House Price Crash Forum
The Preacherman

A Grand Design Brought Back Down To Earth

Black Sheep House: a Grand Design brought back down to earth

When Black Sheep House featured on the popular architectural programme it was a case of triumph over adversity. Now it is on the market for a fraction of the rebuilding price

Black Sheep House on the Island of Harris won the Grand Designs home of the year in 2008. Kevin McCloud said what he loved about it was that it was almost as if the owners had gone up the mountain, collected bits of it and brought them back down and built their house out of them.

Irregular shaped stone walls are topped with a flower strewn turf roof; inside, the one-and-a-half-storey kitchen and living space have a venerable feel, the bay windows offering heavenly views over the Hebridean mountains and shoreline.

Winning the popular television competition was a high point for self-builders Christine and Pete Hope – but it hasn't been a passport to capital gain. The unique two-bed house is on the market for offers in excess of £225,000 – just £50,000 more than the amount it originally cost to build, and about half the current rebuilding cost of £440,000.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/blog/2011/may/16/black-sheep-house-grand-designs

Say no more

Winning the popular television competition was a high point for self-builders Christine and Pete Hope – but it hasn't been a passport to capital gain. The unique two-bed house is on the market for offers in excess of £225,000 – just £50,000 more than the amount it originally cost to build, and about half the current rebuilding cost of £440,000

So cost inflation of 100% in a few years.

Is there something the Office for Nobbled Statistics and Bankrupt of England are hiding? Edited by OnlyMe

Say no more

Whoever sold these mugs a sheep shed for more than £200,000 will be chuckling to his grave.

Say no more

It says more about Guru McClouds' 'judgement' than anything else! :rolleyes:

Winning the popular television competition was a high point for self-builders Christine and Pete Hope – but it hasn't been a passport to capital gain. The unique two-bed house is on the market for offers in excess of £225,000 – just £50,000 more than the amount it originally cost to build, and about half the current rebuilding cost of £440,000

Is there something the Office for Nobbled Statistics and Bankrupt of England are hiding?

That's what I thought. £175,000 build cost in 2007 and £440,000 build cost in 2011!? WTF? Maybe it was made of silver?

That's what I thought. £175,000 build cost in 2007 and £440,000 build cost in 2011!? WTF? Maybe it was made of silver?

I think its because he worked for free (so to speak) and if you had to pay someone else to buld that sort of thing it that sort of place, that would be your labour costs

Looks like a visitor centre.

Black-Sheep-House-a-Grand-006.jpg

Looks like a celtic burial chamber!

You could build something similar quite cheaply, concrete structure with stone facing on the walls, type of building they do all the time in ski resorts. Then astroturf for a waterproof roof.

Looks like a pill box!

type27fordhamheath1.jpg

And on purpose. These things were made that way for insulation purposes. That's why today you only put sheep in them.

Or fools with too much borrowing ability.

I think its because he worked for free (so to speak) and if you had to pay someone else to buld that sort of thing it that sort of place, that would be your labour costs

I see, that makes sense.

Is there something the Office for Nobbled Statistics and Bankrupt of England are hiding?

Quite. I know rge BoE lie about inflation, but this sounds simply loopy.

I liked it them and I still like it now - from what I remember it had views to die for...

This is what Grand Designs should be about - nice workable homes, not grand palaces costing half a million plus.

Shame they couldn't make it work financially

Andy

Looks like a pill box!

type27fordhamheath1.jpg

Tweedle dumb + Tweedle Dee :rolleyes:

Templarsign.jpg

It must get a bit lonely.

There's a reason why Scotland is the least populated part of Europe.

And those short, grey, wet days must drive one to suicide - surely?

People join cults in search of emotional and spiritual understanding. Wanting to belong to a group and the search for spiritual or religious enlightenment are natural human desires.

However, not all cults are what they seem, and you may have found yourself in a difficult, uncomfortable or even dangerous situation. Cult leaders may tell you that once you are in, you are in for life, but you can leave. :)

http://www.ehow.com/how_2096224_leave-cult.html

Totally gob smacking view from the mahoosive windows. I could die there quite happily.

'mahoosive'.

Like it.

It'd be more Stornaway black pudding and venison than salade niçoise or pissaladiere though ;)

Sounds good.

Lucky them.

Scotland, not Manchester.

edit to get the quoting right

Edited by Riedquat

Interesting that so many GD projects are currently for sale - I recently did a piece listing ten on the market (not including this latest one).

Have they all run into financial difficulty post credit crunch, i wonder? A lot of them seem to over-stretch to build:

More here:

Grand Designs for sale

Grand Designs. Grand Egos to go with them.

All happily financed in large part with easy money from the banks.

The boom is over. Now they are discovering that no-one else can afford to buy / give them a profit a banker would be proud of ;)