House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
twinkle

Amersham/chesham

Anyone market watching around these areas? We are thinking of moving to the area - does anyone live near here and know what's been happening to the market? Are there any no go areas that aren't apparent to the casual visitor? My impressions are of lovely leafy countryside style streets.

Anyone market watching around these areas? We are thinking of moving to the area - does anyone live near here and know what's been happening to the market? Are there any no go areas that aren't apparent to the casual visitor? My impressions are of lovely leafy countryside style streets.

Amersham is very good I live nearby in Chorleywood. Only real problem drunk trash kids at a few bars on the weekend nights. Old town and outskirts are especially nice.

Chesham much more trashy especially in the town center. Attracts the yobs from Hemel at the weekend. Also has a high "ethnic population" moving in. You will notice the difference staight away thats why it's much cheaper. Train service is also much worse on the Met if thats an issue.

Try all the Chalfonts as they are fine aswell.

As for prices they haven't gone up in 2 or 3 years and many houses have been on and off the market after not selling. Likewise I haven't seen any drops either. As decent terrace is still 300 or so and detached 450 at a min. Decent stuff still sells in Amersham becasue everyone wants to be in that school district.

Thanks whiterabbit - nobody seems to be in your neck of the woods. Yes I have noticed more properties on the market in Chesham, than Amersham but compared to where I live now (Harrow) them seem quite cheap!

It's interesting about the gangs of kids. They seem to be everywhere these days, even in "nice" areas - what's happened to our green and pleasant land?

I am currently renting in Amersham and keeping an eye on both that and the Chesham markets.

An awful lot of property is starting to stick now and I believe we are now starting to see some reductions. For example I've seen a property in Waterside, Chesham reduced from 320,000 to 290,000 in the last few weeks.

I am also now seeing some sub 250k 3 bed properties in Amersham which was previously unheard of.

Sit tight and wait I say - as the previous poster indicated prices haven't been going up for a long time.

Good luck!!

I am currently renting in Amersham and keeping an eye on both that and the Chesham markets.

An awful lot of property is starting to stick now and I believe we are now starting to see some reductions. For example I've seen a property in Waterside, Chesham reduced from 320,000 to 290,000 in the last few weeks.

I am also now seeing some sub 250k 3 bed properties in Amersham which was previously unheard of.

Sit tight and wait I say - as the previous poster indicated prices haven't been going up for a long time.

Good luck!!

Yes I agree surprisingly there are also a lot of 750k rentals in Chorleywoood, Chalfont, Amersham that are sitting empty due to a lack of high end renters. I think it will be this market and above that will first start to drift. The 300k village terrace houses will be next hopefully I think the safest bets are still within walking distance of the Met line.

I have been STR now for 3 months and currently rent in a new development in Old Amersham. Rents have reduced and my Landlord is probably lucky to achieve a 3% yield on my rent. There are many apartments which have stood empty for months now which the developers are desperate to move. The other evening they held a party in one of the show flats complete with a jazz band and catering - not one prospective person arrived to view the whole evening.

Stay well away from Chesham - the place is in terminal decline - the only new development is a gigantic new mosque being built there

I have been STR now for 3 months and currently rent in a new development in Old Amersham. Rents have reduced and my Landlord is probably lucky to achieve a 3% yield on my rent. There are many apartments which have stood empty for months now which the developers are desperate to move. The other evening they held a party in one of the show flats complete with a jazz band and catering - not one prospective person arrived to view the whole evening.

Stay well away from Chesham - the place is in terminal decline - the only new development is a gigantic new mosque being built there

Old Amershan is a great place and I don't think the landlords there really care about the yield that much.

I know a few who have moved up or abroad and kept the houses or flats just because they wanted them in Old Amersham, money didn't enter the equation. I am talking the nice places on the high street or just off, not the new builds.

Are the show flats you are talking about opposite the hospital by chance?

Right on about Chesham, its a crime the way that place is declining. It may soon be another Luton

Good luck!!

I rent a flat in Berkhamsted just down the road from Amersham and Chesham. I have seen rents fall dramatically over the last two years. Our landlord wanted £700, we offered £600 and were accepted. Our new next door neighbour pays £550. i.e. rents are falling due to a glut of supply.

I have checked what our landlord payed for the property by looking on rightmove sold prices and he paid £157,750. By my reckoning his repayments must exceed our rent. In any case his yield is 4.5% on capital and potentially no growth given pricing in the area. He might have been better off putting his money in a ing account!

Prices in the area are dropping to the extent that whilst the average is high there are those houses for ridiculous prices that don't sell and those who want to sell have to reduce the prices considerably.

A point previous made is Chesham is, unfortunately, fast becoming a bit 'neglected'. I'm basing this purely on the % of houses which have cars in the garden that are clearly not taxed or roadworthy!

A point previous made is Chesham is, unfortunately, fast becoming a bit 'neglected'. I'm basing this purely on the % of houses which have cars in the garden that are clearly not taxed or roadworthy!

Quite true, Chesham has been on a downward slide for some years now, dating back IMO to when they pedestrianised the high street about 15-20 years ago.

There are still some niceish areas in Chesham however it does suffer in comparison with surrounding towns, the town centre is especially dire. The Berkhamsted end is one of the less attractive areas.

Edited by Young Goat

Quite true, Chesham has been on a downward slide for some years now, dating back IMO to when they pedestrianised the high street about 15-20 years ago.

There are still some niceish areas in Chesham however it does suffer in comparison with surrounding towns, the town centre is especially dire. The Berkhamsted end is one of the less attractive areas.

Interesting. Chesham is the first place I can remember living, from 1959 or early 1960 to summer 1962 (when we left I was 'nearly 7'). Dad's work took the family to Scotland and then Australia.

My main memory of Chesham was the excitement (little kid then!) of catching the tube into town with Mum and Dad to shop. I suppose that would have been Christmas 1961.

When I returned for a UK holiday a few years ago, I made a point of going back and looking around Chesham with adult eyes (I clearly remembered the address, funny what sticks in the mind). Grey's Walk, where we had lived, was a little L-shaped cul-de-sac at the top of one of the ridges. It had ten or twelve private semi-detached houses with a much larger detached house in the crook of the L, the whole group being surrounded by a council estate (which hadn't registered at all when I was living there). A couple of roads had been bollarded to prevent rat-running, but most of my memories of the immediate surrounds were surprisingly accurate.

The thing that really struck me most in 2001 was the terrible state of repair of all the streets. They were hugely potholed, as if there had been no maintenance done for 20 years.

I actually thought the town centre looked reasonable, except for a very tired-looking area around the tube station. Maybe things have deteriorated a bit in the last 4 years, or maybe I was just there at a good time (Bank holiday Saturday afternoon).

Oh, and to Australian eyes (it was 3 dollars to the pound in 2001) the house prices showing in the Estate Agents' windows were staggeringly high. Mum couldn't believe them when I told her back in Oz.

The thing that really struck me most in 2001 was the terrible state of repair of all the streets. They were hugely potholed, as if there had been no maintenance done for 20 years.

I actually thought the town centre looked reasonable, except for a very tired-looking area around the tube station. Maybe things have deteriorated a bit in the last 4 years, or maybe I was just there at a good time (Bank holiday Saturday afternoon).

Bucks CC has a terrible reputation for road maintainance.

The town centre is ok during the day but deserted after about 6 except for the usual hoodies.

Bucks CC has a terrible reputation for road maintainance.

The town centre is ok during the day but deserted after about 6 except for the usual hoodies.

Update: Stuff just south of Amersham is slowly dropping or being pulled. A neighbour just pulled theirs off after about 6 months at the same price they last tried to get for it in 2002. Still really expensive though 375 for a 3 bed terrace in Chorleywood.