House Price Crash Forum

Blackpool Relegated

HOLA441

I remember the promotion of Blackpool to the Premier League being heralded as a key factor in bringing badly needed cash to a struggling economy.

The report of November 2008 painted a gloomy picture of a widespread socioeconomic disadvantage.

Parachute payments may go some way to alleviate the suddenness of the impact but the fact remains that future revenues are likely to fall sharply and that Blackpool will continue to slide into all too often just a seedy venue for stag and hen parties.

HOLA442

I remember the promotion of Blackpool to the Premier League being heralded as a key factor in bringing badly needed cash to a struggling economy.

The report of November 2008 painted a gloomy picture of a widespread socioeconomic disadvantage.

Parachute payments may go some way to alleviate the suddenness of the impact but the fact remains that future revenues are likely to fall sharply and that Blackpool will continue to slide into all too often just a seedy venue for stag and hen parties.

No change there then

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

oh I dunno, there are few places one can get a cup of tea for 15p these days, like in the amusements.

Unbelievably cheap place out of season, took Ms cheeznbreed for a curry in November a few years ago, and two mains, rice, nan, side and two beers came to £15

Still though, a bit grim in the amusements when it's just the locals around. Leaving after my cheapo tea, I saw a young mother, kid in Burberry buggy, piling quid coins into a puggy with permafag hanging out of gob (pre smoking ban). I get the impression that might be all there is to do 'til the tourists turn up again.

HOLA446

Unbelievably cheap place out of season, took Ms cheeznbreed for a curry in November a few years ago, and two mains, rice, nan, side and two beers came to £15

Have also had similarly cheap curry in Blackpool, as student in Manchester, whilst trying to impress new German girlfriend. Was sick afterwards, she was too. Always laughed about it afterwards, though! :)

Edit: Shame for Charlie Adam, though. Has been top player recently.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

It might make Holloway shut up for five minutes anyway. Mouthy gashead media whore.

A fellow red?

There will still be football and football supporters spending there money in Blackpool next year, blackpool fc didn't saddle themselves with massive debts and still have trampoline payments so they will be fine - on the other hand west ham are financially like the Greece of the football world.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Dont think their year long presence in the Premier league brought that much money in anyway!!

Bloomfield Road is a relatively small ground with a small away supporters stand. Many away fans probably wouldn't have bothered coming anyway. Alongside that a lot of the Premier league teams they were up against were probably within a 90 minute drive of Blackpool anyway so those that did come wouldn't have stopped over.

Will miss their 'attack dog' brand though, they did provide some value entertainment while they were up.

HOLA4413
Guest eight

My favourite highlight was when he assaulted that Tottingham player :blink:

Worked though, didn't it? Not condoning it but it's not that long ago that that kind of thing was regarded as expected, let alone normal.

eight

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I can see Blackpool from the air at the DZ (its 4 miles away) it looks grim from 14500ft let alone on the ground!

DZ Drop Zone 14500feet? What do you do for a living then sir? Are you the Cadbury's Milk Tray man? :rolleyes: Only drop zones I ever saw were from 800 feet, and that was usually just before I got running colours of green and blue before my eyes as the twists set in.....

HOLA4417

Speaking as a football fan I am very sorry to se them go down.Hovis,as a Brizzle City supporter will disagree but Holloway has been thoroughly entertaining both in his interviews and his teams attacking style of play.It's usual for relegated teams to score fewer than 40 goals in the Premiership,The Tangerines have scored 55, - 4 against Man United in the two fixtures.

HOLA4418
Guest eight

Speaking as a football fan I am very sorry to se them go down.Hovis,as a Brizzle City supporter will disagree but Holloway has been thoroughly entertaining both in his interviews and his teams attacking style of play.It's usual for relegated teams to score fewer than 40 goals in the Premiership,The Tangerines have scored 55, - 4 against Man United in the two fixtures.

I feel a bit sorry for Dudley Campbell. Scored goals at every team he's ever been at, genuinely dangerous, and yet never really gets much recognition. Seems a bit overlooked because of his career path. But I reckon he's easily as good as someone like Bendtner.

eight

HOLA4419

I can't see anything helping or hindering the Blackpool economy, owing to the fact it is an expensive sh! thole. I was forced to go there 3 times, but never ever again. It's run down with no reinvestment. The locals are some of the most morose and unhelpful I've ever had the misfortune to confront. We had big problems with holiday accommodation. The local tourist office didn't want to know.

It's a sick economy. You have a handful of hotel owners and operators who pay poor wages to seasonal staff. A big imbalance which produces and unhealthy economic situation. End of rant (I feel better now).

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

A fellow red?

There will still be football and football supporters spending there money in Blackpool next year, blackpool fc didn't saddle themselves with massive debts and still have trampoline payments so they will be fine - on the other hand west ham are financially like the Greece of the football world.

Most people are on here :)

It just seems entirely affected to me, though I admit I could be biased ;)

HOLA4422

Only visited Blackpool once...never again. I had heard all the stories of what a great seaside town it was....in the fifties!

Liked the trams but the rest of the place is awful. Just miles of ugly concrete promenade bordering the beach.

No attempt at making the place look pretty. Just up the road is Lytham, much more genteel and a nice place to visit.

HOLA4423

i lived in blackpool for 7 years, still go there all the time for work reasons. the place is a sh7thole but having lived all over the place ive yet to find anywhere better for a night out. It truly is a honky tonk kinda town, as wild and tacky as they come but thats what makes it great. if you want pleasant walks through the parks and cream teas and museams then dont come to blackpool, but if its drinking and partying and rollercoasters and decent live bands and comedy shows ect then you wont beat blackpool anywhere.

was at the 0-0 stoke game i just knew after that it was all over for us then, gutted. used to go all the time when i lived there but couldnt get a ticket at the gate no-more. well blackpool got there stadium completed out of the prem money so its in much better position now than it ever was.

up yours liverpool beat home and away lol

HOLA4424

Only visited Blackpool once...never again. I had heard all the stories of what a great seaside town it was....in the fifties!

Liked the trams but the rest of the place is awful. Just miles of ugly concrete promenade bordering the beach.

No attempt at making the place look pretty. Just up the road is Lytham, much more genteel and a nice place to visit.

lytham is full of drug addicts and would be snobs.

its very hard to get paid for jobs in lytham, most builders ect demand cash up front from all the fur coat and no knickers residents. in blackpool they pay you cash and often give you a tip.

lytham is full of w4nk3

HOLA4425

Archived