House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cartimandua51

Cold Calling By Debt Management Firms

Over the last couple of weeks I've had lots of calls about "the gov'ts new scheme for debt relief". I'm on the TPS, and when I mention this they just slam the phone down. Is anyone else out there suffering this hassle? Any solutions?(I'm looking speculatively at my dog whistle, but that would just get the minimum-wage monkey on the other end.....

Over the last couple of weeks I've had lots of calls about "the gov'ts new scheme for debt relief". I'm on the TPS, and when I mention this they just slam the phone down. Is anyone else out there suffering this hassle? Any solutions?(I'm looking speculatively at my dog whistle, but that would just get the minimum-wage monkey on the other end.....

Yes, I get loads of them as well. Most of them are pre-recorded messages, so you don't even get the satisfaction of screaming at them.

Any one needing debt management should go with CCCS - it's free, whereas private firms charge more per month than any individual creditor receives.

if you're on the TPS, follow up a complaint - they'll get fined massively

I just dont answer the phone anymore tbh. There are few people that I want to talk to and even more that have my mobile number, likewise for the wife so I dont answer the phone. If it is important they will ring the mobile.

Over the last couple of weeks I've had lots of calls about "the gov'ts new scheme for debt relief". I'm on the TPS, and when I mention this they just slam the phone down. Is anyone else out there suffering this hassle? Any solutions?

Put anonymous call reject on your line. This is a service that by law, phone companies have to provide if you ask for it. However, they don't advertise it, because if large numbers of people did this, cold callers would be stopped in their tracks and the phone companies make a lot of money out of cold callers. It costs a bit (£4 a month from TalkTalk for me), but it stopped 99.99% of cold calls to my line. I might get one or two a year originating from overseas, but that's it. With this in place, if anyone calls from a withheld number, your phone doesn't even ring: they'll just get a recorded message along the lines of "This subscriber does not accept calls from withheld numbers. Please try again, without withholding your number."

Those 0800 numbers cost me a bloody fortune when dialled from a mobile.

Say No to 0870 - a website that provides geographical, national rate (i.e. can be called as part of inclusive minutes packages from brainfryers) alternatives to 08XX numbers. I've found that they usually have one for around two out of every three 08 numbers that I've needed to call. Sometimes when you call these numbers you'll get a recorded message telling you that this number is only for callers from overseas, and that UK callers should phone the 08 number. The solution to that is to dial the prefix 141 before the number: this withholds your number from the other end, so that they can't see where you're calling from and will let you through.

I just dont answer the phone anymore tbh. There are few people that I want to talk to and even more that have my mobile number, likewise for the wife so I dont answer the phone. If it is important they will ring the mobile.

I keep receiving calls from Kichens Direct, despite countless times when I said "no thank you" and asked them not to call back. (Sometimes they even call on Sunday mornings).

What I've done recently is assigning them a silent ringtone. Now my phone doesn't ring when they're trying to call :)

Another annoyance that started recently are the SMSs from bogus companies promising compensation from your bank/insurance:

"Our records indicate you may be entitled to £xxx for the accident you had. To claim for free reply with YES to this msg. To opt out text STOP"

I keep receiving calls from Kichens Direct, despite countless times when I said "no thank you" and asked them not to call back. (Sometimes they even call on Sunday mornings).

What I've done recently is assigning them a silent ringtone. Now my phone doesn't ring when they're trying to call :)

Another annoyance that started recently are the SMSs from bogus companies promising compensation from your bank/insurance:

"Our records indicate you may be entitled to £xxx for the accident you had. To claim for free reply with YES to this msg. To opt out text STOP"

Tell them they should have called last month you have just spent £5k on a new kitchen. ;)

What I've done recently is assigning them a silent ringtone. Now my phone doesn't ring when they're trying to call

Doesn't work if the cold caller withholds their number, which in my experience most do.

Put anonymous call reject on your line. This is a service that by law, phone companies have to provide if you ask for it. However, they don't advertise it, because if large numbers of people did this, cold callers would be stopped in their tracks and the phone companies make a lot of money out of cold callers. It costs a bit (£4 a month from TalkTalk for me), but it stopped 99.99% of cold calls to my line. I might get one or two a year originating from overseas, but that's it. With this in place, if anyone calls from a withheld number, your phone doesn't even ring: they'll just get a recorded message along the lines of "This subscriber does not accept calls from withheld numbers. Please try again, without withholding your number."

Actually, the recent clutch DON'T withhold their number - I've tried ringing back to get details of exactly who they are and am given a menu which includes "press 9 to have your number deleted from our records" However, after I'd done that I noticed I got more, so I am inclined to think they have a raft of numbers and if challenged could say with honesty that they HAD removed my number on request (but not admit they've passed it on!)

I have been considering ACR, but Talk Talk rope you in for another year's contract if you change your menu at all (I've had some VERY sneaky sales calls from them) and they are one of the major offenders at cold calling - as I have a contract with them I believe it's outside the TPS rule - so i am considering changing provider.

Interesting. Since biting the bullet and buying ACR, cold calls have all but ceased, and I don't think I've ever had any cold sales calls from Talktalk themselves. In fact, my experience with TT has been a good one, apart from a nightmare week a few years ago when my broadband went down and they were in denial about it being a problem at the exchange. All things considered, I'd recommend them if anyone asked me about phone providers.

Interesting. Since biting the bullet and buying ACR, cold calls have all but ceased, and I don't think I've ever had any cold sales calls from Talktalk themselves. In fact, my experience with TT has been a good one, apart from a nightmare week a few years ago when my broadband went down and they were in denial about it being a problem at the exchange. All things considered, I'd recommend them if anyone asked me about phone providers.

...they are fine until you no longer require their business, then they find it terribly hard to let go....hard work. ;)

There is a very irritable message I keep getting on my mobile something on the lines of...'contact us and we can get you compensation for the recent accident you had'... Disgusting, I am almost in two minds as to whether to change my mobile phone provider....I do not want these sick messages invading my privacy, thank you very much.....get a life. ;)

That would result in it blocking calls from my OH's workplace, our GP practice, the local hospital...

That would result in it blocking calls from my OH's workplace, our GP practice, the local hospital...

This is the only reason I haven't blocked all withheld calls. Can't quite understand why GP, hospitals etc need to withhold their numbers?

This is the only reason I haven't blocked all withheld calls. Can't quite understand why GP, hospitals etc need to withhold their numbers?

Confidentiality, mostly. Anyone with access to the phone can dial 1471 and then quiz their partner about just why the clap clinic was ringing......

Also security in some cases. Although you can't in theory reverse search a number, probation officers, social workers etc can get understandably nervous at some of their er, clients having even an approximate knowledge of their physical whereabouts.

From most office exchange systems, if you dial 72 instead of 9 for an external line, it'll send the main reception desk's number to the caller ID of the person you're ringing.

As far as I'm concerned it's the GP's problem if he wants to call me and withholds his number. If someone is not willing to tell me who they are, then I'm not willing to answer the phone. As far as I'm concerned, it's as simple as that.

Get their company name and then say you're recording the call and see how fast they hang up.

They hang up when you ask for their company name. I'm not sure how you would nail them down to get the details for a TPS complaint.