House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Forget That Cosy Twosome: Couples Are Forced To Find Flatmates As Rents Rocket

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1388676/Increasing-number-couples-seeking-share-flatmates-rents-rise.html

The number of couples looking to share a property with housemates has nearly doubled during the past year, research indicated today.

Around 11 per cent of people looking for others to share a flat or house are part of a couple.

Couples can make considerable savings by opting to share with other people, despite having to pay more for their room than if they were single.

Renting a room in a property shared with housemates costs couples an average of £426 a month, compared with £687 to rent a house or flat on their own.

This is a saving of £3,120 a year, even before the lower cost of bills and council tax is factored in.

Go recovery.

Sharing is good for reducing demand on rentals... Which might hurt the odd landlord or two.

Reducing billls by sharing might mean people have more cash to spend on tat too.

I know two young couples with babies who did this. It meant they could get a house together in London. One floor each and shared living space downstairs. Cost more than a 1 - bed but much more space. They both had very different parenting styles though so I don't think it was all rosy.

This is just a sad reflection of high rents. While we bail out bankers and landlords and people argue for low interest rates lest people are forced onto the street this is the flip side of the coin. What kind of life is that, inviting strangers to live in your home? How much privacy can these people expect and what kind of extra pressure will they be put under?

I know two young couples with babies who did this. It meant they could get a house together in London. One floor each and shared living space downstairs. Cost more than a 1 - bed but much more space. They both had very different parenting styles though so I don't think it was all rosy.

Did that but no babies involved, the lodger slept in the second and only other bedroom.....all three worked. ;)

Edit: another missing word...slap wrist, must read post before posting. ;)

Edited by winkie

This is just a sad reflection of high rents. While we bail out bankers and landlords and people argue for low interest rates lest people are forced onto the street this is the flip side of the coin. What kind of life is that, inviting strangers to live in your home? How much privacy can these people expect and what kind of extra pressure will they be put under?

Where markets are allowed to operate, they work. If you have ten houses and one hundred people, no matter how you allocate that housing space, you wont like the result. Some houses may end up crowded, some people may end up on the street, that is the way things happen in a market.

The fools dream is believing that if the state operates the allocation, the result will be better. Well it will be better for some. The rich person will still have his house, but those working will be on the street so that the parents with children, but without jobs, get their entitlements. Those houses still subject to market allocation after the state has done its worse, will be more overcrowded and costly in real terms as a result.

Of course the only way to really ease the total pressure on housing is to end net immigration. Until then you may not like the idea of too many people being crammed in to too little housing, but that is the reality the nation faces.

Of course the only way to really ease the total pressure on housing is to end net immigration. Until then you may not like the idea of too many people being crammed in to too little housing, but that is the reality the nation faces.

HPC was set up to explain/debate the problems of governments/banks doing everything possible to create a property asset bubble with low interest rates etc....yet you just want to blame it all on immigration. There's tons of housing space. We know who took it.

HPC was set up to explain/debate the problems of governments/banks doing everything possible to create a property asset bubble with low interest rates etc....yet you just want to blame it all on immigration. There's tons of housing space. We know who took it.

Enlighten me.

Where I am I see loads of young adults unable to leave home without assistance from the state. I dont see empty houses.

How has this happened?

I have been to more crowded places than the UK, and no matter what you do, people get crammed into the housing available. You see this with developing countries in particular, as people migrate to already crowded cities.

The same is happening in the UK, there is a migration here, and in particular a migration to the more successful cities. Net result, higher house prices and more and more overcrowding.

Thats how it appears to me at least. Have I missed something? Where is this 'tons of housing space'? And who took it? Are you talking about the housing that is now BTL?

Enlighten me.

Where I am I see loads of young adults unable to leave home without assistance from the state. I dont see empty houses.

How has this happened?

I have been to more crowded places than the UK, and no matter what you do, people get crammed into the housing available. You see this with developing countries in particular, as people migrate to already crowded cities.

The same is happening in the UK, there is a migration here, and in particular a migration to the more successful cities. Net result, higher house prices and more and more overcrowding.

Thats how it appears to me at least. Have I missed something? Where is this 'tons of housing space'? And who took it? Are you talking about the housing that is now BTL?

In London the immigration is having an affect at both ends of the market.

The wealthy from across the globe are buying and or renting pushing the prices up for the scarce amount of property avaliable .

When it comes to social housing if as im am seeing unworking immigrants are getting the social housing as their need is seen as higher priority than those already here we have 20 year waiting lists for council housing . The population already here is being pushed out at both ends.