgusting. And a disgusting little spoiled kunt and her very stupid parents.

Oh deary me.

Oh, what can't buy for your privileged kids when you are loaded? £18,000 p.a.?

I thought any electronic devices, outside of voice recorders or health related apparatus, were no allowed in class. Guess I'm wrong.

But the caveat is that this will tarnish that school and chase it down the league tables. At least you'd think so.

Disgusting. And a disgusting little spoiled kunt and her very stupid parents.

Its older than that though. Many girls and boys at my school would always grow their hair long come exam time, it would conceal perfectly a set of headphones and a dictaphone.

One to try at work?

I do know a lot of the senior management types do this.

Well, I'm sort of guilty of that, but not with music...

Ear%20Plugs.jpg

I often put these in when doing some serious calculations, because I can't concentrate with office noise.

Pity the SQA didn't let it come to an equality case. It would be so difficult to prove her concentration improves with and ipod plugged into her fuzzy little brain. What were they so afraid of?:ph34r:

A related story. When younger and just in possession of my mums car - aged 17 - we decided to go to the above school for a look at the tottie. Very nice posh young birds. ;)

Drove down into the front of the school and sat there having a good scan at the birds. Then the security bloke/rector whoever came across and asked what we were doing. I simply said 'Just looking'.

He was not very happy - to say the least. Went off on a rage. We had to make a sharp getaway.

Anyway - just thought I would share this Mary Erskine related story. This was the beast I was driving at the time too. Class. 999cc. Rapid.

800px-Fiat_Uno_facelift.jpg

Pity the SQA didn't let it come to an equality case. It would be so difficult to prove her concentration improves with and ipod plugged into her fuzzy little brain. What were they so afraid of?:ph34r:

I suspect time, I doubt you'd have got a decision from the courts in the time frame needed. They would run the risk of a big payout if proved her concentration does improve and she had missed the exams. Although quite what happens if the other people in the exam complain over the noise from the earphones is another problem entirely. Imagine the fun if the ipod has to be at full volume for them to concentrate in a silent exam.

And when she goes to work, no doubt she'll be suing the employer for the right to listen to shti all day as well..... or she'll get a job in retail, like most graduates can realistically aspire to these days, and will be able to listen to it at a volume loud enough to drive anyone over 25 out of the shop anyway...

Probably because it is the daughter of a high placed bureaucrat, politician, or banker.

Shame they can't release the name, but I hope this goes on her academic record - that she is unable to concentrate in class, and a little bit of me hopes she gets an F.

Probably because it is the daughter of a high placed bureaucrat, politician, or banker.

Shame they can't release the name, but I hope this goes on her academic record - that she is unable to concentrate in class, and a little bit of me hopes she gets an F.

Imagine if her name got out, she would be unemployable. Who would want to take someone on that cant concentrate without earphones on? Sounds like he parents money has been wasted and she is only good a production line. £18k a year and she cant concentrate ffs?

If I was the teacher I'd put on a whole load of annoying music on to distract her.

Bit of thrash metal, some industrial techno and finish off with some throat singers.

Academic record? What's one of those then?

A related story. When younger and just in possession of my mums car - aged 17 - we decided to go to the above school for a look at the tottie. Very nice posh young birds. ;)

Drove down into the front of the school and sat there having a good scan at the birds. Then the security bloke/rector whoever came across and asked what we were doing. I simply said 'Just looking'.

He was not very happy - to say the least. Went off on a rage. We had to make a sharp getaway.

Anyway - just thought I would share this Mary Erskine related story. This was the beast I was driving at the time too. Class. 999cc. Rapid.

800px-Fiat_Uno_facelift.jpg

These days you would end up on the sex offenders register for that.

It sounds like ccc was in fact younger than some of the girls...

To be fair, it's a fair assumption that people who park up outside schools to assess school girls are a bit naughty.

Who needs to park up?

I just need to be going to the supermarket at school-arrival or school-departure time, and I'm passing the big community college at a busy time and there'll be a 'minder' or two. Not usually a problem, but one idiot thought to challenge my use of the public path.

How the flipping heck will she manage when she gets a job?

Oh it's ok, daddy can employ her in one of his companies perhaps just listening to music.

To be fair, it's a fair assumption that people who park up outside schools to assess school girls are a bit naughty.

I remember years ago when I worked in Kings Lynn and amongst my many burdens was taxi licensing. The school proms were a good place for catching unlicensed taxis and limos. Whist viewing the proceedings who do we see but Mikey Carroll (Norfolk lotto lout) cruising up and down in his motor looking for jailbait :lol:

And when she goes to work, no doubt she'll be suing the employer for the right to listen to shti all day as well..... or she'll get a job in retail, like most graduates can realistically aspire to these days, and will be able to listen to it at a volume loud enough to drive anyone over 25 out of the shop anyway...

and how long til she sues Apple for the tinnitus or worse she will develop from overuse of IPod?

You are probably not far wrong. :(

It sounds like ccc was in fact younger than some of the girls...

Well probab,y bout the same age. But then it was me and 3 mates in the car eating Big Macs and perving over schoolgirls. Which is a little naughty. So these days we would probably be hung out to dry for our deviousness.

It is a sad day when you can't even have a perv in peace. Henry VIII would be raging in his huge grave.