House Price Crash Forum

Buyers Fear They Won't Get On The Property Ladder Until They're 43 - And A Third Have Just Given Up Even Trying

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1389012/British-time-buyers-fear-wont-property-ladder-40--given-trying.html

Outside capital, buyers expect to be 38 when buy their first home

Average deposits 23%, meaning £34k on a £150k house

Buyers do not expect to be able to afford their first home until they are 43 if they live in London and 38 if they live outside the capital.

Furthermore, faced with high prices and the need for big deposits, nearly a one third have given up even trying to get on the property ladder.

The number of different mortgages available for first-time buyers has increased by nearly 200 during the past year, but at 1,581, the level of choice is still running at around a 10th of the level seen before the credit crunch.

First-time buyers are also still putting down average deposits of 23 per cent of their home's value, meaning someone buying a £150,000 property would have to save £34,500, according to moneysupermarket.com

It's almost as if they can't force people to borrow money...

HOLA442
HOLA443

If they won't the government will borrow on your behalf!

They will indeed, from the article...

Housing Minister Grant Shapps said he recognised the 'huge difficulties' first time buyers often face due to the lack of large deposits.

He added that £500million had been made available over the next two years for deposits on new build homes as part of the government's Firstbuy Scheme.

It is hoped this will help 10,000 people to get a foot one the property ladder.

Different government, same old stupidity. At some point the markets are going to wake up to the fact there is no austerity!

HOLA444

Different government, same old stupidity. At some point the markets are going to wake up to the fact there is no austerity!

Just madness from the government. Can the Right Honorable Grant Shapps see that all that taxpayer money is doing is helping 10000 people get on to the housing ladder, at the expense of a different 10000 who could have got on to the ladder but will now be outbid?

Those 10000 are suffering the housing equivalent of being shot in the head, and having to foot the bill for the execution.

HOLA445

why would they when it's a credit of their account?

HOLA446
HOLA447

Write Shapps off.

Doesnt give a t@ss about FTB.

None of them do.

Labour, Tories, Lib Dems.

All willing supporters and beneficiaries of the biggest fraud in history.

They only want to create debt slaves.

Id like to see all politicians horse whipped. Publicly flogged, then placed in the stocks, whilst people throw excrement at them.

Edited by Dan1

HOLA448
HOLA449

I like your thinking here B)

its rather drab, despite being fortunate enough through an accident of birthdate to have benefitted from 2 booms and subsequent currency depreciation under Blair, Brown and Cameron and understanding that its a systemic and time based thing id like to see (doing the deed would be too much to ask for) every politician shot at point blank range with an elephant gun and recorded so i could watch it in slomo when i got home

Not through blame but simply because they are all systematically lying coonts which should be the recognised definition of politics, until it is recognised by enough people to scare them they will all continue to bend over the electorate and redistribute amongst their chosen clique

Edited by georgia o'keeffe

HOLA4410

There is a likihood that, apart from the banks going t*ts up, the low number of FTBs may be down to demographic changes.

The boomers have hit 65.

The busters have now hit peak 'house buying' age - 30-40.

Its a triple whammy - banks gone bust (no cpaital = no lending), end of SLES + demographics changes.

The number of people trying to sell is about 3 times larger than the number of buyers.

Imagine what will happen when sellers realise this - big cut in price or no sale.

HOLA4411

Write Shapps off.

Doesnt give a t@ss about FTB.

None of them do.

Labour, Tories, Lib Dems.

True, but thats only temporary, the housing market needs FTBs to support the property market. Back when FTBs were initially priced out the BTL investors took their place due to the lax credit standards and mortgage fraud, partly using increased home equity. It was a positive feed back loop that helped push prices higher beyond the point were all but the most wealthy FTBs with access to the bank of mum and dad were priced out.

HOLA4412

There is a likihood that, apart from the banks going t*ts up, the low number of FTBs may be down to demographic changes.

The boomers have hit 65.

Its a triple whammy - banks gone bust (no cpaital = no lending), end of SLES + demographics changes.

The number of people trying to sell is about 3 times larger than the number of buyers.

Imagine what will happen when sellers realise this - big cut in price or no sale.

+1 good post

plus the busters' demographic continues, with a likkle boomlet in people born 1983ish (so 35 in 2018, mini boom then), right thru in a large baby-bust until about 2005 when it picks up again, so the next significant demographic boom is not until 2005+35 = the year 2040!!

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

The boomers have hit 65.

yup, although I wonder about the demand for downsizing amongst boomer. Seems perfectly sensible on the face of it, but Ms cheeznbreed's parents are now looking to upsize to allow family visits now the kids have longterm partners and kids in tow themselves. They were originally looking to buy a bigger place but now are looking at extending their current place. Perhaps this is not 'the norm', though but I have little other direct experience other than my own parents, who did move from a house to a flat (F.K.W. tbh), but both of similar interior sizes. I guess both sets of parents were not troubled by debt etc (AFAIK) so there is little pressure for them to change. That may not be the case for many.

Edited by cheeznbreed

HOLA4415

This is already happening. And for the large 6 and 7 bed houses in Maida Vale and Chelsea we just need some asylum seekers with 7 kids so the council can pay the LLs their rent.

According to my council website, there is no longer any HB rate for anything more than a 4 bed. The most per week that can be paid anywhere is £400 per week.

In my area it's £368.08.

HOLA4416

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/news/armed-forces-to-get-top-housing-priority/6515188.article

Fought for your country?

Been paid a pittance and unable to afford to live in the country you fought for?

Why not get a tiny home and a lifetime of debt (mortgage).

You fought for the bankers country, now prop up their business!

HOLA4417

According to my council website, there is no longer any HB rate for anything more than a 4 bed. The most per week that can be paid anywhere is £400 per week.

In my area it's £368.08.

Oh dear god!

How much is the minimum price of a 4 bed with such a high rental yield.

Taxpayers funding that housing benefit earn less than that, pay tax and come out with even less!

HOLA4418

Good, but is this just for new claimants, the existing ones are still getting the money (the LLs not the people living in the property). IIRC the time limit was extended by a year (hope I am wrong).

There's a comprehensive (i.e. too large to cut and paste) guide on changes from April 2011 here http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/500180/housing_benefit/5005/rule_changes_for_housing_benefit_and_council_tax_benefit_from_april_2011/1

and on changes from April 2012 here

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/500180/housing_benefit/5005/rule_changes_for_housing_benefit_and_council_tax_benefit_from_april_2011/2

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

yup, although I wonder about the demand for downsizing amongst boomer. Seems perfectly sensible on the face of it, but Ms cheeznbreed's parents are now looking to upsize to allow family visits now the kids have longterm partners and kids in tow themselves. They were originally looking to buy a bigger place but now are looking at extending their current place. Perhaps this is not 'the norm', though but I have little other direct experience other than my own parents, who did move from a house to a flat (F.K.W. tbh), but both of similar interior sizes. I guess both sets of parents were not troubled by debt etc (AFAIK) so there is little pressure for them to change. That may not be the case for many.

Well I hope they are relying on wealth rather than pension as that will go up in smoke and they'll feel the pinch of ever increasing fuel and maintenance bills. Worst case scenario would be being forced to downsize at the wrong time. Retirement flats are tiny for a good reason, oldies just don't need that much space but need heating.

HOLA4421

since when did this tradition of upsizing when you don't need the space come into play?

surely it's the opposite

HOLA4422

It's staggering. And hugely depressing. Yet the nation remains blind to it, and the Govt. continues to shaft people who are literally "homeless". Maybe in this economic climate it'll get even worse. The cons and scams will increase, as desperation to make a buck takes over. Be on your guard.

And then there are the gullible twits who fall for the cons. Such as these lovely chaps..

'I bought a house with my friends'

One says "I'm lucky to have such good friends".

Well try saying that five years down the line once you've grown apart, or one of them has had an affair with your girlfriend.

And then there is this.....

Land 'scams' techniques revealed

"Many were persuaded to pay tens of thousands of pounds for land that is unlikely ever to be built on."

We're watching the wheat separated from the chaff. I do have some sympathy for the victims though. We have the UKs greed and selfishness to thank for this.

Personally I've had enough. :rolleyes:

HOLA4423

And then there is this.....

Land 'scams' techniques revealed

"Many were persuaded to pay tens of thousands of pounds for land that is unlikely ever to be built on."

We're watching the wheat separated from the chaff. I do have some sympathy for the victims though. We have the UKs greed and selfishness to thank for this.

Personally I've had enough. :rolleyes:

Pure greed. They clearly didn't take note of the old saying "if it's too good to be true, then it probably is". You can't protect people from themselves.

HOLA4424

The boomers have hit 65.

Ridiculous post , what about all those under 30 immigrants from Poland doing fruit picking??

There is a massive amount of these newly arrived immigrants ready to buy 200k homes with the large amount of wealth they have accrued by fruit picking and casual labouring.

The housing market is about to BOOM again! :lol:

HOLA4425

Ridiculous post , what about all those under 30 immigrants from Poland doing fruit picking??

There is a massive amount of these newly arrived immigrants ready to buy 200k homes with the large amount of wealth they have accrued by fruit picking and casual labouring.

The housing market is about to BOOM again! :lol:

:lol: