House Price Crash Forum
rantnrave

Council Money To 'help' Ftbs?

What would you say...?

Just received a newsletter from two councillors in my area who, amongst numerous well-meaning deeds in the report, are patting themselves on the back for trying to use council money to buy newbuilds at a cheaper price to assist FTBs.

I'm planning to email them and voice my frustration as a priced-out FTB that money is being thrown at the Ponzi scheme and prices should not be propped up with council funds.

Any one else got any other comments / thoughts I could include?

What would you say...?

Just received a newsletter from two councillors in my area who, amongst numerous well-meaning deeds in the report, are patting themselves on the back for trying to use council money to buy newbuilds at a cheaper price to assist FTBs.

I'm planning to email them and voice my frustration as a priced-out FTB that money is being thrown at the Ponzi scheme and prices should not be propped up with council funds.

It isn't just that the market is being propped up. It is that money is taken from the wages of people who cannot afford houses, and spent on making those houses even more expensive.

This is a direct transfer from the poorest to the richest. In a world where your housing wealth determines your total wealth, this anti-progressive measure could not be better targeted.

Good that there is all this spare money floating about, you have no cuts in council services and the lowest council tax in UK.

This, dont get angry make them think or they will mark you as another nutter and bin your letter. Thank them for being able to see cut services so much they can have this spare cash, offer them other alternatives like new kids park etc and see what they say. The oust them when they shoe that they are hell bent on proping up the property market. A CC of the letter to one of the tabloids would be interesting

What would you say...?

What sort of newbuilds, anyway? If they're talking FTBs I bet it's overpriced poky flats, with a kitchen shoved at one end of the living room and no storage, that the builders can't flog anywhere else.

And far be it from me to suggest that when councillors are kindly offering to use other people's money to take newbuilds they can't sell elsewhere off a developer's hands, any brown envelopes might be involved. Heaven forfend!

What sort of newbuilds, anyway? If they're talking FTBs I bet it's overpriced poky flats, with a kitchen shoved at one end of the living room and no storage, that the builders can't flog anywhere else.

And far be it from me to suggest that when councillors are kindly offering to use other people's money to take newbuilds they can't sell elsewhere off a developer's hands, any brown envelopes might be involved. Heaven forfend!

I'd be looking for any family connections they might have in the building trade... care to share the constituency they are from?

I'd be looking for any family connections they might have in the building trade... care to share the constituency they are from?

I think I heard something like this was being pondered in Northampton

I wrote to my MP who forwarded my letter to Grant Schapps regarding this. I stated my strong opposition to this scheme and set out how detrimental it would be for the FTB Market.

His response was a letter saying the the solution to my issues was the above mentioned scheme! So my letter was not even read, I was just sent the usual standard response to frustrated ftbs.

I wrote to my MP who forwarded my letter to Grant Schapps regarding this. I stated my strong opposition to this scheme and set out how detrimental it would be for the FTB Market.

His response was a letter saying the the solution to my issues was the above mentioned scheme! So my letter was not even read, I was just sent the usual standard response to frustrated ftbs.

Same here.

Did you it mention looser lending as another cure?

It isn't just that the market is being propped up. It is that money is taken from the wages of people who cannot afford houses, and spent on making those houses even more expensive.

This is a direct transfer from the poorest to the richest. In a world where your housing wealth determines your total wealth, this anti-progressive measure could not be better targeted.

+1

They can do what ever they want to help the "other" FTBs but not with my FTB taxes, so as long as I get a discount in tax (to help myself as a FTB) I don't mind. Problem is, I won't get a tax discount, the opposite in fact...