House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

I Am Getting A Bit Fed Up

...which I won't find because I don't own one...

OK, cheer me up HPCers. I am getting fed up of looking at houses coming on the market for more and more ludicrous asking prices. The stuff is in a rising spiral. Feck knows how fast they would be rising IF the economy was booming.

Stuff that would have come on last year for 250K is now coming on for over 300K - even 300K is not enough, 320 and 350 being the norm.

I get the impression that EA in my areas are using the 250K no stamp duty threshold if you are a FTB as a sign to value starter homes at 250K and everything else well above. Anyone else seeing or suspecting this in their area?

OK, cheer me up HPCers. I am getting fed up of looking at houses coming on the market for more and more ludicrous asking prices. The stuff is in a rising spiral. Feck knows how fast they would be rising IF the economy was booming.

Stuff that would have come on last year for 250K is now coming on for over 300K - even 300K is not enough, 320 and 350 being the norm.

I get the impression that EA in my areas are using the 250K no stamp duty threshold if you are a FTB as a sign to value starter homes at 250K and everything else well above. Anyone else seeing or suspecting this in their area?

I'm glad you haven't got a revolver. Perhaps you should take a rest from it or enjoy some other pastime for a while. Take a look at the graph on hpc home page. It looks very promising to me. Those silly asking prices are just asking prices which are frivolous until someone actually buys at those prices which I don't think will happen.

Anyway, enjoy the whisky.

In my area things are looking way more sane than a year ago and we are finally seeing substantial reductions on houses that have been sitting on the market for 2 years at ludicrous prices.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to initial asking prices, given that lots of them will end up reduced. (I wonder what percentage of houses get reduced at some point and how that figure has changed recently.)

don't shoot yourself, but if you do, would you like us to have the eventual fall in real terms house prices engraved on your tombstone?

maybe go and look at Propertysnake to cheer yourself up.

For the first time ever today my Rightmove property "alert" email contained 3 auction properties, which look like they are being sold by administrators...

No 1

No 2 (next door to no 1)

No 3

Something is afoot... the rising house prices are just people being delusional....

In my area things are looking way more sane than a year ago and we are finally seeing substantial reductions on houses that have been sitting on the market for 2 years at ludicrous prices.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to initial asking prices, given that lots of them will end up reduced. (I wonder what percentage of houses get reduced at some point and how that figure has changed recently.)

don't shoot yourself, but if you do, would you like us to have the eventual fall in real terms house prices engraved on your tombstone?

maybe go and look at Propertysnake to cheer yourself up.

Thanks for the tombstone offer.

Propertysnake is really really out of date in my area.

The problem I have is that the asking prices are now coming on so ridiculously high that even with a year of drops they will still be way over-valued compared to when houses sold during the boom.

Considering most Welsh are actually Irish - why not buy a pad with acres of land for 50,000 in Ireland. Its only an hr or two if you run out of rarebit

Just relax and enjoy the surrealness.

I agree and I might just skip the country. Tempted to just load up the car, and escape to France, Germany, wherever. Drive till the engine stops. rolleyes.gif

Maybe the sheeple are beginning to realise the extent of their mewing and debt. Beginning to panic and ask more for their properties while less sell. Eventually reality kicks in... I have no evidence to back the above but let's think positive!

I have a look in estate agents windows all over the country and between my last look I get the impression you get a fresh wave of kite flyers.

Unless banks repossess with a will - and TBH I think they ought to really - you're not going to see the big across the board falls.

Maybe the sheeple are beginning to realise the extent of their mewing and debt. Beginning to panic and ask more for their properties while less sell. Eventually reality kicks in... I have no evidence to back the above but let's think positive!

That thought had crossed my mind.

Take a look at the RM reports for 2008. IIRC initial asking prices were rising as actual selling prices fell.

Also, ignore the dreamers-if they're not in the market to accept reasonable offers, they're not in the market.

Finally remembes that the REAL falls didn't begin until summer 08-I expect the same this time around when the spring bounce hasn't and panic starts to set in. Also EAs will eventually realise that attempting to market lots of overpriced tat may make them look busy but doesn't pay the bills..

Don't worry prices are still going to hell in a handbasket, they're just taking the scenic route.

Don't worry prices are still going to hell in a handbasket, they're just taking the scenic route.

and in Wales that is either on the Ffestiniog Railway or a Conwy bus tour for old todgers - both famously slow

I feel for you fella, I do. I am seeing exactly the same thing I wouldn't be surprised if we are from the same area.

The prices are sooooooo unrealistic it's beyond a joke, crappy terraced houses (out of town) for 250k upwards.

The tide is turning albeit very slowly. I'm just hanging in for public sector cuts (which employs a large proportion of the area) and interest rate rises - it has got to happen, it just has too

I feel for you fella, I do. I am seeing exactly the same thing I wouldn't be surprised if we are from the same area.

The prices are sooooooo unrealistic it's beyond a joke, crappy terraced houses (out of town) for 250k upwards.

The tide is turning albeit very slowly. I'm just hanging in for public sector cuts (which employs a large proportion of the area) and interest rate rises - it has got to happen, it just has too

Swansea.

Maybe we're the sheeple...

Leave HPC for a week, don't watch the news, don't look at house prices, just get on with your life. You'll feel better for it even though it's just ignoring all the rubbish in the world rather than facing it. We all need an escape from reality every now and then. Just wait until the weather improves though.

Up until a week ago I was checking house prices with bee everyday to try and spot trends but with the latest data from halifax I can see the trend is one direction and it's likely to go that way for the next 2 years, I have now stopped looking at asking prices because they depress me and seem to bare no relation to actual prices. I just check here, land registry and the BBC mainly now. I feel much better for it - just getting on with my life while house prices crumble I should be in a good position in 5 or so years.

I agree and I might just skip the country. Tempted to just load up the car, and escape to France, Germany, wherever. Drive till the engine stops. rolleyes.gif

Just pray that you don't break down in Dover. :D