House Price Crash Forum

Unbuntu - Quite Impressed

HOLA441

My laptop has suffered a hard drive failure, so whilst I await a replacement under the warranty I decided to have another play with Linux and decided to go with Unbuntu on a USB flash drive. I've ended up doing a full install on my 16gb flash stick and it's working fine. I have to say the 64bit version is very quick far more responsive than Win7.

I'm not contemplating once I've got the hard drive upgrading to a larger drive and running unbuntu alongside Win7.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

My laptop has suffered a hard drive failure, so whilst I await a replacement under the warranty I decided to have another play with Linux and decided to go with Unbuntu on a USB flash drive. I've ended up doing a full install on my 16gb flash stick and it's working fine. I have to say the 64bit version is very quick far more responsive than Win7.

I'm not contemplating once I've got the hard drive upgrading to a larger drive and running unbuntu alongside Win7.

Can you still download the ESX hypervisor for free from VMWare? Stick that on, then stick on Win7, Unbuntu, Ma OX, MS DOS 5.0, the Star Trek computer and Dave.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Is unbuntu another term for windows, like anti-christ for satan?

:lol:

Agree with OP though.. been using Ubuntu for a week now and it frickin rocks.. When the 3D desktop gets going with the 4 screens.. ACE!

IRripoff.. have you tried the hot keys yet?

If you have full graphical desktop running (with the side bar that pops out).. try jumping between desktops..

Ctrl+Alt+ Right arrow

Ctrl+Alt+ Down arrow etc...

Then the clever bit.. take any desktop with an active window

Shift + Ctrl+Alt+ Arrow key and the window jumps to the next desktop.. how cool is that!

HOLA4411

You could install Virtual Box and then run Window 7 as a guest OS, on top of Ubuntu. Perhaps consider a logical volume setup, which can be a really quick of cloning, backing up and deploying VM's.

Once its on your hard drive it will be even faster, as USB is pretty slow, specially the pen drives (in comparison to a hard drive).

HOLA4412

You could install Virtual Box and then run Window 7 as a guest OS.

Once its on your hard drive it will be even faster, as USB is pretty slow, specially the pen drives (in comparison to a hard drive).

The new Ubuntu also has an option to install it inside Windows..

I'm not sure exactly how it works.. but you install it in windows like any other program, then at start up it offers an option to dual boot as if it were an entirely independent operating system.

I can highly recommend it as a half way house for those who want the full benefits but are worried about slicing up their hard disk or adding something they can't get rid of..

HOLA4413

The new Ubuntu also has an option to install it inside Windows..

I'm not sure exactly how it works.. but you install it in windows like any other program, then at start up it offers an option to dual boot as if it were an entirely independent operating system.

I can highly recommend it as a half way house for those who want the full benefits but are worried about slicing up their hard disk or adding something they can't get rid of..

You have always been able to do that, but I think with Ubuntu there is something called Wubi, it installs Linux as a file on your Windows install.

HOLA4414

I have tried Linux a number of times and Ubuntu is very impressive, however there is always something you can't quite get working* and I eventually end up switching back to Windows.

There is nothing Linux does that Windows cannot so I have never really seen the point of a dual boot. It may well do somethings better but for me everything working 100% on Windows is far more useful that 95% of stuff working on Linux.

People talk about price but I have never paid a penny for an OS since MS Dos 5.0 in 1991**

* I'm a computer programmer so it's not for a lack of knowledge, normally it's hardware related.

** yes I know I pay for it somewhere but the cost of hardware for me has never been that different with MS or Linux installed.

HOLA4415

I have always used Windows because that was always the work environment standard (unless you are a graphic artist or something). People with Apple always had troubles linking in with Windows based systems, using Excel blah blah blah.

Had thought of changing but not really that happy with the way Jobs ties people in all the time whilst moaning over all those years about Gates and Microsoft. Strikes me as a bit of a Branson character like that.

In laws had an underpowered portable they'd been sold with Vista installed. They ditched computers altogether after that experience and gave the machine to my daughter. I proceeded to install Ubuntu on it and it worked fine. Except, the standard at school was......Windows and Microsoft. So rather than get her to fill her mind with all different stuff on Ubuntu, I ditched the underpowered PC and bought a new one. It was much, much better and had Windows 7 installed which is a major improvement on ealrier versions, particularly Vista.

Well, I never heard anyone say anything good about XP until Vista came along.:)

HOLA4416

Well, I never heard anyone say anything good about XP until Vista came along.:)

I think once the service packs came out for XP it became a robust system, although I didn't switch to XP until SP1 was released.

Never touched Vista, it's a piece of crap that should never have been released, it was a fudge job, Win7 is Vista fixed. Just upgraded a laptop at work to Win7 from Vista and it's far quicker.

I must admit on my main PC with 8gb of ram installed Unbuntu from the USB flash drive flys. Although as this PC has my TV card in I use for recording I need Win7, but I'm tempted to installed Unbuntu and then use virtual box for Windows and see what happens.

HOLA4417

I think once the service packs came out for XP it became a robust system, although I didn't switch to XP until SP1 was released.

Never touched Vista, it's a piece of crap that should never have been released, it was a fudge job, Win7 is Vista fixed. Just upgraded a laptop at work to Win7 from Vista and it's far quicker.

I must admit on my main PC with 8gb of ram installed Unbuntu from the USB flash drive flys. Although as this PC has my TV card in I use for recording I need Win7, but I'm tempted to installed Unbuntu and then use virtual box for Windows and see what happens.

Ubuntu works great with TV tuners, no problem, it's now incorporated into the kernel. Totally plug'n'play (if your card is supported, of course). I use Kaffeine on Kubuntu 11 with a cheap Pinnacle USB stick for TV and PVR. VLC also works, but the interface is a bit kludgy.

HOLA4418

Agree with OP though.. been using Ubuntu for a week now and it frickin rocks.. When the 3D desktop gets going with the 4 screens.. ACE!

If you have full graphical desktop running (with the side bar that pops out).. try jumping between desktops..

Ctrl+Alt+ Right arrow

Shift + Ctrl+Alt+ Arrow key and the window jumps to the next desktop.. how cool is that!

I have now, that's quite cool. The ribbon down the side does seem like a mac from the few times I've seen the latest Mac OS.

HOLA4419

I'm just using it for surfing, so speed isn't a real issue. However I am very impressed at the speed even on a pen drive, although I had bought a high speed SD card to run it from. Unfortunately it appears I've been thwarted with that idea as the laptop doesn't support booting from the inbuilt SD drive!! After getting the bios update from the laptops tech support I can now boot straight to my pen drive without the need for plop boot manager. The only way I can boot to the SD card it to use my USB multi card reader. However I'd decided to buy a smaller SD usb adapter to see what it's like with that. I'm tempted to buy 16gb SD card to run Linux from as I'm happy with the speed the USB flash drive gives.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Ctrl+Alt+ Right arrow

Never been able to get 3D desktop working on my netbook. Got Compiz and Unity installed (latest version apparently), but just looks like the standard Gnome desktop to me. Not a clue how to get it started, or even if my (limited) hardware will support it.

Start to Google and it turns into Linux hell. All the seem to do on the Ubuntu Forums is grumble about people posting in the wrong section, rather than answering the damn question!

HOLA4423

Never been able to get 3D desktop working on my netbook. Got Compiz and Unity installed (latest version apparently), but just looks like the standard Gnome desktop to me. Not a clue how to get it started, or even if my (limited) hardware will support it.

Start to Google and it turns into Linux hell. All the seem to do on the Ubuntu Forums is grumble about people posting in the wrong section, rather than answering the damn question!

Sorry I think you need to post that on a Linux forum. :P

HOLA4424

Ubuntu works great with TV tuners, no problem, it's now incorporated into the kernel. Totally plug'n'play (if your card is supported, of course). I use Kaffeine on Kubuntu 11 with a cheap Pinnacle USB stick for TV and PVR. VLC also works, but the interface is a bit kludgy.

Only trouble is I turn what I've recorded into a avi file using HDTVtoMPEG2, project x, TMPGEnc as mpeg muxer, Gordian Knot

Does Linux have anything similar?

HOLA4425

I just opened a terminal window and typed (well, 'cut-and-pasted' actually):

.. and it worked fine. I got this info from here:

.../...

thanks durch, i will give your suggestions a try later

i have installed a lot of various java components but whenever i try a 'live' price chart that uses java, it never works

when you have the time, could you please try this to see if the chart comes up, thanks

i will report back, when i have tried your suggestions

Archived