House Price Crash Forum
chegwinmajor

Jonathan Davis On 5 Live

Seriously no offence meant to JD, but every time I hear him on the radio, I can't help but think that a little money spent on some public speaking lessons might be a good idea. It always seems to get a bit manic.

Seriously no offence meant to JD, but every time I hear him on the radio, I can't help but think that a little money spent on some public speaking lessons might be a good idea. It always seems to get a bit manic.

I suspect, like me, he doesn't give a **** anymore

Yet another great HPC contribution from Jonathan Davis and I think he did exceptionally well up against 3 pro-HPI VIs (two of which work for the BBC).

By its very nature this type of "discussion" is an infomercial for the property industry - estate agents, mortgage brokers, mortgage lenders, property developers, chartered surveyors, even DIY chains. In fact, the only people who seem to raise the conversation about renting vs buying are those who "own" property, as if they're trying to justify it to themselves somehow and realise that the only way they can advance up the pyramid, sorry, ladder is to entice new entrants in at the bottom. Funny that. Buyer beware!

It's also like a brain washing cult who want you to join them, who can't quite comprehend why you wouldn't. There's no reasoning with such people. Just smile sweetly and nod. They've become institutionalised. They identify themselves and the value of their own life by the size of their mortgage or the value of their home. It's quite bizarre.

Live people. If you can afford to buy then buy. If you can't afford to buy then save up until you can. And if you can never afford to buy then don't worry about it. The government won't see you starve, they won't see you without a roof over your head. You'll be absolutely fine. Rise above it and enjoy your life whatever you choose to do - you only get the one.

Sorry, he didn't sound as assured to me as usual.

There was a lot of irrational anger in his voice, and he also made a huge gaffe (lie?) - "most mortgages taken out are interest only" which is not true (and was corrected by a phone-in caller) in an effort to get his points across.

And the truth is that IF you have the deposit, then it is cheaper in many cases now to buy than to rent. And YES, if rates go up then this will push those at the margins over the precipiece. BUT you can get a cheap rate fixed for 3 years today, during which time you can overpay, so it's not so disastrous if prices do slip more in the next 3 years.

One thing that I'm tired of hearing from the media is "we are obsessed with home ownership"

It's a stupid, stupid statement.

May as well say people are obsessed with being biological rather than adoptive parents.

There was a lot of irrational anger in his voice

yep, but to be fair he is the fireman who has repeatedly been telling people there's a forest fire about to come thru town, the smoke is now billowing thru the windows singeing the curtains and the horses have bolted in fright, and the VIs are saying it's just a bit of fog

Maybee he's possessed by a scottish spirit or lost his bottle?

I like Jonathan Davis. He is asked to give his view. He gives it and backs his points with published facts.

His opinion/view is scary and not what most people want to hear. Who wants bad news?. People are going to lose homes and most can do nothing about it. It`s too late. So the best course of action:

Denial and label JD as a scaremongering fruitcake.

He wasn't quite his usual self.. but he's the only voice we've got.

Good effort JD.. keep fighting the good fight :)

A ) 5+5+1=11

B ) 9=9

B+A=B&A=911

does eRRanta drive a PoRsChE*

RR=roll royce=british

Porchse is german derived from Volkswagen (nazi germany)

WW3 is to be a rerun of WW2

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mortgage

Men marched asleep. Many had lost their homes

But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;

Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots

yep, but to be fair he is the fireman who has repeatedly been telling people there's a forest fire about to come thru town, the smoke is now billowing thru the windows singeing the curtains and the horses have bolted in fright, and the VIs are saying it's just a bit of fog

The world is not the SE of England. Look at NI for example or North of England.

Edited by Killer Bunny

I have to say it sounded like he was ranting to me and the majority of listeners would have just thought he was some kind of nut job. I like JD best when he is the calm rational voice of HPC and comes across as a man speaking sense rather than an evangelical preacher man.

After listening to this I genuinely started to consider buying a house

I have to say it sounded like he was ranting to me and the majority of listeners would have just thought he was some kind of nut job. I like JD best when he is the calm rational voice of HPC and comes across as a man speaking sense rather than an evangelical preacher man.

After listening to this I genuinely started to consider buying a house

Can`t agree there, even the thickest plank is starting to catch on that this property thing is not working out like the idiot lantern said. JD will soon be mainstream.

Can`t agree there, even the thickest plank is starting to catch on that this property thing is not working out like the idiot lantern said. JD will soon be mainstream.

again

The world is not the SE of England. Look at NI for example or North of England.

The simple fact is that people in the UK (with the exception of NI) still believe that property only goes up. This has been brainwashed into them by their parents who even today are prepared to pay the deposits for their siblings. Using NI as an example is useless. Most mainland brits have never been to NI, have no affinity to it and could not care what happens to NI property because it is not here in mainland.

I listened to the media clip and it was all BTL pile in and corrupt bankers and interest only mortgages and and and. It was everything that was done in the past and the population from the midlands down know that house prices in these parts of the mainland (apart from City centre flats) are far higher than 5 years ago. I mean far, far higher by about 30% higher than 5 years ago. So if these arguments are used the population just think. Well we have been through all those things, banking collapse, mortage famine, high deposits, etc, etc, etc and house prices south of Birmingham are up up and away.

Little piece of advice, refresh your arguments, do not use the past as we have been there and the sheeple have survived it, they just think "Is this guy from Waco."

You need to create FUD (Fear Uncertainty and Doubt) for the future and that means you have to present a credible semi black swan event in the future that will crash the housing market that the sheeple believe is credible.

That event is the Torys reducing housing benefits form 2K a week to max 400 quid. Spin it that London has seen rising prices and this money has filtered to the regions so prices in the home counties up, BTL land lords coining it in from taxpayers money, buying more BTL from taxpayer funded profits so forcing price up, Add in the term giant government funded ponzi scheme, then when HB is cut BTL LL rushing for exit fire sales in London first, but meaning that the flow of cash to the SE and home counties stops, so then they get falling prices, it spirals, and you get a large HPC.

Not that difficult to be credible with a little bit if media training and thought is it?

Edited by ralphmalph