House Price Crash Forum
Kokeshi

Interesting Conversation In The Pub

Went out last night in the town where we live. Bumped into the wife of an old friend, haven't seen her for a while, she used to work as an EA before their baby was born but didn't realise she'd gone back to work.

Asked us if we'd found an house yet to which we replied we hadn't. Then asked us about the Victorian property that's for sale in the centre of town as that was one of 'her' properties.

Cue me looking incredulous.

"we put an offer in about 3 months ago" was the reply

Cue her looking incredulous.

"does the offer still stand as they're desperate"

Told her how much we'd offered, told her what we'd been told as to why the offer was nowhere near what they were looking for, she had no idea that there'd been an offer in recent times. She started working there maybe a fortnight after the offer was put in.

She going to look into it tomorrow.

I'm was doubting whether the offer was ever put forward anyway but even more so now which is going to put her in a rather awkward situation.

.I'm was doubting whether the offer was ever put forward anyway but even more so now which is going to put her in a rather awkward situation.

Ahem ... an EA is obliged by law to forward all offers to the vendor.

Did you get any idea re your offer and the current asking price from your EA friend? Is the asking price now more, the same or less than 3 months ago?

She said our offer seemed very fair considering the length of time it's been for sale. It has been with this agent since March last year at 575K originally, price was reduced last September to 550K. However it was for sale with a different agent at 549K for 18 months prior to switching to this agent with a 6 month gap in between. Justification for the price rise was that they had 2 offers over the asking price but they fell through. :rolleyes:

Of course she hasn't seen the property so has no idea that it also needs a fair bit of work.

We were told that they'd turned down an offer of 535K just before Christmas so maybe they do have instructions not to pass on low offers, ours was 475K but I still find it amazing that she isn't aware of offers they've received especially as it's one of her properties.

I'm still very interested in this house but with the drops that other properties have had in the last few weeks, my offer of 475K will most definitely no longer stand. I'd been watching a very similar property which is sadly in the wrong high school catchment area for us but is actually in a nicer area that had come down from 625K to 500K and has just accepted an offer of 430K. Another friend of ours has also just had an offer accepted on a barn conversion with stables and land, on at 485K, offer accepted at 389K.