House Price Crash Forum
thecrashingisles

Mothercare To Close 25% Of Uk Shops

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13436017

Mothercare has said it will close more than a quarter of its UK stores over the next two years as part of its plans to reduce its High Street presence.

The company also reported a slump in full-year profits as UK sales fell due to bad weather in the run-up to Christmas and increased competition.

This meant the group had to cut margins to shift unsold stock.

Pre-tax profits for the year to 26 March were £8.8m, down from £32.5m a year ago.

By March 2013, the company said it planned to have reduced its total store numbers to about 266 from 373.

It said it was "in the fortunate position" of having 120 leases expiring in the next two years.

The company said it should benefit to the tune of £4m to £5m a year after tax from the store closures.

The closures form part the group's ongoing strategy of reducing its High Street store portfolio and focusing more on out-of-town stores, and on its online and wholesale businesses.

A good start for Mary Portas's Highstreet rejuvination inquiry launched yesterday.

Yeah, not too sure that is such a good idea.

People aren't spending because they have no money, not because the shop layout is wrong.

Out of date, obsolete, dodo, prehistoric.

Have they not heard of metrosexual men, stay at home dads, and homosexual couples with children.

Mothercare is rubbish. Parents spend ENORMOUS amounts of money - even in a recession they still need maternity clothes, disposable nappies, potties, school uniforms, and people seem to still be buying those massive buggies that cost £500.... It's not the downturn, it's because shopping there is such a miserable experience (poor stock control, unhelpful staff, queues at the till even when the shop is nearly empty, bad returns policy when said £500 buggy turns out to be faulty) that people spend their money elsewhere if they possibly can.

the reason they're doing well abroad is because they're introducing the culture of massive consuming as part of parenthood to countries where previously people managed to have kids without buying so much stuff for them.

I love the way these big chains are being spanked throughout the recession. Perhaps when the dust has settled, we'll get more independents coming through (providing rents/rates are reduced to pre credit boom levels).

it's a shame the same fate won't befall tescos/sainsburys etc

This is a true example of my mothercare experience.

Went to look for a baby feeding chair for the Mrs. Saw one at £150 which I liked. Went back 2 weeks later and it had been repriced to £165 - wasn't happy so I thought I'd leave it. One month later the same chair had gone up to £225!

I then went online and bought exactly the same chair from Tescos at £135

Parents spend ENORMOUS amounts of money - even in a recession

Yes, but fewer people will have babies if they think their job is at risk.

lets hope they dont throw the baby out with the bath water.

Edited by Bloo Loo

Sorry Scott, as a recent father, I do not agree with that. If couples want children then they will have them because of the strong desire that humans have to reproduce regardless of circumstance.

Baby clothes especially from places like mothercare are a total rip off. However the reality is that most parents reuse use their other children's clothes and get given old clothes from friends whose babies have grown out of them etc. If you are struggling financially you go onto ebay or online for deals.

people do limit their family size when times are hard, it's true (I wonder what the house price crash will mean for the birthrate?) but babies are never going to go out of fashion completely, there would be enough to keep a chain of shops going easily if people actually wanted to shop there.

At the risk of this turning into a mumsnet thread, anyone tried buying clothes for boys there recently? I've noticed the 'little princesses' section has been gradually encroaching the boys bit over the past few yrs and would say the ratio is around 80-20 now. And when you ask one of the flumps working there about it they say they can 'order it in'. Well gee thanks, I'll do it myself but from a less sexist online shop. And I guess I'm not alone.

In addition to all the good reasons given above online definitely eluded them. There's a couple of privately funded start up independent retailers that outshone them online in the last decade.

Edited by cica

At the risk of this turning into a mumsnet thread, anyone tried buying clothes for boys there recently? I've noticed the 'little princesses' section has been gradually encroaching the boys bit over the past few yrs and would say the ratio is around 80-20 now. And when you ask one of the flumps working there about it they say they can 'order it in'. Well gee thanks, I'll do it myself but from a less sexist online shop. And I guess I'm not alone.

Now there's a thought, maybe this much-seen 'we only sell offensively stereotypical 'little princess'/'badly behaved war-loving monster' clothes because that's what the public wants to buy' is actually out-of-date and the companies that go to the wall will be the sexist ones! Bring on the revolution!

I'm not surprised. I was in a Mothercare last week and the service was so appalling (5 minutes entering the wrong dates and all my personal details before they could search for a spare part in the "system") I vowed to emigrate! (Not likely, thanks to offspring and grandparents etc, but it made me feel better.)

In total, three people, including the store manager, managed to be completely useless. The weird thing was that each time I was told that person X was really great and would sort me out.

They don't, have a look at the 2 massive famines in China, around the 1950s and 1960s. Or the famine every other year for the pasy 2600 years. The population trend STILL went up. Even though there was mass cannibalism going on, anedotal stories which have more than a few grains of truth in them were towns where they murdered the town idiot and his family and ate them....

There are many stories across China like that, even less pleasant ones about swapping children with other families and butchering your neigbors child to survive.

I'm not surprised. I was in a Mothercare last week and the service was so appalling (5 minutes entering the wrong dates and all my personal details before they could search for a spare part in the "system") I vowed to emigrate! (Not likely, thanks to offspring and grandparents etc, but it made me feel better.)

In total, three people, including the store manager, managed to be completely useless. The weird thing was that each time I was told that person X was really great and would sort me out.

It is as Injin says, low pay = low motivation. Added to the fact that even though these people are low paid they are gouged again on council tax and other costs of living, to the point where they are a notch above slavery.

Also peanuts and monkeys come to mind since companies pay very little and expect the world, the low pay folks in the UK are EVEN worse off than the low pay folks in China tbh as the factory workers in China can at least earn enough to invest later on.

Now there's a thought, maybe this much-seen 'we only sell offensively stereotypical 'little princess'/'badly behaved war-loving monster' clothes because that's what the public wants to buy' is actually out-of-date and the companies that go to the wall will be the sexist ones! Bring on the revolution!

Yep, the clothes are terrible. Full of "Hey! i'm cute" / "50% mummy 50% daddy!" chavwear.

The people who like dressing their kids in 'highly amusing' slogans/cartoon characters are having their benefits cut and will now be buying large bundles of 2nd hand clothes from ebay for £2.50.

Hence mothercares problems.

I used them once when our little one turned up two weeks early and I needed an emergency moses basket (no time to order one online) but didn't get ripped off too badly as those things are too bulky to order online really, given that you can't fold them up.

and then again when we were given a gift voucher to spend,

took us ages to find something to spend it on (the boys clothes filled only two rails in a shop the size of an aircraft hanger)

and was mostly covered in chav slogans or was 400% over priced.

Then looked at the toys, again everything there way cheaper online so ended up getting a couple of things from the mega clearance bucket, just to get some value out of the vouchers.

Mind you I still have a 3 year old HMV card with £10 on it which I can't seem to spend either, I get the staff to check it every so often to reset the 2 year time limit, but every single thing I pick up in there is £10 cheaper online so the voucher is worthless.

These big chain stores just can't complete with the net.