House Price Crash Forum
Pent Up

Over 250,000 Civil Servants To Vote On Strike

More than 250,000 civil servants will vote on staging a national strike in protest at Government cuts to jobs, services and pensions.

Delegates at the annual conference of the Public and Commercial Services union agreed to the national ballot today.

Voting will start next week and the result will be known by mid-June.

The date of the ballot is timed to coordinate with industrial action by other workers, including teachers, who are set to walk out on June 30.

The union's general secretary Mark Serwotka, told the Brighton conference that 750,000 workers could be involved in strikes next month, a figure that could rise to millions later in the year.

He said: "National action with other unions is key to our strategy, which is designed to escalate and put pressure on the Government before it is too late."

Mr Serwotka urged members to "fight like never before" to reverse the "brutal" cuts which he claimed would see 110,000 civil servants' jobs cut, offices closed, pay frozen and pensions reduced.

He said: "The Government is attacking everything we have fought for for generations.

"Things we have taken for granted, and which our parents fought for, are now in danger of disappearing. Kids will be worse off than their parents because of this Government."

The Association of Teachers and Lecturers, the National Union of Teachers and the National Association of Head Teachers have already agreed to ballot members over national strike action.

Because of this government? Hmmm..

Face_Palm.jpg

Do I need to go to a consultation before I march?

Do they supply free clipboards and pens or shall I bring my own?

The cuts aren't brutal and they are only due to excess borrowing by this generation. The union seems pretty clueless to me! :blink:

There are no cuts. Just a slowdown in the rate at which spending increases.

Just wait for the 'it was all so much better under Labour' and complaints about always going on and on about the deficit, as Jackboot Smith said; ' ... deficit ... that old chestnut'. Still al least the strike will save money on wages for a day.

Typical leftists I'm afraid; always know what they want to spend money on but no idea how they're going to pay for it.

They must actually believe that money really does grow on trees.

My wife has just returned with the local town hall with the two 4 page forms (one for each car) we need for residents parking permits for the next 3 months. She couldnt get permits there and then because, well, the forms can only be picked up by hand and posted back with a cheque (separate check for 6.20 for each form, please IIRC) to someone else in the council offices (presumably the Residents Parking Permit Facilitation Manager) rather than filled out there and then and handed straight back in in exchange for said permits. I think the term makework covers this nicely. Can you imagine any private company behaving like this, any private company with competitors, wanting to stay in business, that is?

Just one tiny vignette which may or may not be relevant to this whole discussion.

Edited by General Melchett

Typical leftists I'm afraid; always know what they want to spend money on but no idea how they're going to pay for it.

They must actually believe that money really does grow on trees.

You can cut as much as you like as long as it doesn't affect me in any way whatsoever,

if you do there will be hell to pay and I'll march with my fellow brothers

total Horses**t!

Will there be marching diversity co-ordinators?

And they'll need a website to get creative ideas about how to strike. The whole business is very expensive and just highlights how much we need to give them more funding.

And they'll need a website to get creative ideas about how to strike. The whole business is very expensive and just highlights how much we need to give them more funding.

I realise we shouldn't joke about this. it's will only give them ideas...

Things we have taken for granted, and which our parents fought for

we fought them on the beaches....... for diversity co-ordinators

:lol:

Voting will start next week and the result will be known by mid-June.

hmm, three weeks to count all the votes. sounds like that CAN get their fingers out for themselves....try applying for housing benefit, emergency support and see if a three week turnaround is possible?

I'm all for this strike. They should all refuse to return to work until all their demands are met.

I like how the teachers might be going on strike at the end of June - nicely timed to have absolutely no real impact on anyone.

I like how the teachers might be going on strike at the end of June - nicely timed to have absolutely no real impact on anyone.

Typical of the ignorance on this site! If the teachers don't work through the summer holidays then there will be no lessons prepared when the students get back in September.

Do you think they have textbooks and curriculums or something?

There are no cuts. Just a slowdown in the rate at which spending increases.

Well yes, but it's still a budget cut, even if much of it was only funded by borrowing. Semantics, I suppose!

I'm all for this strike. They should all refuse to return to work until all their demands are met.

Would anyone notice? ;)

(I'm joking, before anyone gets in a flap!)

Edited by Traktion

You can cut as much as you like as long as it doesn't affect me in any way whatsoever,

if you do there will be hell to pay and I'll march with my fellow brothers

total Horses**t!

Like I said, no idea how they're going to pay for it.

Well yes, but it's still a budget cut, even if much of it was only funded by borrowing. Semantics, I suppose!

Spending is still projected to increase every year. There are no cuts just a slower rate of growth in spending.

ukgs_chart_bar1.png

Typical of the ignorance on this site! If the teachers don't work through the summer holidays then there will be no lessons prepared when the students get back in September.

Do you think they have textbooks and curriculums or something?

Seriously, no lessons? Zero lessons? Couldn't possibly use the stuff they prepared last year could they?! It must be so-o-o out of date. :rolleyes:

Seriously, no lessons? Zero lessons? Couldn't possibly use the stuff they prepared last year could they?! It must be so-o-o out of date. :rolleyes:

think he was being sarcastit

seriously though don't care how much holiday time they get it's not a job i'd want to do, i hear far too many horror stories about the kids who know their human rights (sic) and the parents of the children who can do no wrong. Society ******ing up big time from there in

Absolutely. Did you know that teachers used to tell children that 2 + 2 = 4. It would be tantamount to child abuse to continue to perpetuate such out-dated thinking. The children might grow up thinking that cuts are necessary when there is no more money and other such evil Tory dogma.