House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
guitarman001

Forth One Just Now

Just caught Forth One... the story was that more money than ever is being spent on households, largely due to HEATING BILLS. Cue complete numpties saying that they can't go on holiday this year, or out at the weekend, because heating bills are now so expensive.

What planet do they live on?

How about cutting the capital value of your home in half? See how affordable your life becomes then!

Just caught Forth One... the story was that more money than ever is being spent on households, largely due to HEATING BILLS. Cue complete numpties saying that they can't go on holiday this year, or out at the weekend, because heating bills are now so expensive.

How about cutting the capital value of your home in half? See how affordable your life becomes then!

Let's see how these people cope when the imminent fuel price hike comes in. What will they cut then?

Indeed. My gas bill is about £400 a quarter in the winter. My rent bill is £2400. House was built 100 years ago, so surely I'm not paying for its construction. What exactly am I paying for?

Indeed. My gas bill is about £400 a quarter in the winter. My rent bill is £2400. House was built 100 years ago, so surely I'm not paying for its construction. What exactly am I paying for?

Clearly your house has some sort of utility value? Otherwise nobody would be living in it...

Not sure how cutting the capital value of my home in half will make my life more affordable? Care to explain?

Not sure how cutting the capital value of my home in half will make my life more affordable? Care to explain?

I imagine the idea was when you buy it - you pay half as much for it through a mortgage - hence life becomes more affordable. ;)

Sounds like you paid it off relatively young - what line of work are you in?

I'll never be so lucky :(

Well, I've bought approx. 65% of my home to be more accurate! 20-odd years in the army meant I bought later in life, then STR'd for a couple of years. Bought back in at 10% below peak, simply because I couldn't handle renting. A personal thing.

In my situation, where does the reduction in the value of my home make my life more affordable? Like the vast majority of owner/occupiers that will exist in 5 years time, I've already bought my property, so I save nothing.

The point I'm obtusely trying to make is that most owners simply don't see price reductions working in their favour. They see they're mortgage, as a percentage of the cost of they're home, going up. Some people end up in negative equity, most start to worry about re-mortgaging.