House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rantnrave

Off Topic - Marketing Professional's Advice Needed

I'm wondering if anyone with a marketing background could help me here? I work for an international charity - mostly in communications but our marketing manager is away so often, I've gained a lot of experience into this side by picking up projects in his absence.

I've made a speculative application to another international charity for their marketing team leader. Although I don't have an academic background in marketing, I have several years of relevant experience as described above and direct experience of the international charity sector.

They have invited me for an interview and set me the following tasks to complete in advance. The PowerPoint section makes sense to me and I'm fine with that, but I'm finding the rest is poorly explained and communicated. Is that just me being out of my depth or is it vague (see my underlining)? I'm copying as much of the details below as possible without giving specific details of the charity etc. I have emailed them, politely asking to clarify the points, but they haven't replied and I need to get cracking on this over the weekend.

Can anyone also direct me to a good summary of what I should feature in a marketing plan. Any insights would be extremely appreciated!

· Please prepare a PowerPoint presentation for 12 minutes (including question time) on 'How you would raise the profile of this charity and recruit more supporters in an integrated and cost effective way.' Please also include any thoughts on what you would want to learn and find out and any examples as illustrations. We have attached a document explaining why people may want to donate to our work, which should help aid the activity but please feel free to add your own research and experience to this task. Our UK web site will also provide information on our work. Please send this to us before the interview day.

· Please prepare a written draft marketing plan for one of the above examples with a business case for investment to reach one market of your choosing for our organisation. This should be no longer than 6 pages long. Please bring this plan and leave it with the interview panel on the day.

I'm wondering if anyone with a marketing background could help me here? I work for an international charity - mostly in communications but our marketing manager is away so often, I've gained a lot of experience into this side by picking up projects in his absence.

I've made a speculative application to another international charity for their marketing team leader. Although I don't have an academic background in marketing, I have several years of relevant experience as described above and direct experience of the international charity sector.

They have invited me for an interview and set me the following tasks to complete in advance. The PowerPoint section makes sense to me and I'm fine with that, but I'm finding the rest is poorly explained and communicated. Is that just me being out of my depth or is it vague (see my underlining)? I'm copying as much of the details below as possible without giving specific details of the charity etc. I have emailed them, politely asking to clarify the points, but they haven't replied and I need to get cracking on this over the weekend.

Can anyone also direct me to a good summary of what I should feature in a marketing plan. Any insights would be extremely appreciated!

· Please prepare a PowerPoint presentation for 12 minutes (including question time) on 'How you would raise the profile of this charity and recruit more supporters in an integrated and cost effective way.' Please also include any thoughts on what you would want to learn and find out and any examples as illustrations. We have attached a document explaining why people may want to donate to our work, which should help aid the activity but please feel free to add your own research and experience to this task. Our UK web site will also provide information on our work. Please send this to us before the interview day.

· Please prepare a written draft marketing plan for one of the above examples with a business case for investment to reach one market of your choosing for our organisation. This should be no longer than 6 pages long. Please bring this plan and leave it with the interview panel on the day.

Seems relatively straightforward, although the first bit you underlined seems a bit ambiguous I agree - I presume they mean what you want to learn about the market? So that means what sort of market research/insight you would carry out. It's always good to also ask questions yourself about the organisation anyway.

I presume the second bit you underlined means choosing one of the "examples" (I guess this is different products or services shown on the web site) and preparing a marketing plan for how to attack that market. Should be pretty straight-forward in terms of doing the marketing plan. They'll probably expect a SWOT analysis and 4Ps or 7Ps but try to stick in something innovative as well IMO.

Looks like they're asking for candidates to give them lots of ideas!! HTH, and good luck.

Seems relatively straightforward, although the first bit you underlined seems a bit ambiguous I agree - I presume they mean what you want to learn about the market? So that means what sort of market research/insight you would carry out. It's always good to also ask questions yourself about the organisation anyway.

I presume the second bit you underlined means choosing one of the "examples" (I guess this is different products or services shown on the web site) and preparing a marketing plan for how to attack that market. Should be pretty straight-forward in terms of doing the marketing plan. They'll probably expect a SWOT analysis and 4Ps or 7Ps but try to stick in something innovative as well IMO.

Looks like they're asking for candidates to give them lots of ideas!! HTH, and good luck.

That is helpful and confirms what I thought about the first sentence. The key here, and what I emailed them about, is what they meant by the word 'example' in both of the points. Charities don't actually produce anything, so in essence it is a service we are marketing (off the record, making people feel good about giving to what the charity does!). Ideas I have plenty of - it's just dressing it up in the inhouse marketing lingo!

I am prepping for a digital marketing position this weekend.

Hopefully you can find something they are not doing well / or at least not 'best in class', and build on that, making the interviewers feel comfortable. I have found that trying to guess the companies current knowledge of digital marketing, and what lingo they understand is very difficult. I pitched for an ecommerce build recently, and gave a bit too much credit to the organisation for their ecommerce knowledge, they had none. My delivery of a cutting edge site using named tools with integrated social media, sophisticated SEM and a range of merchandise went too far.

Regardless, avoid using acronyms, and credit their current efforts (the face of one of the panel when I told them they were not doing well enough on a particular search term and why was my doom at one interview). Be careful with lingo, the worst thing about this is people will nod and smile, and not reveal that they haven't got a clue what you are talking about. I try and use layman's terms as well.

Of course, this is if you are going to focus on digital. The first thing I would look at is 'is it easy to give to this charity?'

Thanks again to everyone taking the time to post here.

For the second part, I have decided to do a SWOT analysis of marketing the charity to youth. From experience, I know younger folk are less likely to commit long-term to a charity unquestionably in the way older folk do, but are happier to give toward a clearly defined project. I can harp on about the challenges of social media - minimal cost to set up etc but can consume time for other projects only for people to tick 'I Like'. Done succesfully it needs to be a way for the charity (or any business) to not just inform but connect with the organisation. In the Weakness section of marketing a charity to youth, I'll naturally bring up the financial challenges they face (excuse to slip in some HPC comments). Ultimately I want to suggest that charities have no alternative but to try and engage more with younger people since by default they are next generation of givers.

If anybody has any good stats / sources / sites of trends in young people's behaviour re Facebook, charity giving, showing their lack of willingness to unquestionably commit etc that would be really appreciated!