House Price Crash Forum

Was planning to give a really nice gift of a few sovereigns as a major birthday gift to a family member later this year.

The OH has now stated that a jangly brown envelope of sovereigns is not a good gift - it needs to look nice as well as be worth lots.

Have been looking for a nice gift box worth a few sovs, any ideas? I hate surfing dealer websites / eBay for what I see to be overpriced tat (compared to plain bullion).

£1k is where I am budgeting, perhaps slightly more if it is nice. I'm not paying extra for expensive wooden boxes though.

Weighton sell CSG graded sovs in plastic blister packs for £236 each.

Their standard sovs come in small white window envelopes.

Just buy her this

http://www.weightoncoin.co.uk/coins/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=31

And buy one of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LUXURY-VELVET-RING-JEWELLERY-PRESENTATION-BOX-CASE-/300556277260?pt=UK_Jewellery_Watches_JewelleryBoxes_Supplies_CA&hash=item45fa8cd60c

LOL.

I was looking at little wooden boxes that are designed to store £1 coins as they are similar sized to sovereigns. If I can find a decent little box I can just put a few sovereigns in it, done and dusted!

Was planning to give a really nice gift of a few sovereigns as a major birthday gift to a family member later this year.

The OH has now stated that a jangly brown envelope of sovereigns is not a good gift - it needs to look nice as well as be worth lots.

Have been looking for a nice gift box worth a few sovs, any ideas? I hate surfing dealer websites / eBay for what I see to be overpriced tat (compared to plain bullion).

£1k is where I am budgeting, perhaps slightly more if it is nice. I'm not paying extra for expensive wooden boxes though.

If she's 18 or 21 I'd think about something more 'Tiffany'.

If he's 18 or 21 I'd think about something more 'Aston Martin round Silvestone'y etc etc.

Having been down this route, believe me, give what they would like rather than what you would think they ought to like.

When their friends ask - what did Dad get you? They don't want to reply 'couple of coins in a box'. Seriously.

Having been down this route, believe me, give what they would like rather than what you would think they ought to like.

Hmmmm. That much is true. The worst case would be for them to stick on eBay for peanuts so they can buy the latest iPad or PS2 game.

Hmmmm. That much is true. The worst case would be for them to stick on eBay for peanuts so they can buy the latest iPad or PS2 game.

Don't say that, I've had some good unwanted Gold gifts off eBay in the past :P

Today, if you wanted to gift me a bunch of Sovs you could present them on a pile of vomit and I'd be happy. :D

However, if we jumped in a time machine and went back to give them to me as a 21st birthday present i'd have probably been an ungrateful sod and wondered "what's all this 5h1t ?" no matter how fancy the box.

Buy the person a present that would be more appreciated, but if you love 'em that much, get a single Sov and stick it inside a copy of "The Creature from Jeckyll Island" (by G Edward Griffin), give 'em that and let them figure the rest out for themselves.

Edited by Spot

it may be a good thing to present them with a certificate to a storage box (or a trust) which they can open in around 5-10 years time where they will find the coins(assuming age of 18-21). Surely by then they would (hopefully) know the value of money. And it will help them on the ladder of the ....

In the meantime the certificate can come with as stated above a circuit on silverstone (up to 200) or spa, photoshoot, makeover experience to remember.

PS3

I'm 22, and would be made up if I was given a sov as a gift.

Though saying that 99% of my similarly aged friends and classmates etc wouldn't know the difference between one and a lustrous penny to be honest.

Silver Sov holders (victorian) are nice.

+1

get an antique sov case, they come in brass but silver are nicer and the best way imo to present sovs.

or a double sov holder and 2 double sovs if you want to spend the full £1k.

Failing that, if the gift can be worn then a half sov bracelet or double sov necklace?

Ahhh sod it I think I'll just buy a holiday in Ibiza and some condoms, be much easier.

could get him a kilo bar of silver - that wouldnt need any fancy presentation and would be a talking point that he could have out.

Are you the uncle? a cool uncle that gave him a big fat bar of metal :)

Edited by Number79

could get him a kilo bar of silver - that wouldnt need any fancy presentation and would be a talking point that he could have out.

Cooler still would be to put the kilo bar on a chain, for some proper bling bling..... :lol:

Nah, a kilo of coke and then you'd be the cool uncle ;)