House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Gordon Brown Makes Imf Pitch As Race To Succeed Strauss-Kahn Intensifies

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/may/20/gordon-brown-imf-strauss-kahn

Gordon Brown will stake his claim to be the next head of the International Monetary Fund with a speech in South Africa on Friday urging rich western nations to meet their pledges on education to the world's poor.

As jockeying began to fill the job of managing director of the Washington-based organisation left vacant by the resignation of Dominique Strauss-Kahn, the former prime minister will seek to negate opposition to his candidature from David Cameron's coalition government with a direct appeal to developing countries.

Brown will share a platform with Graça Machel, the wife of Nelson Mandela, to launch his review of education, criticising the G8 countries for their failure to provide the aid necessary to meet the United Nations target of putting every child into school by 2015.

"My concern is that the international community is failing to honour a promise made to the world's children – a promise that the G8 underwrote," Brown says in the report. "And my conviction is that this is both unnecessary and counter-productive. It combines indefensible ethics with unsound economics."

Bookmakers have made Brown an outsider for the IMF job, installing the French finance minister Christine Lagarde as favourite to succeed her fellow countryman following his arrest at the weekendin New York over sexual assault allegations.

Brown, however, is highly regarded in Africa for his work on debt relief and development, and admired by the leading emerging nations such as China for co-ordinating the global response to the financial crisis of 2008-09. While the former prime minister has not launched a formal campaign, he would be willing for his name to be put forward for the job.

If there is one thing Gordon is an expert on it's unsound economics.

However it would be amusing watching him destroy the IMF.

Brown won't get the job.

Something tells me the Americans want someone far more right wing. A person who will be more sympathetic to the poor US of A and it's declining USD.

PS. Did the US government agree to raise the debt ceiling (from $14.3 Trillion) or did they kick the can down the road again?

Brown won't get the job.

Something tells me the Americans want someone far more right wing. A person who will be more sympathetic to the poor US of A and it's declining USD.

PS. Did the US government agree to raise the debt ceiling (from $14.3 Trillion) or did they kick the can down the road again?

See this thread

They've just gone for stealing pension funds instead.

See this thread

They've just gone for stealing pension funds instead.

Thanks for that. I can't help but feel sorry for the poor sods who actually trust their money to the US government. Pension funds are so 20th century.

So yes, I see good ole Geithner and co. have once again kicked the can into August. When what happens exactly? Who knows?? Can we place bets on the collapse of the USD? Or is the "new" head of the IMF going make sure that doesn't happen....

Zimbabwe will vote for him, their policies are very similar...

Last I heard they were trying to make their currency a reserve currency by backing it with metals :lol:

Apparently they claim that they were following UK and US fiscal policy by copious amounts of QE and as that hasn't worked are going to try underwriting it with metals. So if effect the complete opposite of his policy.

Every week he is at a different International Conference.

It is a fact that as for Blair, the taxpayer will be paying all the costs for the bodyguards, but who is paying for G B's round the world trips with all the associated expenses?

He went economy class on his honeymoon because it was coming out of his own pocket, but I bet like Blair he is not travelling and staying economy now!

I don't mind if GB gets to be head of IMF as long as he follows closely behind Strauss-Kahn into riker island prison

I presume they accept gifts for prisoners? I'd be happy to send Gordo some extra-slippery soap.

Theres an amusing article in the telegraph about Mandelson getting the invite from china.

No, but oh how so amusing it'd be to see broon's face!

I don't mind if GB gets to be head of IMF as long as he follows closely behind Strauss-Kahn into riker island prison

I'm actually coming round to the idea.

If he became head of the IMF the entire 'glow-ball economy' would instantly collapse, and a new paradigm will emerge based on exchanging fair value for goods and services from the rubble.

Ironically he would then have legitimate claim to have saved the world, although by then he will hopefully have his head permanently displayed on a pike in Trafalgar Square as a warning to future generations.

When you do that with people's lives like he said about house prices not getting out of control, and when you do things like that about a woman like Gillian Duffy - I've kept really quiet, but I'll tell you something, he went down in my estimation when he said that - we have not resorted to that. But I'll tell you - you can tell him now if you're watching it - we're still fighting for this country, and he's got to go to New York and get something, and... and I tell you honestly, I will love it if he gets sent down... LOVE IT! *

(* thank you Kevin Keegan).

How will he be able to fit in time for such a job along with all the charitable work he said he was going to be doing (rather than doing self promotion) if he lost the 2010 general election.

Ref: Interview with Piers Morgan February 2010 in the run up to the general election.

He'd make an excellent 'patsy', again.

"I tried to stop the nasty bankers but they just wouldn't listen to me, so I gave them a £trillion and bonuses that would make your eyes bleed instead"

Nailed on.

"(Brown) is going for the African vote"

Hmm... "African" vote you say... to replace Kahn, who resigned after being accused of sexual attack by a ... "maid, a widow from Guinea in west Africa" ...

Kahn may have gone crazy, and be guilty. We don't know yet. But my first impression was of a honey-trap, perhaps linked to the French presidential election. That initial suspicion reduced when I heard the victim was a recent African immigrant. It didn't fit well with French clients somehow.

I doubt Brown would do such a thing, but... Is Guinea's government, by any chance, supporting Brown? :unsure:

Gordon Brown Makes IMF Pitch As Race To Succeed Strauss-Kahn Intensifies

GB will be the next head of the IMF, the decision was settled signed and sealed behind closed doors when he ceased to be the PM of the UK. It has come earlier than they thought due to the indiscretions alleged by the current head ( now resigned )of the IMF. ;)