House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

corevalue

So It Always Was

The city has purchased dishonor: has purchased herself! Despoiled by herself, no avenger to wipe out the stigma Twin maelstroms of debt and of usury suck down the commons. No home with clear title, no citizen free from a mortgage, But as some slow wasting disease all unheralded fastens Its hold on the vitals, destroying the vigor of manhood, So, fear of the evils impending, impels them to madness. Despair turns to violence, luxury's ravages needs must Repaired be by bloodshed, for indigence safely can venture.

Desperate to use the internet in Singapore I made the mistake of entering a gaming cafe. There must have been a hundred young Singaporean men totally immersed in their vitual world of heroes and villains and I thought to myself these people wouldn't recognize a realblife hero if he came up and pinned a Purple Heart to their chests.

2000 years of history reveals the true nature of the human character; a tiny minority of sociopathic crooks who spoil it for the majority petrified sheep and very few true heroes prepared to stand up and defend the latter from the former.

2000 years of history reveal the true nature of the human character; a tiny minority of sociopathic crooks who spoil it for the majority petrified sheep and very few true heroes prepared to stand up and defend the latter from the former.

People standing up to TPTB have been known to die under unusual circumstances. How would a hero make a mark in a society where the media outlets (and hence most people's thoughts) are part of the establishment. I see few in the public eye I trust or believe in.

People standing up to TPTB have been known to die under unusual circumstances. How would a hero make a mark in a society where the media outlets (and hence most people's thoughts) are part of the establishment. I see few in the public eye I trust or believe in.

Agreed.

We live in a world where heroes are obfuscated from view by consumerism and obstructed from heroic acts by bureaucracy.

Millions honour themselves by wearing the Superman 'S' but the same people mock, sneer and shun the notion they should themselves take action.

Consumerism has substituted ego for honour.

Heaven forbid that the people should adopt the chivalry that their fictional heroes depict.

The writers of Batman Begins laid down the challenge, even if as expected it went over the heads of the audience when Batman said:

"It's not who you are inside, but what you do that defines you."

I choose to do.

Agreed.

We live in a world where heroes are obfuscated from view by consumerism and obstructed from heroic acts by bureaucracy.

Millions honour themselves by wearing the Superman 'S' but the same people mock, sneer and shun the notion they should themselves take action.

Consumerism has substituted ego for honour.

Heaven forbid that the people should adopt the chivalry that their fictional heroes depict.

The writers of Batman Begins laid down the challenge, even if as expected it went over the heads of the audience when Batman said:

"It's not who you are inside, but what you do that defines you."

I choose to do.

Reminds me of the H. Scott Peck Quote

"Love is not a feeling. Love is an action, an activity. . .Genuine love implies commitment and the exercise of wisdom. . . . love as the will to extend oneself for the purpose of nurturing one's own or another's spiritual growth.....true love is an act of will that often transcends ephemeral feelings of love or cathexis, it is correct to say, 'Love is as love does'."

- Scott Peck

(btw, he was not in the Human League band ;) )

As Bill Hicks said .. a choice between love and fear

Desperate to use the internet in Singapore I made the mistake of entering a gaming cafe. There must have been a hundred young Singaporean men totally immersed in their vitual world of heroes and villains and I thought to myself these people wouldn't recognize a realblife hero if he came up and pinned a Purple Heart to their chests.

2000 years of history reveals the true nature of the human character; a tiny minority of sociopathic crooks who spoil it for the majority petrified sheep and very few true heroes prepared to stand up and defend the latter from the former.

It's cultural. Over here you'll get hundreds of young men doing something else with their days and nights, but are equally as unproductive. At least the Singaporeans aren't harming any one.