House Price Crash Forum

The Street That Cut Everything

HOLA441

Good point....... (though to be fair, they would suffer the effects of the businesses not being policed by environmental and trading standards officers).

One of the few public sector workers I know who has been made redundant was in trading standards. The govt continued the funding but removed the ringfence - allowing the council to spend the money however it saw fit. All of a sudden they didnt see a need for quite so many trading standards officers.

It always amazed me that part of his job was to patrol sunday car boots and markets to identify people selling fake and counterfeit goods.

I struggled with the following premise:

If a housewife wants to buy a Prada handbag for £3 so she can feel special when she goes out binge drinking with her friends, why should the council police this activity? The housewife is under no illusion that the handbag is the genuine article, and for £3 can give herself a little ego boost / emotional crutch that many weak people need.

Why do we as taxpayers fund a sytem of policing that protects the brand integrity? I know the council dont do anything that protects my employer, so why should they protect the profits of huge corporations who sell overpriced bumf that was probably made in the same sweatshop as the 'fake'.

Edited by Caveat Mortgagor

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

No wonder so many of you are so bitter on this site. It sounds like you most of you live in really ghastly parts of Britain with feral children running around.

I guess I might turn crazy, right wing as well if I lived under those circumstances!

HOLA443

No wonder so many of you are so bitter on this site. It sounds like you most of you live in really ghastly parts of Britain with feral children running around.

I guess I might turn crazy, right wing as well if I lived under those circumstances!

Well, you are halfway there.

HOLA444

Only 10 minutes in and I'm already annoyed

They have decided to fly tip a load of rubbish over their road!! In other words they are trying to make life difficult and cause arguments between the residents to prove the local council's worth.

Why not just let them get on with it instead of manipulating this 'typical british street'

I hate the BBC

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Watching this now. Is this the fattest street in Britain? tongue.gif

I hate the way they fly tipped all that rubbish on the street to provoke problems in this 'typical street'

Now they are putting graffiti on the street

Why dont they just leave them alone and let them live their ordinary lives??

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Bias isn't the issue. Its the morons living in the street. All they have to do wis organise effectively, do some research and they'd easily overcome the problems they've faced so far.

Edit: Ahhh! Now they've totally moved the goalposts and are expecting them to go round and clean up the city.

Edited by SpewLabour

HOLA4411

Bias isn't the issue. Its the morons living in the street. All they have to do is organise effectively, do some research and they'd easily overcome the problems they've faced so far.

The fact of the matter is that if this was for real then private companies would be offering to do the work and much more competitively priced through competition. These companies would also need to employ local people to do the work.

Its a win/win

HOLA4412

I hate the way they fly tipped all that rubbish on the street to provoke problems in this 'typical street'

Now they are putting graffiti on the street

Why dont they just leave them alone and let them live their ordinary lives??

Thats what I thought. Silly.

Can't quite get over people storing their rubbish in the front room! unsure.gif

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

This just gets worse...

Hired louts to annoy the locals. What a crock of shit this program is.

This is the equivalent of them moving a load of immigrants into the street to try and prove that there's an immigration problem - what a joke

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I can't watch any more. The last section where they're now expected to pay for everything, police, fire, housing benefits etc just on council tax.... surprise surprise they don't have enough money! Just looked up my own councils budget - council tax is 14% of the councils income. Perhaps of they gave them the REAL budget, but then that wouldn't make good TV, would it. :angry:

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

that really boiled my piss. Like the council or police would do anything in that situation.

Yes they would. A control room operator would be required to answer the phone. Said operator would be ensconced in a state of the art communications centre. Said operative would consult the procedures and referrals manual to determine how to proceed. The call would the be handed off to another operator to determine whether police involvement were appropriate. Having determined that there were no assets in the area a third handoff to the psco may occur. All of the above would obviously require health and safety, diversity and environmental management. The cost of which is significant.

Then and only then would nothing happen.

HOLA4420

Thats what I thought. Silly.

Can't quite get over people storing their rubbish in the front room! unsure.gif

Yeah, thought it was just me! Can't bear to part with the stuff personally, it's the smell - it becomes almost a part of you. Glad I'm not the only one :P

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Yes they would. A control room operator would be required to answer the phone. Said operator would be ensconced in a state of the art communications centre. Said operative would consult the procedures and referrals manual to determine how to proceed. The call would the be handed off to another operator to determine whether police involvement were appropriate. Having determined that there were no assets in the area a third handoff to the psco may occur. All of the above would obviously require health and safety, diversity and environmental management. The cost of which is significant.

Then and only then would nothing happen.

HOLA4423

I can't watch any more. The last section where they're now expected to pay for everything, police, fire, housing benefits etc just on council tax.... surprise surprise they don't have enough money! Just looked up my own councils budget - council tax is 14% of the councils income. Perhaps of they gave them the REAL budget, but then that wouldn't make good TV, would it. :angry:

Its just a silly programme, and also they have humiliated the woman on benefits. She doesn't have to justify herself or beg to her neighbours.

Also Rick Nobinson should pitch up with the rest of the money from business tax and central government.

As for the louts, just threaten a breach of the peace, and that usually gets the Police out.

I don't know why people took part in this. Must have been selected on the basis of being the stupidest street in the UK. If the BBC came knocking on my door, I'd tell them to shove it.

HOLA4424

Its just a silly programme, and also they have humiliated the woman on benefits. She doesn't have to justify herself or beg to her neighbours.

isnt that the point. its raising the issue of how people are subsidised too.

the programme is highlighting issues e.g the fact that some people are reluctant to pay to subsidise other people.

some people would prefer to keep their own money.

a few residents raised the point of perhaps instead of free meals they should take a sandwich in every day.

another issue you could deduce - if she wasnt subsidised, would she try harder to make up the shortfall?

or maybe she does need help and the subsidy is justified.

Edited by mfp123

HOLA4425