House Price Crash Forum
W1zard

Stock Investment Ideas For Uk Equities

Anyone sitting on any hidden gems which look about to pop? I tend to invest in US stocks but would like to build a portfolio of UK investments but can never find much with strong balance sheets.

Yeah, buy HMV and YELL.

Alternatively, DYOR. I could tell you what I bought last week, but that was thoroughly speculative and I wouldn't want the blame for what might happen. Or I could say buy solid blue chips, and you're none the wiser.

Yeah, buy HMV and YELL.

Alternatively, DYOR. I could tell you what I bought last week, but that was thoroughly speculative and I wouldn't want the blame for what might happen. Or I could say buy solid blue chips, and you're none the wiser.

I think HMV are a bit of a busted business model and cant see much recovery with their large number of loss making retail units being a drag on cash reserves.

I tend to go for anything with a strong balance sheet and fair earnings for the price. The strength of the balance sheets do not seem that good compared to business's I find in the US markets.

Edited by W1zard

Utilities. Better still, look on the continent and buy, say, German utilities.

BP - the dividend will be coming back, and if you bought during the oil spill you'd be laughing.

Despite myself, I like Vodafone (don't own any, though).

Anything outside the FTSE100 is more or less speculative these days (and much of the FTSE100 is as well).

Take a 2-3 year punt on Progressive Digital Media (PRO on AIM) with a target of 40-50p

Founded, run and largely owned by the man who sold Datamonitor for £500m in a debt-financed deal 2 weeks before Lehman Brothers.

If we are talkıng AIM Oılıes, have a look at XEL ın about 1 - 8 weeks when the dılutıon / debt equıty sıtuatıon has sorted ıtself out.

Confırmed 115 mmbe.

Take a small posıtıon from about £1.50 a share or below (ıf they get that far.)

I'm in.

COI - addicted to speculating.

I'm gettıng the feelıng thıs year wıll be a trader's year ınstead of steady ınvestıng..

Too much uncertaınty, sıgnıfıcant falls could be on the cards...

Yes I agree with you to some extent. But I would never advise that to anyone, really. I bought more xel on the way down from 300 to 200, and it took some guts to sell at 200. It was a mistake, and I took the pain. Most amateur traders will get shafted, that's the honest truth.

Not on my suggestion though, OK?

nope it's been on my watch list since 400.

and it's ISA friendly.

I've taken a hammering in some of my AIM shares especially CAZA (down 50%) which I have a large holding in (3000 quid in the beginning).

I think that maybe the blood on the streets moment has passed for AIM commodity stocks, some of which have bounced hugely today.

I am in Bowleven, Rockhopper, Xcite, Caza, Bahamas petroleum, Gulf Keystone Petroleum, Range Resources.

At best I am 10% down (Xcite) across the board.

You got any hot tips you are willing to share at all? :)

Hi bulltraderpt,

As you may recall, I am reluctant to tip any particular stock, given that I am more likely to be wrong than right, and I am a fundamental investor and trade very badly.

As an example, last week I removed my buy orders for XEL (placed at 112 & 108) as I believed it would go lower still, and am currently having to eat my hat. This, of course, is after selling out at 200 for a major loss (once again poor short term trading). I should have stuck to my fundamental investment strategy, which is my strength, and I would have been evens today. FWIW I believe news has leaked badly and we are close to a big RNS.

In terms of tips, I'd say that the usual advice applies. Fearful when others are greedy, and vice versa. Have a strategy, and stick to it. No, really, stick to it. Within the alternative universe that is the AIM junior oil market, I would say that funding is the most important issue for these companies that typically have no income yet burn up cash like it is confetti, as prospecting and exploration cost much moolah. I would scrutinise the board carefully, both in terms of their career to date and for the incompetence / corruption factor. I don't mind too much a board that give themselves profits from investors' cash, as long as they prove they are worth it. Plenty of junior AIM companies (oil & mining) out there have boards that reward themselves far in excess of what they deserve based on value created for investors.

Typing this out as I watch XEL go into auction yet again (on the way down this time?) having no idea but having put a small short on.... I may get my fingers burnt yet again.

Edit: OWWWWWW! :(:huh::D

Edited by Cash with Nowhere to Go

GKP (Gulf Keystone Petroleum).

They have 7.5 billion barrels of oil in one location (Shaikan)

51% of Shaikan is there's. 30% recovery of their 51% at $2 a barrel works out at over £2.24 billion - that doesn't price in their Algeria assets or the other 3 drill sites which have yet to complete.

Shaikan OIP could be massively upward revised too and if all of the blocks are connected, expect a potential 50billion barrels.

The Behr Behr block is expected to be twice the size of Shaikan

Market cap is ~1billion at the moment. SP is being contained at the moment awaiting for Iraq/Kurdistan to ratify the oil laws.

Edited by OzzMosiz

GKP, a solid trader's share until things become clearer, good assets though.

Mega assets. When the oil law is resolved, the SP should easily triple.

You don't have 37 companies (or so) drilling in Kurdistan on a punt that it will get sorted.

Edited by OzzMosiz