House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Venice Horrid Apparently

Apparently it doesn't stink as much as it used to 25 years ago but, according to friends who went last year, it's one of the most expensive places on earth.

Apparently it doesn't stink as much as it used to 25 years ago but, according to friends who went last year, it's one of the most expensive places on earth.

Not compared to London or much of Blighty ...

Stinking may be seasonal or something, but no stink when I've been there. As a tourist it's not cheap, but a lot less horrendous than many places I've been: Dublin and Amsterdam to take a couple of non-UK examples. Perhaps a hotel or a meal on the Piazza San Marco would indeed be among the most expensive on Earth, but ten minutes walk away from there isn't!

I went in 1979 (sort of).

The educational cruise I was on docked in Venice and we went straight to the airport.

A rainy February day too. Not the best way to see Venice.

We had a look in May 2009, in the middle of a 38 degree heatwave.

We bought a three day pass on the "vaporetti" (boat buses) and stopped off at most of the terminals for a look around and then back to the cool breeze onboard the vaporetti.

Venice was a little smelly, but the charm outweighed the odour.

We stayed in a really nice modern hotel about five miles from the bridge to Venice and drove in each day, which proved to be a good plan considering the heat. Air conditioned hotel and car were a relief after six hours or so sightseeing in Venice.

Would we go again? Yes, we will.

In the words of Al Murray

"In any other country if a city floods and smells of sh1t, it's considered a national disaster."

Sometimes it is nice to have a change of scenery, when all of the senses that can be suppressed are enlightened. ;)

Sometimes it is nice to have a change of scenery, when all of the senses that can be suppressed are enlightened. ;)

I have just spent a week in Mazury Lakes in Poland. Lovely place. Bit more expensive these days as the Polish Zloty appreciates against the British Peso but still good value. If I had more leave this year I would book a sailing holiday on the lakes.

I'm Italian and I laugh as to why anyone would get so worked up to go and see Venice.

Still, it's better to look at than Milano.

What about Florence? ;)

Ruined by massive ads hung from doges palace and Somalis flogging tat on the beaches all day.

Colleague went a few weeks ago. Loved it - except for the prices. Even going to the loo cost one and a half euros.

I thought Waterloo was bad enough, 30p per p last time. :(

Talking of Somalis flogging tat, over past 2 years have seen masses of Africans selling tat in Athens and Nafplion. Mostly cheap bags and carved wooden stuff.

I haven't been since about 2005 but it seemed quite reasonably priced. About 8euro each way on a train 1.5 hours to get there, then both lunch and dinner in restaurants very close to city centre where I had fine pizza for less than UK price. I didn't stay there but I did look into accom options- seemed quite reasonable to me!

Colleague went a few weeks ago. Loved it - except for the prices. Even going to the loo cost one and a half euros.

I thought Waterloo was bad enough, 30p per p last time. :(

Talking of Somalis flogging tat, over past 2 years have seen masses of Africans selling tat in Athens and Nafplion. Mostly cheap bags and carved wooden stuff.

2 Zloty in Warsaw - 45p FFS!!!!

No wonder every side alley stinks of piss <_<

I've never bought any of this (a firm "no" rather than an expletive) and I don't know anybody who has. How do they make a living?

Went to Venice as a kid, would like to go back but not in the high summer, the only other time I went to Italy (again a while back) it was a couple of days in Florence which was very pleasant and not rammed with tourists. Nice river, bridges, architecture and very laid back. The biggest problem was finding somebody who would admit to speaking English, they all do really but like the French, deny it.

Venice is one of the most photogenic places on the planet. Definitely worth visiting at least once in your life, but it is pricey and avoiding mid-summer is best.

The biggest problem was finding somebody who would admit to speaking English, they all do really but like the French, deny it.

Actually, English isn't spoken that widely in Italy, even hotels will have few staff who are bi-lingual. However, unlike the French the Italians aren't too bothered if you roll up and can't speak any Italian - pointing and a few words from a phrasebook will usually work fine.

I've never bought any of this (a firm "no" rather than an expletive) and I don't know anybody who has. How do they make a living?

God knows - hardly ever saw any of them sell anything. You can't help feeling sorry for them. Last year I ended up buying a little wooden tray, partly because the bloke selling it was evidently mates with the nice old Greek skipper who'd taken us on a day sail. Once we were home it went to the charity shop PDQ.

2 Zloty in Warsaw - 45p FFS!!!!

No wonder every side alley stinks of piss <_<

Did they hand you your two sheet quota of loo roll? Errrr, what happens if you need MORE!

Bruce, that's surely one of the worst parts! Unless you like cheap tat and endless people trying to pick your pocket.....

Beautiful bridge though.

Oh, I didn't go on it, just admired it from 100 yds or so.

In my experience, even though I am obviously fluent in Italian, I'm English with an English accent, and they often prefer to practice their English with me as opposed to having a conversation with me in Italian.

before i went to Italy in Sept' 2007 i spent 9 months learning Italian to the best of my abilities, i have an Italian collegue who helped me with the finer points that the books, CD's etc couldnt/didnt.

i entered into every conversation speaking in Italian, and most replied in English (which i hated) one person replied in German as my Italian Accent was so bad it soundedl ike i was a german person trying to speak Italian.

Venice was lovly, spetember was a perfect time to go, not too many tourists but great weather. lots of the Africans selling tat on most bridges, but they we not "pushy".

i highly recomend you go, and go over to Murano and see the glass works

The people assume that they are being helpful when they speak back to English. Just 'non parlarmi in Inglese per favore, provo a migliare il mio Italiano' - that will shut them up, although I have seen in experience that they'll come back to you in their ridiculous 'dialetto' just to piss you off. Some of these are closer to Arabic than Italian, Ventian being a real offender in this regard.

no doubt they were trying to be helpful, it wasnt a dig at the Italians at all, it was annoying if you know what i mean.

one guy in Venice replied in English, and i replied to him in Italian, he then said in English "please dont speak Italian, my English is far better than your Italian" fair point

before i went to Italy in Sept' 2007 i spent 9 months learning Italian to the best of my abilities, i have an Italian collegue who helped me with the finer points that the books, CD's etc couldnt/didnt.

That's the wrong way to do it. Much better to learn {language} by living amongst its native speakers.

i entered into every conversation speaking in Italian, and most replied in English (which i hated) one person replied in German as my Italian Accent was so bad it soundedl ike i was a german person trying to speak Italian.

I had that kind of response (for a period) when I lived there. Italians would try to speak their "foreign", regardless of whether it was German (older people), English (the younger), or French (somewhere in the middle). As a rule, I could rarely understand any of those attempts (except when in touristy places, where they would speak acceptable English).

Didn't happen right at first when my italian was limited to pointing at something and one or two words. Nor did it happen once I was up to speed and could hold reasonable (albeit obviously foreign) conversation. But that intervening period between a few weeks and a few months ...

Ruined by massive ads hung from doges palace and Somalis flogging tat on the beaches all day.

I was there last year.

The Bridge of Sighs was also daubed with adverts.

Enjoyed the experience though - glad i saw it all before it sinks into the Adriatic

:o