House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

Google Adwords Vs Yellow Pages

I've just setup an Adwords account for my dad's business. The business is well established for a number of years, but he has become sick of YP trying to take unauthorised payments out of his account (for which is waiting for an explanation), and we both believe that using the advertising money he usually spends on YP, he should use on upping his Google rating. He says that when a lot of people contact him in the past (before I started to put any effort into his online presence), they mention that they get his details when they saw his small website. We're currently going to test the water for few months, before deciding to pull-out large our YP adverts, although he may keep a line advert in.

I'm currently rebuilding his website for him, which should help his cause. On Sky today, they say that YP's sales in their "book" are down by 18%. We see them as a slowly dying business. Is this the right cause of action?

is YP fee also reduced from last year owing to the ever reducing demand for their product?

how much traffic does the YP UK website generate as a business search engine?

These are other things to consider.

is YP fee also reduced from last year owing to the ever reducing demand for their product?

how much traffic does the YP UK website generate as a business search engine?

These are other things to consider.

YP prices seem to be going up...they also decided to try and take out nearly two and a half grand (with no explanation) before my dad stopped the DD...With the YP, they setup a number that's only advertised on yell.com, which allows them to count how many calls you get per quarter...I've only started using Adwords about a fortnight ago, so it's probably too early to tell, but it does look promising...

We decreased our YP spend from £15k pa to £500 a couple of years ago and diverted this into web traffic. our account manager at YP almost jumped out our window when we did that. Not a business that will last for much longer IMO.

The size of the directory has reduced as companies see it as outdated - the account manager tried to use this as a selling point saying it was now handy sized!

I'm pulling out of all the directories, and don't bother with adwords just make sure my website is well optimised for suitable keywords. I very rarely if ever click on a google paid result, always take from the actual results. Google local is good to take advantage of, doubt it'll be free forever though

yellow pages is dying fast imo

I've just setup an Adwords account for my dad's business. The business is well established for a number of years, but he has become sick of YP trying to take unauthorised payments out of his account (for which is waiting for an explanation), and we both believe that using the advertising money he usually spends on YP, he should use on upping his Google rating. He says that when a lot of people contact him in the past (before I started to put any effort into his online presence), they mention that they get his details when they saw his small website. We're currently going to test the water for few months, before deciding to pull-out large our YP adverts, although he may keep a line advert in.

I'm currently rebuilding his website for him, which should help his cause. On Sky today, they say that YP's sales in their "book" are down by 18%. We see them as a slowly dying business. Is this the right cause of action?

I guess it depends on the business. Google clicks can be very expensive, and there can be lot of competition on certain search terms. It may take some, to find the profitable keywords that actually make you money. With Google, they tend to work on the "one born every minute" basis, but if you don't know what you are doing you can loose a lot of money. Of course when you find your profitable keywords, you can optimise your site for those, and get better organic rankings. With Adwords always ensure you get a good quality score for the term/page to minimize costs.

Facebook advertising can be worth a look too, if the business is suitable. You can target people of a specific age, locality, interests, sex and so on with FB and the rates are lower.

So this sounds like it was recent? Stopping DD's can backfire even if you are in the right as it can screw up your credit rating. Make sure this doesn't happen when you get your explanation. Make sure they don't blackmark your dad.

So this sounds like it was recent? Stopping DD's can backfire even if you are in the right as it can screw up your credit rating. Make sure this doesn't happen when you get your explanation. Make sure they don't blackmark your dad.

He's been trying to get the account manager out to explain themselves...they seem to be bloody useless...

Where does the money go when paying Yell for services - how much is advertising and how much goes towards servicing their £2.76 billion debt pile?

Where does the money go when paying Yell for services - how much is advertising and how much goes towards servicing their £2.76 billion debt pile?

::cough::