House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Fury As Council Sets Up Estate Agency

A WELSH council has infuriated private businesses after becoming what is thought to be the first local authority in the UK to launch its own estate agency.

Angry estate agents have taken their complaints about Neath Port Talbot council’s new venture to First Minister Carwyn Jones and other senior public figures.

But the local authority has strongly defended its decision to open a business that will sell and let homes from Carmarthen to Cardiff.

Property Bay Wales, which is run from the civic centre in Port Talbot, is the trading name of a company wholly owned by the council. Yesterday its website was offering only one property for sale.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2011/05/20/fury-as-council-sets-up-estate-agency-91466-28729523/#ixzz1MsEVNaaG

This is worse than Tesco joining the estate agency game.

Here you have a newforce joining the area, who have tax payer backing and are literally invulnerable to the ups and downs of the market cycle.

Perhaps there is a jobless EA who has a friend in the council....

---

No wonder there is fury.

And they are charging lower fees undercutting everyone else. There is no shortage of EAs either.

Advertising on radio - using tax payers money too!

It's not cricket is it? Time to join the oligarchy and learn the secret handshake.

Im sure I saw this on this news last year, weren't they going to massively undercut the fees of local agents? I think that is why they are so angry. I doubt the other agencies would be bothered if another standard estate agent opened up in town.

And they are charging lower fees undercutting everyone else. There is no shortage of EAs either.

The death of the estate agent is at hand. About to go down the same dumper as the high street travel agent. I suspect EAs only make money on lettings these days. I give it 12 months before one of the property portals like Rightmove open up to private sellers.

Peter Morgan, another Port Talbot estate agent, said: “Whatever the council says, it is able to undercut established estate agents because it is using its own offices and doesn’t have the expense of operating on the high street. Their standard fee is £895 plus VAT – I wouldn’t get out of bed for that,” he said.

“It leaves a very bad taste in the mouth.”

:lol::lol::lol:

fck me its going parabolic, they could have 10 million properties by the end of the year

The funny thing is, being invulnerable, theres no incentive to push to 10 million properties. They can sell 10 proprties a year no problem, tax payers are paying them anyway! The money is in the bag!

---

It's like renters and FTB competing with people with housing benefit (paid for by them from taxation). Now its EA getting a taste of the same poison.

Edited by Money Spinner

Is this one near you TMT? You should stop visiting the usual parasites and go here instead!

I hope this gets roles across the country. It costs less to sell your house and the tax payer gets a tidy profit.

He thinks he's Linda Evangelista.

:lol:

I wonder how many properties they need to sell a year to break even - 100? I suspect that is a sizeable chunk of the yearly house sales in Neath Port Talbot.

Also, if they wish to attract sales from the much larger nearby Swansea then they are going to need a prescence in the city I guess.

But it is a start.

Is this one near you TMT? You should stop visiting the usual parasites and go here instead!

I hope this gets roles across the country. It costs less to sell your house and the tax payer gets a tidy profit.

About 10 miles away.

If you were flogging one of the over-priced houses in Swansea their fixedfee could save you many thousands. I fear that people are partly lazy and partly want the perceived snob factor of an EA - for now.

Never thought i would agree with the estate agents but i do here , this is a disgrace

Well, I'm not so sure. They seem to offer more than the national government - at least bang for buck in the sales process.

He'll be getting out of bed for £50 a week and the dole queue soon... :lol:

Along with all the rest of them. After all what exactly do EAs do in selling a house that would be worth much more than £895 anyway?

• Take a dozen photos

• Put picture up in window

• Create a web page

• Call the dozen buyers the have on the books

• Tell people where the house is

• Stick an ad in the local rag

I would think that £895 per sale is good business for that.

"It leaves a very bad taste in the mouth."

I'd renege on my lifetime heterosexual orientation, just for the fun of leaving a very bad taste in an EA's mouth.

In fact several of them...

No, screw it. I'd take the whole of today off, and do every single one of the b@stards in Farnham.... :lol:

I'd renege on my lifetime heterosexual orientation, just for the fun of leaving a very bad taste in an EA's mouth.

In fact several of them...

No, screw it. I'd take the whole of today off, and do every single one of the b@stards in Farnham.... :lol:

Thanks for be willing to take one for HPC :blink:

Along with all the rest of them. After all what exactly do EAs do in selling a house that would be worth much more than £895 anyway?

• Take a dozen photos

• Put picture up in window

• Create a web page

• Call the dozen buyers the have on the books

• Tell people where the house is

• Stick an ad in the local rag

I would think that £895 per sale is good business for that.

You left one out:

• Forget to bring keys when showing a house

190307_196355700395299_160703137293889_551715_5264088_n.jpg

Learn the handshake it will get you far!

and from left to right we have:

Janet feelgood from the suicide help department (note the fashionable cut covers (M+S online, £50 per pair, other colours available)), Lady Mary Dalrympold, (board), Jane Stripe (Mortgage and theft advisor), Tiffany Thrump (Agent Sales), Margaret Hardbody ( health and safety) and Juliet Greytrousers from Diversity.

Absent from the picture were Gupta Turbin and Anaglypta Black person who were on courses at the time, and Sarah Buninoven ( maternity leave)