House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Rail Fares To Rise 30% As Retail Sales Soar Amid Growing Prosperity

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/863714-off-peak-rail-fares-may-rise-30-per-cent-under-new-review

Season ticket costs are already due to rise by three per cent above the RPI inflation rate next January.
And additional increases may lead to a ‘30 per cent jump’ in off-peak rail fares, warn union leaders.

Well, petrol is up by about 30% over the last year or so and it hasn't stopped anyone from driving so I am reasonable sure a 30% hike in some rail fares will be met with nothing more than a "oh well, we are all in it together." HIgher prices in the shops seems to have triggered a retail frenzy of sorts too.

Austerity? What austerity?

Well, petrol is up by about 30% over the last year or so and it hasn't stopped anyone from driving so I am reasonable sure a 30% hike in some rail fares will be met with nothing more than a "oh well, we are all in it together." HIgher prices in the shops seems to have triggered a retail frenzy of sorts too.

People are still driving because they still need to get around whatever the price of petrol. Increase already vastly over-priced rail fares and even more will drive, other than on some key routes (e.g. commuter lines into London), which are all they care about.

Why does it cost ever more and more to run the railways, despite supposedly record passenger numbers and increasing bits of modernisation over the years that I assume are supposed to save money (i.e. one or two guys in a regional signalling centre instead of manned signal boxes every few miles)? Yet instead of addressing the recently-ish added inefficiencies it's once again fares up, and if any costs are reduced it'll be from reducing services. Hopeless.

Can a system that has one company owning the track, another owning the trains, and another actually running them ever be anything other than utterly inefficient? That's on top of their own inefficiencies. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd spend £20 on deciding whether it's worth installing something that costs £10.

Why does it cost ever more and more to run the railways, despite supposedly record passenger numbers

Because the investment banks (among them Goldman Sachs) who own the rail fleet need to make more profits so they can increase their bonusses.

because the drivers earn £45k doing a job that is worth £25k.

So why don't you become a driver if it's such a great well paid job?

Drivers' pay is peanuts compared to the bilions the investment banks make on the lease of the fleet.

So why don't you become a driver if it's such a great well paid job?

Drivers' pay is peanuts compared to the bilions the investment banks make on the lease of the fleet.

I would like to be a train driver, but Bob see to it that jobs are only available to his mates and his mates mates. Have you ever seen an advert for a train or tube driver?

I would like to be a train driver, but Bob see to it that jobs are only available to his mates and his mates mates. Have you ever seen an advert for a train or tube driver?

You mean just like the banksters who keep all good jobs for their offspring?

There you go 11K-35K, not exactly a dream salary:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...in_driver.shtml

Edited by wise_eagle

Ahh the market at work. What's the problem? I mean when you privatize everything in your country, corporations are going to run them to maximize their profit. Why should the government be able to dictate what the market will bear...

Just wait until all those privatized utility companies send out their bills this winter. Woo-hoo!

And if this government has their way, the NHS will be following this trend soon.

Yes. That's how I got my train driver job as well as most of my colleagues.

Because the investment banks (among them Goldman Sachs) who own the rail fleet need to make more profits so they can increase their bonusses.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/law/article680283.ece

South West Trains pays more than £150,000 a year to rent 12 carriages built in 1938 and used on the Island Line on the Isle of Wight.

4258767303_cee4e74dd6.jpg

I got my job through an advert in a local paper, I work with people with all sorts of former professions.

Most train companies have web sites where you can check for positions provided you can pass the aptitude tests. This is main rail not underground I should add.

EDIT:Posted on iphone, corrected at home.

Edited by Driver

At least when you pay your exhorbitant rail fare you will get a warm glow inside because we are having the Olympics here

Rail unions have secured a “groundbreaking” pay deal for workers, which includes an Olympics-linked bonus and a no-sacking clause during London 2012.

The deal, agreed by RMT and other unions, means Network Rail (NR) workers will receive a 5.2 per cent pay rise this year, backdated to January, plus a further rise of RPI inflation plus 0.5 per cent from next January.

With RPI currently standing at 5.3 per cent, the RMT said the deal was worth more than 10 per cent over two years.

On top of this staff working on Olympics related projects will get a £500 bonus and will be covered by a no-dismissal clause throughout London 2012 after an agreement on the disputes procedure was reached between NR and the unions.

This dispute agreement also means that any outstanding or new dispute is automatically referred to Acas and no industrial action can take place while this is ongoing.

Staff travel subsidies have been improved and include an Olympic premium payment of £3.50 an hour for employees whose duties are affected beyond normal requirements during the Games.

About 10,000 staff out of 35,000 are covered by the deal including signallers, engineers, customer service staff and other NR employees.

But it is unclear whether such a deal could be extended to Tube drivers, who are currently threatening strike action over TfL’s treatment of two drivers.

Bob Crow, RMT general secretary, said: "The [NR] package recognises the important role that transport workers will be expected to play during the Games and rewards them financially while protecting their union rights at the same time."

http://www.peoplemanagement.co.uk/pm/articles/2011/05/groundbreaking-pay-deal-for-rail-workers.htm

Ahh the market at work. What's the problem? I mean when you privatize everything in your country, corporations are going to run them to maximize their profit. Why should the government be able to dictate what the market will bear...

Just wait until all those privatized utility companies send out their bills this winter. Woo-hoo!

And if this government has their way, the NHS will be following this trend soon.

But it's badly government-designed privatisation, where those running the thing can't decide how it's split up, and in any case because it's regarded as useful to keep some services going that won't pay their way it's still tax subsidised - combining that with privatisation is always a recipe for disaster, pulling in as it does the bad sides of both without much of the good -subsidies up, service quality mostly down, and a few doing very well out of it all thank you very much. Although stations usually don't feel quite as tatty as they used to.

re pay I agree that it's rather on the high side, but how much of the cost of railways goes towards people doing the useful things (i.e. driving the trains, operating the signalling, and fixing the track)? Even if they were not as overpaid I'd be surprised if it would make much difference.

At least when you pay your exhorbitant rail fare you will get a warm glow inside because we are having the Olympics here

Good for them, they have set a good example, it's up to us to ask similar pay rises that at least keep up with inflation.

Remember the BoE fears nothing more than people demanding pay rises!

Good for them, they have set a good example, it's up to us to ask similar pay rises that at least keep up with inflation.

Remember the BoE fears nothing more than people demanding pay rises!

I assume you travel by car then?

Having the Olympics means rail travellers will be paying more FOREVER. They have got an above RPI rise when most other people haven't, not to scupper the Olympics?

When London was announced and the crowd started cheering what was the breakdown? Did 45.3% of them work for the railway, 24.7% were tube drivers, another 28% spread across industries in a position to barter then the 2% who actually give a toss about the Olympics?

Edited by Redhat Sly

I assume you travel by car then?

Drivers' pay rises have got nothing to do with the fare rises, that's typical bankster/government propaganda to get common people to envy each other, divide et impera.

Look at the salaries of the train company upper management, board of directors, etc. Also look at the billions the banks make by leasing the rolling stock to the train companies. That's where the fare rises go.

With British Rail there was one set of upper management and the rolling stock belonged to BR, i.e. the public, now fares have to pay for the upper management and board of directors of a dozen rail companies and pay the lease to the banks on the rolling stock and keep the shareholders happy with dividends.

No wonder rail fares are so expensive...

---

Edited by wise_eagle

Drivers' pay rises have got nothing to do with the fare rises, that's typical bankster/government propaganda to get common people to envy each other, divide et impera.

Look at the salaries of the train company upper management, board of directors, etc. Also look at the billions the banks make by leasing the rolling stock to the train companies. That's where the fare rises go.

+1 The big problems with the railways aren't to do with what really needs doing to operate and maintain them, even if they are often old-fashioned and inefficient. That said, I dread to think what the staff to passenger ratio was when I took the sleeper up to Fort William. Very nice journey though.

With British Rail there was one set of upper management and the rolling stock belonged to BR, i.e. the public, now fares have to pay for the upper management and board of directors of a dozen rail companies and pay the lease to the banks on the rolling stock and keep the shareholders happy with dividends.

No wonder rail fares are so expensive...

I don't doubt upper management are quids in but raising the cost of labour must have an effect on prices. If it doesn't why stop at a 10% rise? Why not 20%, 30%, 40% what's the downside then?

Rail analyst Christian Wolmar says the high cost of Britain's railways is down to fragmentation.

He said British Rail cost taxpayers "around a billion pounds a year in today's money, now the railway with many more people on it, so it should be more efficient, is costing five billion".

"It should not have taken a huge brain to work out that actually it was something to do with the process that changed the railway from one unified management into 20 train operating companies, an infrastructure company and so on," he added.

Similar outcome will the other privatised industries.

Indeed it doesn't take a huge brain to work out why.

I don't doubt upper management are quids in but raising the cost of labour must have an effect on prices.

Or it has an effect on the shareholders dividends. Why do you consider those sacred?

Also why are you ignoring the MAJOR impact the investment banks (leasing the real stock to the rail companies) have on the cost of your rail fare?

Edited by wise_eagle

Similar outcome will the other privatised industries.

Indeed it doesn't take a huge brain to work out why.

And my worry is that the introduced inefficiencies won't be what's eventually cut, but services.

It would be interesting to speculate on what would've happened if it had been privatised into something more like the pre-nationalised railways. My guess would be better, cheaper core services and almost Beeching-style cuts to the peripheral ones.

Or it has an effect on the shareholders dividends. Why do you consider those sacred?

Also why are you ignoring the MAJOR impact the investment banks (leasing the real stock to the rail companies) have on the cost of your rail fare?

It's because I am a VI.

I don't have a job so don't want to see any wage inflation because I cannot have any. I am selfish but honest.

If they shovel money into people's pay packets they can pay more for everything so it devalues cash and the wages of people who don't get rises above RPI

It's because I am a VI.

I don't have a job so don't want to see any wage inflation because I cannot have any. I am selfish but honest.

If you aren't working then why do you care about train fares?

Don' the employers pay you back the train fare anymore when you travel to interviews?

If I were you I would take this as an opportunity to look for work abroad, there are currently better places to live and work than in the UK.

The UK might become a good place to live again in some years but currently it's not worth the struggle.