House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

How Most Dieters Blow All Their Efforts On A Drink At Dinner

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1389791/How-dieters-blow-efforts-drink-dinner.html

article-1389791-0C362B5400000578-274_468x234.jpg

I accept the calorific values may be identical but I just don't see this working in terms of putting on weight. I know that there is the Atkins diet which doesn't rely upon calorie counting but I would chip in my experience where I have lost a considerable amount of weight over the last year (now down to what would be described as not fat at all :) ) without moderating my alcohol intake, I routinely drink 4 pints a night (I know not good in other ways but I don't go much over that ever so not getting pissed or hungover). I assume because this is mainly simple carbs then my body (which is doing a load of exercise) is able to easily metabolise this and burn it up, which it would not be doing if I was having an all day breakfast at 9pm as the table would suggest is equivalent.

I understand calories are simple to measure and track but in my experience they have (at best) an indirect effect on gaining / losing weight. Is there a better measure?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1389791/How-dieters-blow-efforts-drink-dinner.html

article-1389791-0C362B5400000578-274_468x234.jpg

I accept the calorific values may be identical but I just don't see this working in terms of putting on weight. I know that there is the Atkins diet which doesn't rely upon calorie counting but I would chip in my experience where I have lost a considerable amount of weight over the last year (now down to what would be described as not fat at all :) ) without moderating my alcohol intake, I routinely drink 4 pints a night (I know not good in other ways but I don't go much over that ever so not getting pissed or hungover). I assume because this is mainly simple carbs then my body (which is doing a load of exercise) is able to easily metabolise this and burn it up, which it would not be doing if I was having an all day breakfast at 9pm as the table would suggest is equivalent.

I understand calories are simple to measure and track but in my experience they have (at best) an indirect effect on gaining / losing weight. Is there a better measure?

Best measure is to pick the weight you want to be and that will tell you the calories you need to eat to maintain it.

So Aprox.

If you want to be 75kg eat 2000 calories

Every 10kg above or below that add/remove 200 calories

The problem with diets is people don't understand this very simple concept above. So a 150kg person who eats 3500 calories goes on a 2000 calories diet until he is 100kg. He is now happy with his weight so stops the diet and goes back to eating 3500 calories. Guess what he tgen goes aback to 150kg.

To stay at his desired 100kg he would need to eat 2500 calories or day on average.

It's not all about weight or calories... Exercise, Body shape, fitness levels, cholesterol levels etc all are pointers towards whether you're going to keel over and die.

Does your liver hurt at 4 pints a night?

my diets start well on 1500 cals.

about 4 weeks later, no cheating and having lost about 8 pounds...it sticks.

Sorry cells I like your theory, but doesnt work for me.

2000 a day and Im off to planet size.

Another problems with booze is that is makes you want to eat more, especially high carb/ fat food. That's why takeaways do so well when people are coming home from the pub. Anyone for a kebab?

Best measure is to pick the weight you want to be and that will tell you the calories you need to eat to maintain it.

So Aprox.

If you want to be 75kg eat 2000 calories

Every 10kg above or below that add/remove 200 calories

The problem with diets is people don't understand this very simple concept above. So a 150kg person who eats 3500 calories goes on a 2000 calories diet until he is 100kg. He is now happy with his weight so stops the diet and goes back to eating 3500 calories. Guess what he tgen goes aback to 150kg.

To stay at his desired 100kg he would need to eat 2500 calories or day on average.

Your formula doesn't take into account the efficiency - or not - of an individual's ability to metabolise. I can lose weight ONLY on a diet of 800 cals a day.

Diets are bad.... work it off instead. Due to lack of steady work I brutalise myself at the gym for 2 hours a day. The gut is considerably smaller but I've not lost any weight as I'm a lot stronger than i was a couple months ago.

Diets are bad.... work it off instead. Due to lack of steady work I brutalise myself at the gym for 2 hours a day. The gut is considerably smaller but I've not lost any weight as I'm a lot stronger than i was a couple months ago.

Yes, good idea, Ken. I used to do that in the gym...till I had a stroke. Now anything more than a gentle swim is out of the question. Any suggestions?

Yes, good idea, Ken. I used to do that in the gym...till I had a stroke. Now anything more than a gentle swim is out of the question. Any suggestions?

You don't have to go so heavy at the gym you know, you can use the easier settings on the machines. A massive bloke just walks on the treadmill at a fairly low speed but puts it on maximum incline.

Its odd, the slightest bit of wine makes my (liver?) hurt, yet i can drink beer or spirits to the point of throwing up without such a pain.

I don't like wine, so its no big deal, but strange all the same.

Oh, and beer seems to act as a laxative on me, so im pretty sure i expel whatever calories it provides me with. I mean, do you ever see a fat alcoholic? Theyre all near emaciated like the chap out of shameless. Im not quite William Hague, 14 pints a day, but most nights i get through about 5 or 6 pints.

shame.jpg

Some of the consumption on this thread is making me feel a lot better. I was beginning to think I was caning it with around 5 bottles of wine a week.

Actually, I started a no booze month yesterday.

Most dieters fail not just because of Booze consumption but also a fundamental lack of Speed and Smack consumption, if they replace each bottle of wine with a kilo of smack or speed (alternating) then the weight will be a problem of yesterday in no time at all

I find counting calories a bit pointless. Just eat and drink what you want (Within reason) and exercise like a ****. Job done.

You don't have to go so heavy at the gym you know, you can use the easier settings on the machines. A massive bloke just walks on the treadmill at a fairly low speed but puts it on maximum incline.

I';m afraid I can't go on the treadmill for any longer than around 3 mins before I' m exhausted - a stroke side effect being researched at the moment. No chance at all on incline.

I';m afraid I can't go on the treadmill for any longer than around 3 mins before I' m exhausted - a stroke side effect being researched at the moment. No chance at all on incline.

Quite, we all have strong and weak points. My legs could run all day or my arms could lift weights all day. Unfortunately my heart gives up after about a minute and i collapse in a heap gasping for air.

I dont count calories. I weigh protein. I eat 6 times a day. I go to the gym 4/5 times a week. I limit cardio to 200 cals worth of work because otherwise my body is eating into muscle instead of growing it. Drink smink, I drink what I want.

I find counting calories a bit pointless. Just eat and drink what you want (Within reason) and exercise like a ****. Job done.

Not everyone is you though, you get older, less active (not always through choice) hormone balances change and so on.

I know people who are killing themselves at the gym, at 50+ and won't achieve the results a 20 year old will doing a fraction of the work.

Not everyone is you though, you get older, less active (not always through choice) hormone balances change and so on.

I know people who are killing themselves at the gym, at 50+ and won't achieve the results a 20 year old will doing a fraction of the work.

Well of course. We are all different. And as others have stated on this thread some have problems that mean doing such exercise with such results is not possible. However for the vast majority of most ages ? I believe it is. Those 60 year olds you see overtaking you during the local 10k ? I don't think they are superhuman. I don't think they are born special. I think the vast majority of them just put in lots of effort and get the rewards.

A 50 something person 'killing themselves' at the gym ? Training properly ? Doing it right ? Sorry - but I am certain most will be much fitter than a 20 year old who does very little. I think age is an excuse for many. Not all of course. People generally get mroe health issues when they get older. May happen to myself. Who knows. However I also know many make excuses and tot up how many days they have been alive on this Earth to convince themselves they simply cannot run up that hill. It is ******** for most. They just cannot be arsed.

It's not all about weight or calories... Exercise, Body shape, fitness levels, cholesterol levels etc all are pointers towards whether you're going to keel over and die.

Does your liver hurt at 4 pints a night?

Nope, it's not strong beer and the cans aren't pints so it's 6.4 units or three pints of pub beer which doesn't affect me at all. If I start creeping up towards 10 units and keep doing it then it does and I stop it for a few days before returning to four.

Its odd, the slightest bit of wine makes my (liver?) hurt, yet i can drink beer or spirits to the point of throwing up without such a pain.

I don't like wine, so its no big deal, but strange all the same.

Oh, and beer seems to act as a laxative on me, so im pretty sure i expel whatever calories it provides me with. I mean, do you ever see a fat alcoholic? Theyre all near emaciated like the chap out of shameless. Im not quite William Hague, 14 pints a day, but most nights i get through about 5 or 6 pints.

Hague has 14 pints a day? Top man. I'm impressed by the 6 as well.

That you never see a fat alcholic is maybe the point I was getting at, that calories do not seem to be equivalent. If they were consuming their 14 pints a day in cream cakes and pork pies they would be enormous, but the calorie count is the same so why aren't they? I think as it's mainly sugars / simple carbs the body is burning it rather than letting it turn into fat. The fat drinkers I have known seem to be those who go for the heavy drinks - guninnes, baileys.

Re ftiness / losing weight I lost mine the same way as ccc. Mental amounts of highly enjoyable exercise. Kept drinking and eating pretty much as before, though I have never been a big eater, the weight went on through lack of exercise caused by many years of stupid hours working. Still doing long but not stupid hours but just force myself out of the door most nights knowing that I'll enjoy it when I get out there.