House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is It Fair To Fine Fat People For Not Dieting?

Not if it is a fine imposed by a state that imposes it's medical care on it's citizens irrespective of whether or not they want to be a part of it and charges them for it through taxation.

Course not. Its absurd. Might as well fine Old people for living past 75. They cost more in the longrun than fatties who die shortly before retirement.

Fat old people are the absolute plague of society.

********. How many massively obese folk do you see down the pension queue? How many morbidly overweight people need to go to care homes for 20 or 30 years after they stop paying income tax?

That's where the money is going, not the fat bloke down the hall.

The idea of dieting is stupid because it assumes you can go back to your old level of consumption after a certain amount of time which of course you cannot without going back to your old weight.

Perhaps a better alternative is to make doorways only big enough for a thin person to squeeze thru. Make clothes only up to a certain size. Or make houses vertical with stairs. You know. change something about the environment to make it happen.

Ah, size 0 dresses. That was popular :)

I think it was a joke.

Anyway, they fine rich people with taxes - it's called progressive taxation. Trouble is you'd need quite a controlling infrastructure to do the same with people's biomass.

Perhaps a better alternative is to make doorways only big enough for a thin person to squeeze thru. Make clothes only up to a certain size. Or make houses vertical with stairs. You know. change something about the environment to make it happen.

Make them dance for food.

Y'know, like the truffle shuffle.

This is really simple to implement - you just need a tax on foods that's the same %age as the fat content (include sugar as a 'stealth' fat) - that way, crappy stuff like ice cream, biscuits, sweets, chocolate, most fast food, etc would be punitive to buy.

Fruit and vegatables should be VAT free as well.

Buckers

Erm all the stuff in the top paragraph have VAT on them.

All the stuff on the bottom line are already VAT free, cold food over the counter is VAT free, for the time being it is VAT free (there are moves a foot to put VAT on food I reckon)/

In Japan the government put a law in recently about this.

Companies are to weigh and do a electrical body fat thing on their employees every month, if they are considered to be fat then the company has 2-3 months to 'rectify this situation' if the person is still fat the company getsa whopping fine (i.e. the employee gets sacked).

In Japan the government put a law in recently about this.

Companies are to weigh and do a electrical body fat thing on their employees every month, if they are considered to be fat then the company has 2-3 months to 'rectify this situation' if the person is still fat the company getsa whopping fine (i.e. the employee gets sacked).

:lol: Surely not!

Do you have a link, Ken?

People who are both fat and old. If you remember Venn Diagrams, these lot would be in the middle.

Never used a Venn Diagram in my life, yet I was made to study them for weeks.

Given their ability to persecute fat people, it's clear these mathematical marvels are worthy of further study.

People who are both fat and old. If you remember Venn Diagrams, these lot would be in the middle.

Ah yes! I see what you mean :)

The idea of dieting is stupid because it assumes you can go back to your old level of consumption after a certain amount of time which of course you cannot without going back to your old weight.

Very true. When I decided I needed to lose some fat, I knew it had to be a permanent lifestyle change. Not just some temporary diet.

If I ever go back to my old ways, I should expect to look as bad again.

This is really simple to implement - you just need a tax on foods that's the same %age as the fat content (include sugar as a 'stealth' fat) - that way, crappy stuff like ice cream, biscuits, sweets, chocolate, most fast food, etc would be punitive to buy.

Fruit and vegatables should be VAT free as well.

Buckers

Won't happen because "fattening" food is all processed food, so you would have Nabisco, Nestle, Kellogs. etc all on your case, plus all the supermarkets. The supermarkets are chock full of crap 90% of the floorspace stocked with rubbish which is probably totally unneccessary for human existence.

There is a lot of money involved in fattening up the livestock, then all the doctors and nurses and admins involved in sorting out all their health problems.

Here is one you may find useful:

socialmediatshirt.jpg

post-8808-0-78965600-1305671749_thumb.jpg

I thought they found that people ate far more calories in the past and that most of the issue is down to increasingly sedentary lives.

Perhaps, but likely to also be down to the chemical composition of those calories - they are not all equal...

I thought they found that people ate far more calories in the past and that most of the issue is down to increasingly sedentary lives.

Not to mention generational medical issues. Like, more of today's adults were bottle-fed as infants than in earlier generations. The strength of the correlation between that and obesity in adult life has only recently been established.

But AIUI the story is just that you follow quack's advice (how much does that cost?). If you do that and still don't lose weight, that's fine.

the first thing that hit me from this article was the medicaid figures.

unsurprisingly in the billions. maybe start with stopping pharma monopolies on drugs and treatment, reduce the tax burden and increase awareness.

alternatively, it's prevention rather than cure which means pulling the products from the shelves (codex and the like will help with that and pharma will like that even more). hardly fair on the non fat b****** consumer who enjoys the occasional burger but doesn't have 50 a day.

Just put a tax on like they do with tobacco and beer and should do with other drugs.

Im not in favour of any taxes, but if we must have socialized healthcare, at least fix the other end by 'internalizing' the externalities.

Or better still, get rid of the NHS AND taxes.