House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shipbuilder

Are We Missing A Vocation?

I only heard a snatch of the show, but something about this rang true for me today -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01130tf

From Father Christopher Jamison - Benedictine Monk:

"Everybody has a vocation in life, even if they’re unaware of it. Yesterday was what churches throughout the world call Vocations Sunday, when Christians are encouraged to consider what their calling in life is. It’s not just nurses and teachers or priests and nuns who have a vocation. The person working in a shop or an office, the boss or the banker, all of these too are possible vocations. By that I mean that their work has the potential to be more than a means of earning a living. Work of all kinds creates connections with other people and these connections can be generous or they can be selfish. If we choose to make our work a series of generous actions towards others, then our work is vocational.

For example, one of the things that went wrong with the banking industry was that investment bankers didn’t see their work as a vocation; many saw it solely as a way of getting rich, with no thought about the impact of their actions on others. After the crash in 2008, they claimed that the regulations allowed them to do these things. So banks clearly need structural reforms, but we also need reformed bankers, people with a sense of banking as a service to society; otherwise we’ll soon be right back where we were.

A sense of vocation in our work gives each day a wonderful sense of being special, even when we feel under the weather. I know many people who struggle into work when they’re ill because they don’t want to let down colleagues or disappoint the people they serve. That’s a sense of vocation. And even among people facing the tragedy of unemployment, many do voluntary work, determined to make themselves useful. Thank God for that inspiring sense of vocation in work, which is such a vital part of a healthy society."

The idea that we structure a society around the alleged exclusive self-interest of humans, as most economic theory does, excusing and encouraging the worst of behaviours because they're 'good for the economy' has always seemed a simplistic and hollow concept to me.

I only heard a snatch of the show, but something about this rang true for me today -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01130tf

The idea that we structure a society around the alleged exclusive self-interest of humans, as most economic theory does, excusing and encouraging the worst of behaviours because they're 'good for the economy' has always seemed a simplistic and hollow concept to me.

Yes, but the bankers and those who admire them, i.e. certain media types, can't see that.

I believe we are all on a journey, that we are spiritual beings who have always existed, that we are now having a Human existence and that we came here to learn life lessons.

Those life lessons can be one or many things - mercy, forgiveness, rejection, hurt, anger, lust, greed, envy, humility. You get the idea.

I don't know whether we can learn all the lessons in one lifetime, or whether we keep coming back until we have learnt them all. I have many failings but I suspect that failings are different to yours as are every ones.

Holding these bankers up to be heroes, worshipping their greed can be just as much as a lesson to learn as those who are bankers.

It is bankers at the moment, but it is also reality 'stars' and soap-opera celebs. Prior to that it has been pop stars and Hollywood actors. Theatre actors a 100 years ago and 2,000 years ago it was gladiators.