House Price Crash Forum
OnlyMe

1,500 Jobs Axed At Steel Giant Tata

Construction?

Who is going to open a new factory in the UK without very exceptional reasons - nobody. There has been abject refusal to correct the cost imbalances so the job losses will continue as will the offshoring and outsourcing.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/1500-jobs-axed-at-steel-giant-tata-2286838.html

1,500 jobs axed at steel giant Tata

Friday, 20 May 2011

Sponsored Links

A Government task force was set up today to help workers at steel giant Tata after the firm dealt a "devastating blow" by announcing 1,500 job losses.

The Indian company said it was proposing to close or mothball part of its Scunthorpe plant, putting at risk 1,200 jobs, as well as cutting 300 jobs at its site on Teesside.

Tata blamed a decline in the construction industry for the cuts, but it also announced that it will invest £400 million in its Long Products business over the next five years.

I recon that the UK can keep up this ridiculous charade for another 5 years at most. I am glad I am still under 35 because I would not like to be relying on a pension or pwoperdee 'investment'.

"i believe that children are our future......"

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1KjpyHX7X-o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Steel is still doing okay in France, Germany, Italy, Belgium, Sweden, Luxembourg, even Finland for pity's sake.

But the UK? Once it was Privatised British Steel got costs down to as low as anywere in the world. Chronically underinvested for years, managed based entirely on cost of capital and shareholder value in an environment that has been set up to favour banking, not manufacturing.

It's curtains eventually I'm afraid.

• 6 million tonne plant in Orissa (India)
  • 12 million tonne in Jharkhand (India)
  • 5 million tonne in Chhattisgarh (India)
  • 3-million tonne plant in Iran
  • 2.4-million tonne plant in Bangladesh
  • 5 million tonne capacity expansion at Jamshedpur (India)
  • 4.5 million tonne plant in Vietnam (feasibility studies underway)

trouser the carbon credits ...expand where labour costs are lower...unless he gets paid some baksheesh to keep going ....like labour did with Rover and northern crock ..the cons wont so , its asset strip , land sell , and hes gone !

Edited by Tankus

Steel is still doing okay in France, Germany, Italy, Belgium, Sweden, Luxembourg, even Finland for pity's sake.

But the UK? Once it was Privatised British Steel got costs down to as low as anywere in the world. Chronically underinvested for years, managed based entirely on cost of capital and shareholder value in an environment that has been set up to favour banking, not manufacturing.

It's curtains eventually I'm afraid.

Great points. Steel is a global growth industry with all these nations developing and needing so much of it in the mass projects.

We have to ask how Luxembourg can have a successful steel industry, with what must be the highest costs anywhere.. and yet we can't. Your answer goe a long way to explaining it.

On the bright side now that we have chased the evil polluters out of town, there is 1,500 more people who can work to implement David Cameron's carbon reduction targets.

Didnt liebour/Mandelson send some money TATAs way?

I guess govt bribes dont work afterall, they just take the money and run.

Whats the liebour plan now, balls?

The plan was to shaft them with as many carbon taxes as possible

They are now expressing shock at the totally unexpected development of them saying "sod that" and moving everything abroad

The plan was to shaft them with as many carbon taxes as possible

They are now expressing shock at the totally unexpected development of them saying "sod that" and moving everything abroad

Yup next would have come protectionism or preventing them from leaving. East Germany for instance if you don't like it leave. Many did leave to West Germany so they built a massive wall to keep people in.

Hedge hedge hedge

Do it correctly and you survive

Do it wrong and you go bust

The 1500 will be rubbing their hands at the luck

Many will be close to retirement.

One guy at the teessude site was about a month from retirement but as the site closed down & GW was being made redundant he git like 60k more than he would have done

Hedge hedge hedge

Do it correctly and you survive

Do it wrong and you go bust

The 1500 will be rubbing their hands at the luck

Many will be close to retirement.

One guy at the teessude site was about a month from retirement but as the site closed down & GW was being made redundant he git like 60k more than he would have done

I went VR from Dunlop Tyres,Birmingham in 2000 when most of the site was closed down and production moved abroad. Some one from the main factory with about 35 years service,about 2 years left until retirement, who was single, house paid for and would have walked with about £40K came over to replace me. :blink: