House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

U K Taxpayers "agree" To Help Portugal With £4.3Bn

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1387802/Portugal-bailout-EU-500-family-George-Osborne-agrees-deal.html

Every family in Britain will contribute £500 to bail out the euro after George Osborne last night signed up to a rescue fund for Portugal.
The Chancellor and fellow finance ministers agreed a Europe-wide £68billion deal to prop up the single currency by rescuing Portugal, which will cost UK taxpayers £4.3billion.

What with milions being given to Pakistan to help improve their schools and now billions for the EUROzone its little wonder people in this country are getting sick and tired of it all. But how do people express their discontent? I voted UKIP in the last local elecions but didn't even hear if they got any votes other than mine!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1387802/Portugal-bailout-EU-500-family-George-Osborne-agrees-deal.html

Every family in Britain will contribute £500 to bail out the euro after George Osborne last night signed up to a rescue fund for Portugal.
The Chancellor and fellow finance ministers agreed a Europe-wide £68billion deal to prop up the single currency by rescuing Portugal, which will cost UK taxpayers £4.3billion.

What with milions being given to Pakistan to help improve their schools and now billions for the EUROzone its little wonder people in this country are getting sick and tired of it all. But how do people express their discontent? I voted UKIP in the last local elecions but didn't even hear if they got any votes other than mine!

People could have expressed their discontent by voting for AV and thus ending (edit: or at least initiating the end of) the current 2 1/2 party system. They didn't though, so we must assume that people are content to have their views ignored indefinitely.

Edit: Although it's not bailing out the euro, it's bailing out Portugal. Big difference.

Edited by snowflux

People could have expressed their discontent by voting for AV and thus ending (edit: or at least initiating the end of) the current 2 1/2 party system. They didn't though, so we must assume that people are content to have their views ignored indefinitely.

Edit: Although it's not bailing out the euro, it's bailing out Portugal. Big difference.

No its bailing out European banks, even bigger difference

Edited by georgia o'keeffe

Unfortunately the tabloids didn't tell them to. It was all to complicated for the man on the street and not worth explaining.

Just like the man on the street couldn't care less about this, it won't even register on their radar.

As Georgia says, this ismoney to bail out European banks. Theft of taxpayer money is becoming more and more brazen. They will be breaking into homes next and stealing your valuables, with the police standing by in case you cause any trouble.

If you try and do anything to stop it you are called a loony or a violent rioter, just like those protestors in Bristol against the Tesco. No mention of the fact that the initial crime was breach of monopoly power, followed up by corruption by politicians and police to support that breach. Defend the law, and you are called a loony or an anarchist or a terrorist.

Guest eight

No its bailing out European banks, even bigger difference

Well spotted. The people receiving the bailout are Portugal's creditors. The other alternative was default.

eight

As Georgia says, this ismoney to bail out European banks. Theft of taxpayer money is becoming more and more brazen. They will be breaking into homes next and stealing your valuables, with the police standing by in case you cause any trouble.

If you try and do anything to stop it you are called a loony or a violent rioter, just like those protestors in Bristol against the Tesco. No mention of the fact that the initial crime was breach of monopoly power, followed up by corruption by politicians and police to support that breach. Defend the law, and you are called a loony or an anarchist or a terrorist.

Funny how the world goes around doesn't it? In China land seizures by force rather than consent (there was this silly notion of for the good of the notion pre 1980s) were considered to be evil by westerners. THese people fought back and were labelled terrorists by the CCP. Now pretty much the same thing is happening in Europe and nobody bats an eye.

Bugger off. Hand me a referendum against bailouts then i'll vote.

AV had nothing to do with expressing discontent for the EU or anything else.

guy-fawkes.jpg

Just what I was thinking.

Its our ONLY hope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Cromwell

Oliver Cromwell (25 April 1599 – 3 September 1658) was an English military and political leader best known in England for his overthrow of the monarchy and temporarily turning England into a republican Commonwealth, and for his rule as Lord Protector of England, Scotland and Ireland.

Edited by Realistbear

Unfortunately the tabloids didn't tell them to. It was all to complicated for the man on the street and not worth explaining.

Just like the man on the street couldn't care less about this, it won't even register on their radar.

The only way it will register on their radar is if the taxable pay deductions on their payslips/ p60's include a nice pie chart showing exactly what they are getting for their labour.

I've said it time and time again, voting is an activism sponge, i.e people think voting makes a difference. The only way to make a real difference is to oil your AK47, gather a couple of rocket propelled grenades and march on the capital, victory or defeat does not matter. As long as you acutually do it. 1989 for example the protestors lost big time, but this proved to be a massive catalyst for change. 1966+67 HK the protestors lost big time martial law was declared, but it made the leaders at the time think blimey you know this isn't working...... if we continue this path of action we can't execute everybody.

Take a look around the world violence and insurrection are the prime engines of change around the world. The only real notable example is Taiwan which was a result of a violent take over of the country by the KMT then 50 years of martial law.

The UK corruption and statism wont change because all you do is protest peacefully protests NEED to be violent. Imagine if the anti Iraq war protests.... the civilians outnumbered the police 15-1 what would have happened if the civilians overpowered all the police officers. Two things, government would change or the army would be deployed and start shooting civvies which would cause them an even greater problem.

I've said it time and time again, voting is an activism sponge, i.e people think voting makes a difference. The only way to make a real difference is to oil your AK47, gather a couple of rocket propelled grenades and march on the capital, victory or defeat does not matter. As long as you acutually do it. 1989 for example the protestors lost big time, but this proved to be a massive catalyst for change. 1966+67 HK the protestors lost big time martial law was declared, but it made the leaders at the time think blimey you know this isn't working...... if we continue this path of action we can't execute everybody.

Take a look around the world violence and insurrection are the prime engines of change around the world. The only real notable example is Taiwan which was a result of a violent take over of the country by the KMT then 50 years of martial law.

The UK corruption and statism wont change because all you do is protest peacefully protests NEED to be violent. Imagine if the anti Iraq war protests.... the civilians outnumbered the police 15-1 what would have happened if the civilians overpowered all the police officers. Two things, government would change or the army would be deployed and start shooting civvies which would cause them an even greater problem.

Its takes enough anger, a government out of touch with the people and a leader. We do violence very efficiently. Our "cousins" in 1776 and all that. But did it ourselves in the 17th century--not just a revolution but a civil war (Revolution on steroids).

The anger is brewing, the government is 80% out of touch and no leader has yet emerged.

Edited by Realistbear

Bugger off. Hand me a referendum against bailouts then i'll vote.

AV had nothing to do with expressing discontent for the EU or anything else.

It had everything to do with expressing discontent with the current political system IMO, which is why I voted Yes. Any change was better than no change given where we are, if for no other reason that it would signal greater engagement with the political process, even if only briefly.

As for a referendum on bails outs, no chance, would be nice though.

Right now we are being fleeced from every which way and we get very little say in the matter. As has been pointed out if you protest you're a loon, if you don't you're happy with your lot. Heads I win, tails you lose. It needs to change. We need greater accountability. Our local, national focussed politics are no match for the global forces currently at work. Not sure where that takes us mind, but we need a sensible and intelligent discussion find and test out ideas. No chance there either...

Its takes enough anger, a government out of touch with the people and a leader. We do violence very efficiently. Our "cousins" in 1776 and all that. But did it ourselves in the 17th century--not just a revolution but a civil war (Revolution on steroids).

The anger is brewing, the government is 80% out of touch and no leader has yet emerged.

Given the situation with the banks robbing the tax payer etc, how about a French style revolution...

more borrowing from the bankers by Uk taxpayers to LEND to Portugal so they can payback bankers what they borrowed 10 years ago.

Nice little earner.

Just wondering who is going to lend to Portugal when its time for OUR repayment?

Just what I was thinking.

Its our ONLY hope.

http://en.wikipedia....Oliver_Cromwell

Oliver Cromwell (25 April 1599 – 3 September 1658) was an English military and political leader best known in England for his overthrow of the monarchy and temporarily turning England into a republican Commonwealth, and for his rule as Lord Protector of England, Scotland and Ireland.

"Please, please somebody do something while I sit back and watch."

Sorry RB, this is not directed at you personally.

Sorry RB, this is not directed at you personally.

I voted UKIP--every little helps....... Hope others did, at least, something to rid ourselves of this troublesome Parliament.

Some don't know what's happening, others watch what's happening but some make things happen.

I voted UKIP--every little helps....... Hope others did, at least, something to rid ourselves of this troublesome Parliament.

Some don't know what's happening, others watch what's happening but some make things happen.

Yes but as somebody wrote, nobody gave us a chance to vote on those bailouts.

I'm afraid voting UKIP won't help. The EU has been one of the biggest drags preventing our economy and society becoming even more American and right-wing. Just think of all the social legislation (the Social Chapter, for instance and all that consumer protection) that would have not been in force now if it wasn't for the EU. We've had a Tory government (in one way or another) for the last 30 years, and look what's happened. All your money is being siphoned off to a minority of people (think of the City of London for what it really is -- an offshore tax haven). We have been convinced that by paying for the common good we are wasting our money, so if we privatise it, it will be more effectively spent. Hey, guess what, you now pay for everything that was once given free; you pay to park *everywhere* now; you pay far more than you should to go on a train (it's subsidised, FFS, but they still make a profit -- out of YOU!); you have high rents because they sold off all the social housing and never replaced it -- social housing helped to keep rents low. And still millions think they are better off because they have more money in their pockets.

I find it amazing how so many people have been conned. The AV referendum wasn't perfect, but it was an opportunity to change things. However the Tories got behind No and scuppered the Yes campaign (Conservative Home: The story of the AV campaign). That many on the Labour side helped this is a disgrace, but it just goes to show that turkeys don't vote for Christmas. Both Labour and Tory are right-wing parties, and of those that bother to vote more than 30% DON'T vote for them. That it was AV and not PR shows how well the Tories conned the Lib Dems. But that there was an opportunity to change things should have been taken with both hands.

the next constitutional thing they are talking about is the House of Lords. They are saying there should be a referendum to make that an elected house (well 80% of it). Now folks, if you believe in democracy, GET OFF YOUR ARSES AND VOTE FOR CHANGE. If you don't, because what's the point, or there are more important things to complain about, then you deserve everything you get.

We need an economy based on real things -- we need to make new technology devices, and we need to be competing in software and the IT revolution. We don't need to be looking at freeing up capital controls between countries and developing more and more ingenious ways to 'make money' from money. That is the fool's direction -- and one we have been going in since the 1960s when we agreed to look after Russia's US dollars.

Until this country wakes up to the fact that the few are stealing off the many to give to the few, and that we need to go back to owning much more as a nation (Nationalisation, remember that?) we will be in deep dodo. They say 25% of people will probably live in a freezing house this winter because they can't afford the high energy prices. Well Nationalise the utility companies and subsidise the unit cost of electricity and gas by taking more from the rich to do this.

LVT anyone?

OK, rant over.

IT's OK saying that, but what can the individual do about it? I keep racking my brains, but end up getting frustrated as I'm just one person. I also voted UKIP, but there must be more that can be done...

People don't really understand the issues. Most of the population won't even get the memo that we bailed out Portugal (sorry, the Bankers) to the tune of £500 per family. They will see no immediate change in their lives as a result of this news anyway, so it is unlikely to resonate with them even if they have.

Only when the result of government largesse (I use that term to encompass previous governments as well) come home to roost fully, and people see inflation and taxes go really nuts to pay for all the stupid decisions, will people start to wake up. Even then, most won't understand why or how we got there, just that things aren't like they used to be and they don't like it, boo hoo.

Personally I think the banks and politicians are criminal, but why put yourself in harms way protesting in direct action? It's not that effective anyway. The best thing you can do to protect yourself from their appalling decisions and to stick it to the banks is to take your money out of the banks and put it in gold. Not only will it protect your wealth from the ravages of the inflation they are unleashing (without endangering your life), but the more people who do it, the more it undermines the banks.

Alternatively sit here and moan about it.

Personally I think the banks and politicians are criminal, but why put yourself in harms way protesting in direct action? It's not that effective anyway. The best thing you can do to protect yourself from their appalling decisions and to stick it to the banks is to take your money out of the banks and put it in gold. Not only will it protect your wealth from the ravages of the inflation they are unleashing (without endangering your life), but the more people who do it, the more it undermines the banks.

Not forgetting Silver - Join The Silver Liberation Army today and stick it to them dirty Banksters.

Do nothing and you'll end up with whatever money ultimately gets revalued at. 10:1 or 100:1, take your pick, it's coming.

As Georgia says, this is money to bail out European banks. Theft of taxpayer money is becoming more and more brazen. They will be breaking into homes next and stealing your valuables, with the police standing by in case you cause any trouble.

I wouldn't put anything past them, but while ever they can steal on the cheap by printing money and robbing the savers that will be the path they'll opt for - the path of least resistance.

Not forgetting Silver - Join The Silver Liberation Army today and stick it to them dirty Banksters.

Do nothing and you'll end up with whatever money ultimately gets revalued at. 10:1 or 100:1, take your pick, it's coming.

True, forgot to put that one in there. Personally I recommend weighting your portflio more towards gold than silver though, due to higher price volatility in silver.