House Price Crash Forum
Britney's Piers

Mcdonalds Replacing Humans With Terminals

McDonald’s is about to revolutionize the way customers order meals in its restaurants by introducing touchscreen terminals and swipe cards, replacing cashiers and the use of banknotes at its 7,000 fast-food restaurants in Europe reports the FT.

Fast food ordering has been pretty much the same for the past 30 to 40 years. McDonald’s first major effort to shake things up aims to attract time conscious and cash-strapped customers by making its restaurants more convenient and user-friendly.

Serving more than 2 million customers a day all over the country, Steve Easterbrook, president of McDonald’s Europe, said that the changes would make life easier for consumers as well as improve efficiency, with average transactions three to four seconds shorter for each customer. Additionally, the new technology would allow McDonald’s to gather more information about customers’ ordering habits.

There are, however, people who are less than enthusiastic about the initiative. A 21-year-old was quoted saying: “I’m looking for work and if there’s more machines doing jobs I’ll find it harder. Plus you won’t get service with a smile.”

http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2011/05/16/mcdonald%E2%80%99s-to-shake-up-food-ordering-system-with-touchscreen-terminals-and-swipe-cards/

The future of the "service" sector.

:unsure:

Edited by Britney's Piers

There are, however, people who are less than enthusiastic about the initiative. A 21-year-old was quoted saying: “I’m looking for work and if there’s more machines doing jobs I’ll find it harder. Plus you won’t get service with a smile.”

I want a cheeseburger, not a date!

There's a KFC at the Oxford service station on the M40 that's had a self service order point for at least 3 years. You still need people to fry up the rat meat and serve it to the customers so it wouldn't replace all the staff in a fast food place.

Went to Amsterdam years ago - they had those funny little self service heated food snack shops - looked like a cross between a bank vault and a vending machine on a grand scale - put your money in and open the galss door to take the snack of your choice, which looked different (ish) but tasted pretty much the same.

Surprised it has taken them this long to take that step - very small number of sales lines and large throughput - far easier than a supermarket system.

with average transactions three to four seconds shorter for each customer

really, are peoples lifes so full that they need to save 3-4 seconds on ordering overpriced processed food?

http://thenextweb.co...nd-swipe-cards/

The future of the "service" sector.

:unsure:

I've seen these in European McDonalds for 4 years, it may have been longer. It's very fast, very easy to use and you don't have to queue.

That piece is a bit out of date I think.

Not that I ever go to McDonalds, it's just something I heard...

really, are peoples lifes so full that they need to save 3-4 seconds on ordering overpriced processed food?

I feel strange being devil's advocate on this point, but when I go to a McDonalds it's because I don't have time to eat. 3-4 seconds in these instances are something I don't have. And 3-4 seconds queuing feel more like 30 minutes to me.

Edited by _w_

I feel strange being devil's advocate on this point, but when I go to a McDonalds it's because I don't have time to eat. 3-4 seconds in these instances are something I don't have. And 3-4 seconds queuing feel more like 30 minutes to me.

I don't think they are saving the time for the customers benefit.

do you eat it as fast as you can too in a mad panic

This is rubbish. I wanted my children to start out in McD's or similar like I had to. Seriously! You learn a lot of life skills in places like this. One of which is to pull your finger out so you don't end up spending the rest of your days flipping buns.

There's a KFC at the Oxford service station on the M40 that's had a self service order point for at least 3 years. You still need people to fry up the rat meat and serve it to the customers so it wouldn't replace all the staff in a fast food place.

Not so, in Burger King they use microwave ovens to re-heat everything. It is why you see so many one person operations all over the place. It is not a massive imaginative step to consider that they may just alter the forumlation of their stuff to be microwavable and thus robots can do it.

I don't think they are saving the time for the customers benefit.

I know they're not, which is why I think this automation process is unstoppable, the numbers are too compelling.

I know they're not, which is why I think this automation process is unstoppable, the numbers are too compelling.

There's really nothing wrong with automation.

do you eat it as fast as you can too in a mad panic

What would you do if you didn't have time to eat?

I find it more satisfying to be back home in the evening than to take my time eating meals in a foreign city. It's a question of priorities.

There's really nothing wrong with automation.

It's devastating to the job market. We haven't seen the end of this yet, there is much more to come.

What would you do if you didn't have time to eat?

I find it more satisfying to be back home in the evening than to take my time eating meals in a foreign city. It's a question of priorities.

id stuff it in in a mad panic like you do