House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ill_handle_it

Homes Under The Hammer

Fortunately I'm at work when this BBC show is aired. I have in the past watched an entire show (although I'm not sure why) but today I foolishly entered a room where the programme was spewing from a TV. I had no choice but to watch or leave the room. Can someone please tell me why this programme is still being made ? During the few minutes I had to endure I watched the male presenter walk around a house due for auction making judgmental remarks and generally being a smug *anker. I left the room only to return to a delighted property developer (who could barely speak English) talking about how he would turn his latest acquisition into a "rent machine". I'm sorry but how is this entertainment ? Quite frankly it's offensive. In another show I saw a few months ago the female presenter said that she might be interested in the property herself - like we care ? Simply awful TV.

Fortunately I'm at work when this BBC show is aired. I have in the past watched an entire show (although I'm not sure why) but today I foolishly entered a room where the programme was spewing from a TV. I had no choice but to watch or leave the room. Can someone please tell me why this programme is still being made ? During the few minutes I had to endure I watched the male presenter walk around a house due for auction making judgmental remarks and generally being a smug *anker. I left the room only to return to a delighted property developer (who could barely speak English) talking about how he would turn his latest acquisition into a "rent machine". I'm sorry but how is this entertainment ? Quite frankly it's offensive. In another show I saw a few months ago the female presenter said that she might be interested in the property herself - like we care ? Simply awful TV.

Each to his own. I'm home a couple of mornings a week - HUTH is the only way I ever get any ironing done. ;)

All the punters are not smug w*nkers, though I'll agree quite a few are.

You get young couples looking for a first home, families looking for something bigger, and a lot of one-man bands who put a hell of a lot of their own sweat and hard graft into turning some filthy dump into a nice home. If they make any profit/income out of it, then as far as I'm concerned, good luck to them. There are plenty who'd never put that amount of graft in, or take the financial risk, either.

Now and then you also get the one-offs: someone buying a piece of woodland, just to enjoy; someone else buying a house purely because he wanted to preserve and restore the mediaeval water mill in the garden.

Each to his own. I'm home a couple of mornings a week - HUTH is the only way I ever get any ironing done. ;)

All the punters are not smug w*nkers, though I'll agree quite a few are.

You get young couples looking for a first home, families looking for something bigger, and a lot of one-man bands who put a hell of a lot of their own sweat and hard graft into turning some filthy dump into a nice home. If they make any profit/income out of it, then as far as I'm concerned, good luck to them. There are plenty who'd never put that amount of graft in, or take the financial risk, either.

Now and then you also get the one-offs: someone buying a piece of woodland, just to enjoy; someone else buying a house purely because he wanted to preserve and restore the mediaeval water mill in the garden.

You clearly watch it more than I. However,it was the presenter I referred to as a w*nker,not the punter(s). The developer who won the auction had 100's of properties so it's safe to assume he's out-bid many of the young couples you speak of. I do take your point about grafters but the show constantly speaks about profits and the developers often gloat -