Surfing

Tuberider

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Yep but not so much of late. UK? Was usually north devon with nice gentle beach breaks and laid back attitudes (saunton, woolacombe).

Otherwise sri lanka (cheap, strap board on a rickshaw and just follow the coast. Ok but all reefs/rocks), bali (good mix of beaches, reefs and serious out of my league breaks. busy), australia (has everything really, but everyone is very good so quite intimidating at busier breaks). Haven't been but Morocco comes recommended to me (friend went on this http://www.bigfriday.com/friday/info/surfaris_mor.php). Thing to do is probably note the locations and diy. This is a good forum for q&a: http://www.surfing-waves.com/forum/

Sri lanka sounds like fun, i'm gonna have to check it

Oman is good. Off the beaten track, and a real adventure, but can be fickle

I'm planning to explore the phillipines soon, anyone been ?

HOLA447

Sri lanka sounds like fun, i'm gonna have to check it

Oman is good. Off the beaten track, and a real adventure, but can be fickle

I'm planning to explore the phillipines soon, anyone been ?

Phillipines is good for diving. Don't know about the surf.

Indonesia / Sumatra would be a good bet I think.

HOLA448

Morocco is good - the waves are powerful enough to life you up unlike here in the UK. Good cheap surfing holiday. Alot of the surfing holidays do a week surfing and a week in the capital - you basically need only a day in the capital and the rest of the time at the beach.

A friend recently came back from doing California, NZ and Oz. He said that the Californians were very territorial / aggressive about newcomers on their patch. He got a bit of friction from a few of them and he is a good surfer.

I have always been put off California as it is known as the great white shark cafe.

Hesaid Oz was very good but you had to know when to go in and when not to - i.e. only go in the bays that the locals were in and in when they were in. Again, puts me off.

HOLA449

Morocco is good - the waves are powerful enough to life you up unlike here in the UK. Good cheap surfing holiday. Alot of the surfing holidays do a week surfing and a week in the capital - you basically need only a day in the capital and the rest of the time at the beach.

A friend recently came back from doing California, NZ and Oz. He said that the Californians were very territorial / aggressive about newcomers on their patch. He got a bit of friction from a few of them and he is a good surfer.

I have always been put off California as it is known as the great white shark cafe.

Hesaid Oz was very good but you had to know when to go in and when not to - i.e. only go in the bays that the locals were in and in when they were in. Again, puts me off.

Tell me about Morocco.

Where can I go were I'd be happy (surf) and the missus would be happy (crappy spa things, nice local food and maybe some kulcha) ?

Normally surf places are just that - surf places and not much else.

HOLA4410

Tell me about Morocco.

Where can I go were I'd be happy (surf) and the missus would be happy (crappy spa things, nice local food and maybe some kulcha) ?

Normally surf places are just that - surf places and not much else.

I have not used them but friends tell me that they had great hols with them - http://www.purebluewater.com/moroc/

HOLA4411

morocco looks good, yeah. I need to put it on the list.

Indo/sumatra too crowded, and i doubt I have the ability or the nerve to go over on some of those big reef breaks, especially if they are swarming with pros

I surfed california a few years ago on a surf safari around the usa. I found it overrated to be honest, except for a few breaks around monterrey bay. and yeah, the locals are aggressive - the vibe is bad, very bad indeed, and it took a lot of the enjoyment out of it.

funnily enough I actually found florida much more enjoyable (atlantic coast of course). long stretches of golden beaches and empty breaks with friendly locals and warm water which is a huuuuuge plus for me as i really hate thick wetsuits and hoodies. the waves were OK, not epic or anything but good fun.

good advice on the longboard. i got a 9'4 epoxy which i learned on, and I usually ride a fatboy flyer fishy type thing now which i like a lot. perfect for where i am as the waves do not get great that often.

on the wax... mrs palmers when i do use it !

HOLA4412

I've always found the locals wherever you go aren't particularly welcoming when it comes to surfing particularly if you aren't very good (like me) I guess it comes down to the close proximity/taking turns/etiquette etc. Much prefer snowboarding for these reasons, plus the ride is much longer and requires zero effort to start riding.

*pines for the winter*

HOLA4413

I take it those who think the waves are not brilliant in this country are excluding the likes of Thurso etc.. ?

Are they not supposed to be proper world class waves ? If a bit chilly. :D

Don't know but this looks pretty reasonable to me. :o

ced77878-009e-4156-8751-e825bf2939a0.jpg

Scotland_08_Micah_Thurso.jpg

HOLA4414

england's got some world class waves, yup. thurso, the cribber, quite a few world class breaks

but cold, very cold....serious shrinkage, and who can paddle in a 5mm wetsuit, hood, gloves and booties. not a fan of cold water. been there, done that. shivering in a frozen sea while rain falls out of a slate grey sky is not my idea of fun.

surfing for me is the whole experience. tearing down the line in warm water, fishies jumping over the coral as sunlight bounces off the face

sitting in the lineup with your friends chatting endless b0llocks while waiting for your set

hooting for each other when you get a good one

breakfast after, a good fryup, at a beachside cafe

the day always seems a whole lot better after a go-out. only problem is you burn the day's best energy in the water, and have no inclination to day anything other than relax for the rest of the day

HOLA4415

I've always found the locals wherever you go aren't particularly welcoming when it comes to surfing particularly if you aren't very good (like me) I guess it comes down to the close proximity/taking turns/etiquette etc. Much prefer snowboarding for these reasons, plus the ride is much longer and requires zero effort to start riding.

*pines for the winter*

I prefer to surf a lesser break alone or with a few friends then sit in a crowded lineup at the best breaks, waiting for turns. When its crowded you only get a few waves anyway, and the pressure is on. prefer to find a quieter break, maybe not as good but with no people, somewhere i can relax and get a few turns in with no hassles

getting old, eh...

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

england's got some world class waves, yup. thurso, the cribber, quite a few world class breaks

but cold, very cold....serious shrinkage, and who can paddle in a 5mm wetsuit, hood, gloves and booties. not a fan of cold water. been there, done that. shivering in a frozen sea while rain falls out of a slate grey sky is not my idea of fun.

surfing for me is the whole experience. tearing down the line in warm water, fishies jumping over the coral as sunlight bounces off the face

sitting in the lineup with your friends chatting endless b0llocks while waiting for your set

the day always seems a whole lot better after a go-out. only problem is you burn the day's best energy in the water, and have no inclination to day anything other than relax

Or you could just sit on the beach and watch all the girlies in rubber or bikinis :rolleyes:

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

the day always seems a whole lot better after a go-out. only problem is you burn the day's best energy in the water, and have no inclination to day anything other than relax for the rest of the day

+1

The UK surfers in gimp suits have my respect but not my envy.

It's a lot nicer when the water temp >18C, ideal is about 21C for me.

As for that pic, if it's Thurso, that's above my level.

HOLA4420

Ah I see now. Good waves are only good waves if they are also nice and warm. Pussies. :P

heh heh you stirrer you

good waves are good waves, wherever they are

i'd just rather surf good warm waves than good freezing ones

HOLA4421

heh heh you stirrer you

good waves are good waves, wherever they are

i'd just rather surf good warm waves than good freezing ones

That does appear to make sense. :D

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

There's spots all over the UK - on the NE coast around Newcastle, SW Wales, N/NE Scotland, few spots in Dorset, N Devon and most of Cornwall. Then there's Ireland (not strictly UK) - see photo below:

164.jpeg

http://www.yosurfer.com/photos/photo/164

Problem these days is everywhere is busy - I only surf weekday mornings now.

As for spots abroad. I've heard plenty of good things about Sri Lanka - good but not too full on. The Canary Islands are fine if you don't mind ultra aggressive locals and powerful waves breaking over sharp lava.

Southern Portugal is a good bet, especially near Sagres as there are beaches pointing every which way, but its getting busier down there. I spent a few years surfing around Lisbon and Ericiera, good waves, but often big, powerful and scary!

Not sure where I'd go myself, somewhere quiet and warm, but with no sharks. If it wasn't for the sharks S.Africa would be a good bet.

Anyway, here's some photos of down my way: http://www.cornwalls.co.uk/photos/cat1.htm

Archived