House Price Crash Forum

I Am Getting A Bit Fed Up

The Masked Tulip

HOLA441

Simply relax, there is more to life than houses, even though a lot of us hang about on here. Just enjoy your life for a while, let go be happy. Let the chips fall where they may.

As I've said many times before, life is short enjoy it while you are here.

HOLA442

In the posh bits of south Edinburgh, by far the most common kind of property is the large, two-bedroom tenement flat, about 90 m² in size. At the height of the bubble, these were selling for 300–340K. They fell down to 250K in the ‘temporary bottom’ at the end of 2009. They then rose again, largely due to a strangled supply. Now there are more and more of them coming to the market, but the asking prices are nearly always ‘comfortably’ above 250K, anything between about 250K and 285K. Not a great deal seems to be selling, and supply is slowly increasing. However, the asking prices do not seem to be to be actually increasing – just remaining very static.

I am also finding it frustrating, but it seems like the situation isn’t as bad as in Swansea, at least – and this is in ‘prices never go down’ Edinburgh.

HOLA443
HOLA444

don't shoot yourself, but if you do, would you like us to have the eventual fall in real terms house prices engraved on your tombstone?

I can see it now..

Here lies The Masked Tulip

Taken from us too soon aged 40

Or 52 according to Rightmove

HOLA445
HOLA446

I'll go halves on the blow your brains out equipment, I can't afford to move and the ****ing landlord next door has put some right Jeremy Kyle candidates in.

B;oody murder, with two mental staffies to boot. Sitll, they never stay long, few months then they seem to move in the middle of the night for some reason!

HOLA447
Guest The Relaxation Suite

...which I won't find because I don't own one...

OK, cheer me up HPCers. I am getting fed up of looking at houses coming on the market for more and more ludicrous asking prices. The stuff is in a rising spiral. Feck knows how fast they would be rising IF the economy was booming.

Stuff that would have come on last year for 250K is now coming on for over 300K - even 300K is not enough, 320 and 350 being the norm.

I get the impression that EA in my areas are using the 250K no stamp duty threshold if you are a FTB as a sign to value starter homes at 250K and everything else well above. Anyone else seeing or suspecting this in their area?

Unaffordable house prices are responsible for nearly every single social problem we have. They are a virus destroying the fabric of life in Britain, and they are destoriyng the fabric of life in Australia as well. If you see a nice 1920s villa in Australia take a photo of it immediately because the next time you drive down that street it will have been shredded and turned into four duplexes.

Government has failed us. Only Government can stop this and it fails us.

HOLA448
Guest The Relaxation Suite

I'll go halves on the blow your brains out equipment, I can't afford to move and the ****ing landlord next door has put some right Jeremy Kyle candidates in.

B;oody murder, with two mental staffies to boot. Sitll, they never stay long, few months then they seem to move in the middle of the night for some reason!

A good friend of mine (I've mentioned him before) had his life destroyed by scum like you describe. I mean destroyed. He and his wife bought a mid-terrace in a reasonable street, but soon found out that the neighbours were "housing association" aka scum. They made constant noise with stereos through the wall and arguments, rowing in the street, police coming round. My friend was trying to write a PhD at the time and got really worn down. Eventually they made the mistake of asking them if they could keep it down in the evenings at least, and thereby started a five year-long malicious hate campaign with cigarettes flicked on the property every day, dog shits left on the doorstep, increased noise at night, motorbikes driven over their front garden and revved up outside their front window late at night, their scrotes even abused his wife when she walked to the shops, etc. They knew they couldn't complain to the authorities of course because they would have to disclose any formal complaints if they ever tried to sell the house and who's going to buy a place with that on record? My friend almost had a breakdown but luckily the scum moved to another housing association property. He got got so low he vowed to leave the country and as soon as his PhD (physics) was finished he emigrated.

So, I'm just saying, don't ket it get out of control. What my friend should have done was get some private thugs to kick the shit out of them one night but - well - he is an educated man and just doesn't mix in those circles. I mean who does?

Edited by Tecumseh

HOLA449

OK, cheer me up HPCers.

The system is broken and you need to do your part to push it over the edge (rather than your good self).

How about buying a couple of acres of farmland, buying some Llamas and then putting up a eco wooden chalet to live in whilst you look after your livestock.

By the time the authorities work out how to evict you, use the money saved on rent to buy another couple of acres, pack up and move the building, rinse and repeat. Do it enough and they will decide not to waste any more taxpayers money chasing a moving target.

(This obviously doesn't work too well if you have a family in tow and I guess sheep would make more sense than Llamas in Wales)

One guy that has worked on my house did something like this. He bought a field, put some sheep and then built a house on the field. After losing the case against planning, he got a concession to live in a caravan on site and the house would have to remain unoccupied (but not knocked down). So he just lives in the house anyway. F**k the planning rules.

HOLA4410

OK, cheer me up HPCers. I am getting fed up of looking at houses coming on the market for more and more ludicrous asking prices. The stuff is in a rising spiral. Feck knows how fast they would be rising IF the economy was booming.

Stuff that would have come on last year for 250K is now coming on for over 300K - even 300K is not enough, 320 and 350 being the norm.

I get the impression that EA in my areas are using the 250K no stamp duty threshold if you are a FTB as a sign to value starter homes at 250K and everything else well above. Anyone else seeing or suspecting this in their area?

then again, I was in Swansea recently, a thick sea fog all around, and TMT said it was sunny all day.

HOLA4411

Leave HPC for a week, don't watch the news, don't look at house prices, just get on with your life. You'll feel better for it even though it's just ignoring all the rubbish in the world rather than facing it. We all need an escape from reality every now and then. Just wait until the weather improves though.

This is great advice.

Unplug yourself from all types of media for a week, It just causes frustration/depression because there's absolutely nothing you can do about it anyway and it's 99% bad news riddled with injustices. The world will never be run the way you want it to be run so focus on your more immediate surroundings. Your own little world - friends/family/pastimes. The things you can change/improve will give you satisfaction.

HOLA4412

I am starting to see panic setting in here (HP22), and the chase to the bottom has begun,

It has started with the drying up of finance, with sellers (!), and potential buyers, working off "old" multiples. The result is houses "selling" many times, whilst muppets continue to window shop, before putting in an offer only to realise that smell is them having soiled the sheets. The only houses selling are those that recognise surveys and finance are hurdles to overcome.

HOLA4413

These are the choices:

a) Refuse to buy the home that you want at the price they are asking for it...feel bad

B) Lower your expectations and buy something you can afford but not as good....feel bad, even worse when not so long after next-door sells for less, unless you are able accept that scenario.

c) Get on with enjoying your life,improve on what you have, forget about buying for now...feel loads better.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I am starting to see panic setting in here (HP22), and the chase to the bottom has begun,

It has started with the drying up of finance, with sellers (!), and potential buyers, working off "old" multiples. The result is houses "selling" many times, whilst muppets continue to window shop, before putting in an offer only to realise that smell is them having soiled the sheets. The only houses selling are those that recognise surveys and finance are hurdles to overcome.

Interesting. How do you know this?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

This is great advice.

Unplug yourself from all types of media for a week, It just causes frustration/depression because there's absolutely nothing you can do about it anyway and it's 99% bad news riddled with injustices. The world will never be run the way you want it to be run so focus on your more immediate surroundings. Your own little world - friends/family/pastimes. The things you can change/improve will give you satisfaction.

I think there's a word for this, is it holiday?

We all need one

HOLA4419

A good friend of mine (I've mentioned him before) had his life destroyed by scum like you describe. I mean destroyed. He and his wife bought a mid-terrace in a reasonable street, but soon found out that the neighbours were "housing association" aka scum. They made constant noise with stereos through the wall and arguments, rowing in the street, police coming round. My friend was trying to write a PhD at the time and got really worn down. Eventually they made the mistake of asking them if they could keep it down in the evenings at least, and thereby started a five year-long malicious hate campaign with cigarettes flicked on the property every day, dog shits left on the doorstep, increased noise at night, motorbikes driven over their front garden and revved up outside their front window late at night, their scrotes even abused his wife when she walked to the shops, etc. They knew they couldn't complain to the authorities of course because they would have to disclose any formal complaints if they ever tried to sell the house and who's going to buy a place with that on record? My friend almost had a breakdown but luckily the scum moved to another housing association property. He got got so low he vowed to leave the country and as soon as his PhD (physics) was finished he emigrated.

So, I'm just saying, don't ket it get out of control. What my friend should have done was get some private thugs to kick the shit out of them one night but - well - he is an educated man and just doesn't mix in those circles. I mean who does?

Sounds about right! We have had awful neighbours for about 16 years... only recently some decent ones have moved in... but I know all too well the horrors you describe. Good on your friend for getting out of this hellhole.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421