House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pyracantha

Misleading Ea Blurb

Title says "detached". Text says "link detached villa". I say it's a semi detached house.

It continues: "On the upper level there is four good sized double bedrooms, master en-suite and house bathroom".

Check out photo 7 - I guess they were going for the brothel look.

Classic.

Any others people want to share?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-30124990.html

Edited by pyracantha

Title says "detached". Text says "link detached villa". I say it's a semi detached house.

It continues: "On the upper level there is four good sized double bedrooms, master en-suite and house bathroom".

Looks like a semi to me. As for ‘villa’, I think we just have to accept that any wee hoose, so long as it’s a house, not a flat, can be called a ‘villa’ in Scottish EA parlance.

Looking at Streetview, many of the houses on that road are detached. One or two might be link-detached, i.e. joined only by their garages. But the picture for this one looks like a semi.

But 330 grand for a cardboard box on a soulless estate on the outskirts of Glasgow’s Southside? That’s obscene! I don’t know the area at all, but is there something special about Giffnock that I should know?

Staggering amount of money for a shoebox. When you look at the value you can get elsewhere in scotland it beggars belief

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-33738548.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-18766854.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-18466899.html

Why anyone pays these prices for overpriced suburban crud has always been beyond me.

Flynn

Why anyone pays these prices for overpriced suburban crud has always been beyond me.

Flynn

Agree that this is not a great house but the ones you link to are miles from anywhere - some of us want to be able to commute in less than an hour each way...

Any others people want to share?

http://www.espc.com/buying/300494.html

In The Region Of £160,000

Features:

1 Reception Room, 2 Bedrooms

EA's Blurb:

Beautifully presented two bed (double bedroom plus boxroom) third floor flat.

So, is it a boxroom or a bedroom???

(BTW, the brochure says it's a 'large dressing room'!!!)

Edited by Pole

http://www.espc.com/buying/300494.html

In The Region Of £160,000

Features:

1 Reception Room, 2 Bedrooms

EA's Blurb:

Beautifully presented two bed (double bedroom plus boxroom) third floor flat.

So, is it a boxroom or a bedroom???

(BTW, the brochure says it's a 'large dressing room'!!!)

If the boxroom had a skylight, they could legitimately call it a second bedroom. As the boxroom does not have a skylight, I believe this blurb and the schedule are in contravention of the regulations. An internal boxroom with no external window cannot be called a bedroom. If you email ESPC, they will probably contact MOV8 and require that they change it.

I did something similar with a flat in Marchmont a few months back. If the search function on this forum ever worked, I could dig out the post where I wrote about it!

Agree that this is not a great house but the ones you link to are miles from anywhere - some of us want to be able to commute in less than an hour each way...

That's a fair point - although it's more like 45-50 minutes to the Edinburgh bypass from the three I gave, but on the other hand you get great schools that are not full of problem kids, more space, peace, beaches etc. and houses are about half the price. I suppose I'm biased as I'm originally from S. England where a 1 hour commute would be considered trivial.

Flynn

That's a fair point - although it's more like 45-50 minutes to the Edinburgh bypass from the three I gave, but on the other hand you get great schools that are not full of problem kids, more space, peace, beaches etc. and houses are about half the price. I suppose I'm biased as I'm originally from S. England where a 1 hour commute would be considered trivial.

Flynn

When both a mother and father work in the city it becomes even more difficult - childcare becomes a nightmare because you have the long journey too and from work and somebody needs to be available. We've looked into this quite a bit as we've been trying to buy in the south side for about 4 years and had almost given up hope. We had figured out that if we moved out to the sticks my wife would need to give up her job as it would not have been feasible for us to manage the commutes and the school run. It was that or they had to go private...

It seems like a nice idea to move out of the city but sometimes the practicalities don't work out.

I have noticed this alot on Rightmove, Warners agents seems to be to most prone to making the mistake of listing terraces/flats as detached houses. A few have recently been corrected so maybe someone is on to them.

Personally I have more of an issue with the fisheye lenses they use. A flat in my block was on the market for ages and the photos were hilarious and missleading to the extreme.

Staggering amount of money for a shoebox. When you look at the value you can get elsewhere in scotland it beggars belief

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-33738548.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-18766854.html

I have a friend who comes from Eyemouth. She says (forgive me if I’m paraphrasing here) that it’s full of inbreds and drug addicts! Although the landscape is undeniably beautiful …

I have a friend who comes from Eyemouth. She says (forgive me if I'm paraphrasing here) that it's full of inbreds and drug addicts! Although the landscape is undeniably beautiful …

She's right to an extent, although much less so than most parts of Edinburgh.

Not quite sure how this came up as neither of the two houses are in Eyemouth.

Flynn

She's right to an extent, although much less so than most parts of Edinburgh.

Not quite sure how this came up as neither of the two houses are in Eyemouth.

Two of them have Eyemouth addresses on Rightmove. I must admit I didn’t look into the exact locations – I just saw the name of a place I recognised and spouted forth with an ill-informed post!

Because it is so sparsely populated around there, I suppose a post town like Eyemouth would cover a vast area of country, so the houses may be miles from Eyemouth despite their addresses.