House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Solar Powered Mobile Phone Chargers

I'm looking into buying a solar mobile phone charger are there any good ones out there which will work well in the UK even when cloudy?

Is getting one with a battery built in the better option so that the inbuilt battery charges for when you need to charge your phone?

Has anyone on here got one?

Nah, the output is way too low. I have a trickle charger for vehicles. It puts out barely 0.1watt. It actually ended up draining the bike battery I put it on!

You'll need a 20W solar panel, a solar charge regulator, a car battery and an inverter along with a standard plug in charger. Plus a little cart to carry it all along in.

These gizmo-store devices with solar panels the size of playing cards are just a joke.

You'll need a 20W solar panel, a solar charge regulator, a car battery and an inverter along with a standard plug in charger. Plus a little cart to carry it all along in.

These gizmo-store devices with solar panels the size of playing cards are just a joke.

To be honest it's not something I want to carry about just leave it on the window sill at home.

Yup, something like that. I've got a Halfords "car battery with a handle" pack that has a little fluorescent tube and 12v car plug type thing that I mainly use as backup for jumpstarting. It also does tyre inflation for lazy days.

It weighs as much as you think it does, and does not have any solar panels. But, you can buy a 12v car plugin adaptor thingy that will take USB cables (HTC and iPhone cables can connect to these) and you can charge your phone off it. You can also run a mini-fridge off it for cold beer.

Or, just buy a spare battery and charge that one up.

To be honest it's not something I want to carry about just leave it on the window sill at home.

The mother uses one to charge her ipod. And possibly other devices. AIUI it works in most conditions.

Then why not use a mains-powered charger? They use very little power compared with just about any other household device.

If you are keen on solar power, then it would be better to enjoy economies of scale and solar-power your house. What is special about a phone that makes it particularly desirable to solar-power it , and not everything else?

Then why not use a mains-powered charger? They use very little power compared with just about any other household device.

If you are keen on solar power, then it would be better to enjoy economies of scale and solar-power your house. What is special about a phone that makes it particularly desirable to solar-power it , and not everything else?

The only way I could get the house done is via the scheme where you get free ones and the company gets the feed in tariff. I am thinking about it but I'm not 100% certain my house faces south.

Even if you don't have a compass, maybe look up your house on Google maps - South is straight down the screen AFAIK.

Just take a look at what direction the sun comes from around the middle of the day.

A surface facing anywhere between south-east and south-west will get a decent amount. Though solar heating panels (heat water rather than generate electricity) will give you a much better natural return on investment (so long as you have a use for hot water)!

I'm looking into buying a solar mobile phone charger are there any good ones out there which will work well in the UK even when cloudy?

Is getting one with a battery built in the better option so that the inbuilt battery charges for when you need to charge your phone?

You'll need to spend a bit to get something worthwhile:

http://www.selectsolar.co.uk/cat/24/foldable-solar-panels

So unless you have other reasons than than simply mobile phone charging, I think you are probably wasting your time.

To get the most benefit from a portable solar panel like the above, you would also need something to store the charge, as someone previously mentioned.

A few years ago I got my dad a wind-up torch as he was off to parts of the world with no electricity. It also came with adapters to charge your phone. It did work, but you had to turn the handle quite fast to get a decent charge - I had ago a was bored after about 30seconds. Now I just charge my phone at work (well not really, but I should - everyone else does)...

Most of the market solar chargers are offering about 0.5 watts of power.

You're probably getting between 1 and 3 watts from your USB and wall chargers respectively, assuming your battery runs on 3.7 volts.

Still, if you have no other option, its a handy thing to have, but you'll need a good light source.

FYI, the international space station solar arrays create about 110kW of power, which is proof of the energy in photons, and how the sun is the most reliable energy source in our small universe.