House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Badger

Heaven Is A Fairy Story

Interesting that the religious commentators feel they must disagree. Christian theology states that the dead shall rise from their graves on the day of judgement. Only on that day shall they enter into heaven. Since that day has not yet arrived, we can be certain there are no Christians in heaven yet. Christianity says nothing about what happens between death and the day of judgement, when they sleep and when they wake. Thus Christians and Atheists have nothing to argue about.

Interesting that the religious commentators feel they must disagree. Christian theology states that the dead shall rise from their graves on the day of judgement. Only on that day shall they enter into heaven. Since that day has not yet arrived, we can be certain there are no Christians in heaven yet. Christianity says nothing about what happens between death and the day of judgement, when they sleep and when they wake. Thus Christians and Atheists have nothing to argue about.

There are only so many going too. So most of us are doomed anyway.

I also wish scientists would stay out of the spiritual arena. They may be well be right (depressingly).

I also wish scientists would stay out of the spiritual arena. They may be well be right (depressingly).

Every religion is just a sect or a convenient fusion of an earlier religion.

The Cannanites became Judiasm in the Bronze age. [Jewish scholars will not admit this, as it delegitimises their land claims]

Mithraism was the main Roman pagan [Meaning Rural Folk] religion, [born from Persian Zoroastrianism] which the Emperor Constantine merged with Christianity. [Again for the political, and economic advantages this gave him]

The anglo Saxon Celts, and pagans took the longest to convert to christianity, and much of what we call christian, is actually pagan in origin, the Christmas tree for example.

Many places in the UK are named after Norse Gods, like Thor and Odin. [Who are also worshipped under many other religions, with different names]

Makes more sense to me for human beings to worship the Sun, than fairy tales.

Im not adverse to 'spirituality', but not a believer in any brainwashing organised religion....................Why would you?

Pagan god's were worshipped in Britain, for a lot longer than any other.

Guest eight

Funnily enough I agree with that. Why not worship the Sun - all life revolves around it, literally.

To me one of the most "interesting" aspects of Labours term of office was how, over that time, the sun and the sunshine came to be rebranded as "a bad thing" - global warming, skin cancer etc. The British used to love a sunny day. Now on the odd occassions that we do get one (maybe 30 per year max in my part of the world) we're reduced to worrying about whether we "caused" it, by leaving the TV on standby or something.

eight

Funnily enough I agree with that. Why not worship the Sun - all life revolves around it, literally.

To me one of the most "interesting" aspects of Labours term of office was how, over that time, the sun and the sunshine came to be rebranded as "a bad thing" - global warming, skin cancer etc. The British used to love a sunny day. Now on the odd occassions that we do get one (maybe 30 per year max in my part of the world) we're reduced to worrying about whether we "caused" it, by leaving the TV on standby or something.

eight

Thats an interesting observation.

I do seem to remember, [as will those of you who got past page five....:blink:] In his Brief History of Time, on the last page, Hawking does state that he believes in a God, or a creator.

[i have not read the DM article above, but it would not surprise us, if they had ommited that]

Yes heaven is a fairy story...

but so is the big bang theory.

Many scientists agree with this, unfortuantely they're too busy arguing with each other in expanding it.

I hope Hawking isn't one of those who has a last minute 'change of heart' when his time comes.

eight

environmentalists have just created their own religion and worship 'Mother Earth'

Humans are evil creatures that have despoiled Mother Earth and we are now being punished.

frankly the idea that humans can control the environment is just as laughable as the idea that the Sun would not rise unless sacrifices were made to the Sun God.

Not made much progress really have we.

:blink:

edited for spelling

Hawking has spent his whole life searching for the creator.

If he really believes that death is the end one might wonder why he bothered.

:blink:

No offence, but I think this is all in your head and probably originated from spending time on internet forums. I have never, ever heard the opinion expressed, by anyone in the media or otherwise, that sunny days are bad. Parks, beaches and so on are packed on sunny days.

Good point. I choose to worship birds tits.

Kelly-Brook-Photos-4d361d9a077dc.jpg

They provide food and nourishment for the young. And they also provide sexual titilation for males to engage with sexual activity with females - in order to procreate.

Conclusion - birds tits are a million times more important to this species than any God.

frankly the idea that humans can control the environment is just as laughable as the idea that the Sun would not rise unless sacrifices were made to the Sun God.

Straw man misdirection. Many scientists (inc most climatologists) claim that humans can effect the Earth's environment - not control it. Big difference, and far more plausible.

Every religion is just a sect or a convenient fusion of an earlier religion.

That would be Sol Invictus - my favourite religious myth! The Wiki article says that a Sol Invictus festival of 25 Dec may be the one that the Romans absorbed as christmas, when they were trying sucessfully to assimilate the pagen religions.

Hmmm, surely then the sun is a minor deity and the supreme being is a super massive blackhole at the centre of the milky way?!

In Australia, where the sun admittedly causes a lot of (fatal) skin cancers, things have swung so far that people get so little UV light that we are having problems with serious vitamin D deficiency - and this is serious not just because of rickets but also because it causes abnormal foetal brain development.

Guest eight

No offence, but I think this is all in your head and probably originated from spending time on internet forums. I have never, ever heard the opinion expressed, by anyone in the media or otherwise, that sunny days are bad. Parks, beaches and so on are packed on sunny days.

...... with kids wearing head to toe surf suits, hats, and factor 50 on the few bits left exposed. When did we get so...... squeamish?

eight

Winter levels

UK summer levels

Thats a fairly un-useful comparison IMO. Winter in Australia is summer up here - and vice versa.

A better winter comparison would be with Oz in June and the N Hemisphere in December. And vice versa for the summer comparison. That would give a much better comparison of levels in different places.

If there is a god, then it can only be one thing...the Universe itself.

We know the universe exists and that it is conscious....ie, we are part of it and conscious, therefore, god, the creator, exists, and it knows us.

Not sure its the same one as in the bible though.

After Millions had been 'tricked' into buying his first edition of 'Brief History of Time' he retracted what he wrote about and said it's all b o l l o c k s - conning Millions! B)

He's a classic Biblical 'contorted demon' tricking you, his co-writer is a high powered Jew and Hawking suffers from one of the main genetic 'plagues' that the Ashkenazi jews suffer from - which is fascinating (to me at any rate)

Jesus Christ is redeemer :)

Funnily enough I agree with that. Why not worship the Sun

Or Joe Pesci.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o

I do seem to remember, [as will those of you who got past page five....:blink:] In his Brief History of Time, on the last page, Hawking does state that he believes in a God, or a creator.

The dramatic (or was it mischievous?) ending of Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time, 'For then we should know the mind of God', is notoriously misconstrued. It has led people to believe, mistakenly of course, that Hawking is a religious man.

The God Delusion, Richard Dawkins

After Millions had been 'tricked' into buying his first edition of 'Brief History of Time' he retracted what he wrote about and said it's all b o l l o c k s - conning Millions! B)

Link?

I've not read any of his books but as stated above I thought that he had at some point referred to a creator ? His theory (and theory it is) from what I understand is that there are so many universes in existence that life happens by accident. I once again have not read any of Einstein's work but believe he became less sure of his atheism as he became old - Hawking appears to be going the other way or backwards - which incidentally is what he once believed about time (he changed his mind on that one).

At the end of the day,what the bleep do I know - I do think however that Hawking's does attention whore. I personally believe in life after death - energy can't be destroyed. God and heaven are just words or pointers - merely concepts. He is entitled to his opinion of course but what I object to from his stance (and atheism in general) is the superior intelligence position. Yes he's had a go on the Hubble telescope but that doesn't mean he knows all the answers and least of all it doesn't give him the right to belittle other peoples beliefs - people don't believe in life after death because they are afraid of dying - they believe because they feel connected to life,part of it.

Oprah & Eckhart - When We Die

Winter levels

decsolstfairweather-800px.gif

UK summer levels

solarUVBJune05Chart.gif

What I meant was that they cover up, don't go outside and slather on factor 30 sunscreen before any little exposure. Plenty of UVB incident. Very little gets the chance to create Vit D.

Steven Hawkings is a great scientist but he's not a theologian. We'd snigger if the Arch Bishop of Cantebury started claiming new discoveries in nuclear physics. I find Hawkings courting tabloid headlines a bit embarassing. If he continues in this line he is in danger of becoming a pop-scientist - if he's not already there.

Apparently A Brief History of Time is the second most unread book owned by people of all time.(guess the first ;))

I've read every chapter. ;)