House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
HappierDreams

Financial Adviser Who Str

So, yesterday I posted about the financial adviser who came to speak at my office and announced that he 'wouldn't touch property with a barge pole'. That was actually based on hearsay - today, I went along to hear him speak myself, and it was better than I could have ever hoped.

I'm a little nervous about posting this though, because judging by some his remarks I wouldn't be surprised if he's a lurker or even a poster on here. If he is, and he's reading this - well, hope you don't mind me taking the liberty of sharing some of your remarks.

For a start, it turns out he sold-to-rent last year - this caused quite a stir when he announced it,

Then he spent half an hour or so trotting through a series of the graphs that are all to familiar to HPC-readers - the graphs that show HP to earnings ratios and FTB numbers falling of a cliff etc etc.

But the highlight was his personal anecdotes (and this is where I need to tread carefully)... essentially he serves as a consumer representative on a number of panels that advise or oversee parts o the financial sector (I'll be no more specific than that), and informed us candidly of the utter hypocrisy and mendacity of senior people in the industry. He had a particular example of a chief executive of a major national mortgage lender, who regularly pronounces on the robustness of the housing market in the press, but who recently advised his 19 year old daughter that she would be 'mad' to buy property in London or the South East at the moment. :D:D

It really was a joy.

[...] the utter hypocrisy and mendacity of senior people in the industry. He had a particular example of a chief executive of a major national mortgage lender, who regularly pronounces on the robustness of the housing market in the press, but who recently advised his 19 year old daughter that she would be 'mad' to buy property in London or the South East at the moment.

Classic.

But I'm skeptical: how would the financial advisor have known this? The chief executive is hardly likely to go round recounting chats he has had with his teenage daughter. Urban myths start like this.

Mind you, there was that head of Barclaycard who made a similarly negative comment about credit card lending.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/busines...id69176?source=

frugalista

Classic.

But I'm skeptical: how would the financial advisor have known this? The chief executive is hardly likely to go round recounting chats he has had with his teenage daughter. Urban myths start like this.

Mind you, there was that head of Barclaycard who made a similarly negative comment about credit card lending.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/busines...id69176?source=

frugalista

I can tell you I know enough about him to believe him and can independently verify he has access to the people he claims to.

Unfortunately I can't tell you enough to verify for yourself without giving away his identity - which I don't want to do.

So, you've only got my word for it. And that being the case, I can hardly blame you for being sceptical. B)

Those people are just evil.

Kill them, kill them all.

Metaphorically speaking, of course.

Broadsword to Dannyboy....Broadsword to Dannyboy....come in Dannyboy!

Broadsword to Dannyboy....Broadsword to Dannyboy....come in Dannyboy!

These men are involved in a conspiracy against the Fuhrer himself...

I believe you happier.

The jokers who are in the top jobs in the various banks will know exactly what happened in the last recession, will know the warning signs, and will know what is happening right now.

When they stop lending of course is when they have decided that they conned enough people, and that they will lose more money than receive back from enslaved borrowers.

Still, they're no worse that Brown et al.