House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Is Anyone Else Thinking Of Moving.... Inside The Uk?

I hope this will not become one of those 'everything is greener everywhere else on the planet' threads, but I was just wondering how many people are currently thinking about relocating within the UK re house prices, jobs and the general economy?

Are people now re-thinking their house buying in their current locale, as change of work or need to find new work means they will now have to move elsewhere?

Or are people in expensive parts, i.e. London, thinking of getting out of London & South East due to the high cost of housing?

Just get the impression that it is a chicken and egg kind of situation with people having to find a job first if they wish to move out of the South East, but those looking to move to London and the South East may not be able to afford housing?

I was thinking about this as some friends have been offered quite good paying jobs in London, but the additional costs of renting and buying in London, even ona massive 50K salary, means it is just not worthwhile them taking the work.

Nuts really.

I guess it depends on the price differential between the to regions. If you have a 50k job offer in London, it might be worth living out of London and getting the train in, or living in a shared house paying 600 quid+ a month for a room... but if your earning 30k in wales and you live in a house you probably think its not worth the hastle, but if your on 35k in oxford in a tiny flat you might think about it. I guess it depends on your currently quality of life, and what level you will tolerate...

We may be moving at some point in the next year or two to a slightly more expensive area to be closer to work, the business is doing well and growing but not sure what we will do, (perhaps rent this place out, as I have now paid off a bigish chunk of the mortgage and perhaps buy a flat to live in the new place), but undecided, depends on what happens when we come to the end of this fix...

Edited by AteMoose

I suppose people could move from a more expensive area to a cheaper area in order to retire. But I agree with you that the incomes in London etc generally are not enough to compensate me to move there.

Thing is though, for that "well paid" 50k a year job, will you be expected to put 50/60 hour weeks in? Is the longer hours culture more prevalent in London / SE or is it just the same UK wide?

I hope this will not become one of those 'everything is greener everywhere else on the planet' threads, but I was just wondering how many people are currently thinking about relocating within the UK re house prices, jobs and the general economy?

Are people now re-thinking their house buying in their current locale, as change of work or need to find new work means they will now have to move elsewhere?

Or are people in expensive parts, i.e. London, thinking of getting out of London & South East due to the high cost of housing?

Just get the impression that it is a chicken and egg kind of situation with people having to find a job first if they wish to move out of the South East, but those looking to move to London and the South East may not be able to afford housing?

I was thinking about this as some friends have been offered quite good paying jobs in London, but the additional costs of renting and buying in London, even ona massive 50K salary, means it is just not worthwhile them taking the work.

Nuts really.

Born and lived/worked in London all my life, do not see much point moving anywhere else in the UK really, especially in regard to work. The type of IT work myself/the wife are involved in is just not in demand anywhere else in the UK, so opportunities are limited. Also most my family/friends are here. We do Love going elsewhere in the UK for holiday to get away but I do find it hard to understand how people afford living in other areas with choice of local employment/opportunities compared to living/accommodation costs. I enjoy going to Winchester where I have some family but the prices there are crazy, it seems most young people have to work in London to pay to live there which is insane.

Also, as sad as it is, I wouldn't call 50k a massive Salary in London, more entry level and sadly does not get you allot here. It is a sad state of affairs but i really don't see anything changing soon here :(

Born and lived/worked in London all my life, do not see much point moving anywhere else in the UK really, especially in regard to work. The type of IT work myself/the wife are involved in is just not in demand anywhere else in the UK, so opportunities are limited. Also most my family/friends are here. We do Love going elsewhere in the UK for holiday to get away but I do find it hard to understand how people afford living in other areas with choice of local employment/opportunities compared to living/accommodation costs. I enjoy going to Winchester where I have some family but the prices there are crazy, it seems most young people have to work in London to pay to live there which is insane.

Also, as sad as it is, I wouldn't call 50k a massive Salary in London, more entry level and sadly does not get you allot here. It is a sad state of affairs but i really don't see anything changing soon here :(

I used 50K as 40K to 50K seems to be the benchmark for permie IT jobs advertised in London. For many people in London, 50K would be a huge salary.

What do you consider a good salary in London?

I used 50K as 40K to 50K seems to be the benchmark for permie IT jobs advertised in London. For many people in London, 50K would be a huge salary.

...£30k to £35k imo is a good salary in London...my 1ps worth. ;)

I do consider that money good, im sure most would - just saying its not allot relatively to cost of living here now which is sad really. Anywhere else would be very good im sure.

I wouldn't move to London for that kind of money, unless I was a single person (and could live in a more questionable area of London). I know that sounds a fortune. But unless you want to spend half your life commuting in and out of the city (because housing is MUCH cheaper outside London), you can expect to be spending at least 70% of your take home pay (on 50K) on rent.

FWIW, my family and I are moving back up to Edinburgh because we know we will never be able to buy something in London. My husband earns considerably more than 50K, but we still cannot afford London. We are fortunate where he has a job which allows us to live anywhere in Britain.

I do consider that money good, im sure most would - just saying its not allot relatively to cost of living here now which is sad really. Anywhere else would be very good im sure.

That's not good money really. For perspective I have an friend who is an aerospace engineer working in the Middle East and earning multiples of the figures mentioned so far. Tax free. Housing and international school for the kids thrown in.

That's not good money really. For perspective I have an friend who is an aerospace engineer working in the Middle East and earning multiples of the figures mentioned so far. Tax free. Housing and international school for the kids thrown in.

Exactly, myself and the wife earn very much in excess of that amount and so is comfortable living in London, but if I was younger and just entering employment and moving to London to work for that amount mentioned it would not go far.

I'm currently on 50k working in IT as a permie in the city. I'll very likely be moving up north end of October this year to take a long sabbatical since rents and prices in London are rediculous and I'm sick of being ripped off.

Exactly, myself and the wife earn very much in excess of that amount and so is comfortable living in London, but if I was younger and just entering employment and moving to London to work for that amount mentioned it would not go far.

mulitiples of 50k? in IT?

can i ask what you do in IT? ie trade support/dev?

So no one has decided to up sticks and rellocate within the UK?

Yes the houses I've looked at, two families are welsh and are moving back to Wales from the Hampshire area.

One couple; kids have left so they have no reason to stay as their other relatives are over there. They look like they are in their 40s.

Don't know the reason for the other family, but they are going into rented.

Yes, exactly this. Been having this conversation since just yesterday in fact. No actual job prospects as yet, but will possibly move back up north (born and lived most of life in London/Brighton, lived 5 yrs in Yorkshire and wife from there).

Not sure if it's a good idea or not! :P

For a couple of years now my work has been split between Germany and working from home in the Midlands. The travel sucks but the work is interesting, and it has given me the chance to live anywhere in the UK (or even anywhere in Europe). On more than one occasion I have taken out a UK road atlas and tried to figure out where I would most enjoy living, but I always draw a blank. The sad truth is that it is only work that would take me somewhere specfic in the UK, as nowhere seems to offer anything worth moving for.

If I do ever upsticks it would be to head back to family in North Yorks, or one of the great places that mainland Europe has to offer... thinking Munich, Bern, etc.

Edited by ScrewsNutsandBolts

So no one has decided to up sticks and rellocate within the UK?

I have a plan but it is moving in the opposite direction to many. I am in the SE and hope to move away from the city and slog to the SW.

We couldnt do it on our own without having to find work which would likely be a struggle but intend to pool our resources with the inlaws and buy a place with holiday cottages on it and a lake etc. The will retire, although father in law can run his business from a computer, and we will run the place as a business.

I think that there is a lot to be said for pooling resources and thinking family in this day and age. Buying land and keeping it in the family is what has kept the rich that way for centuries. The in laws will have no worries and be looked after as they get older - likewise we will have something to pass on and hopefully be looked after just as well.

I think the reality is that people tend to stick with the type of area they grew up with. It's very hard to adapt to a more rural or more urban area. Relocating is not a big deal imo. Good people find good work. And pay rates are usually relative to living costs locally.

I've considered moving to Lancashire from greater London. It's an attractive idea in many ways, despite the inevitable pay cut. But I'm not sure I could handle being away from that s***hole we call London. Most people need a decent city to visit now and again. Otherwise you can feel cut off.

Anyway for me it's no longer an issue. I'm emigrating, as I have mentioned.

I am sat writing this in Melbourne whilst waiting for Mrs and kids as we are on our way home after exploring Australia inc Tasmania as possible place to bring up the kids.

After all our travels we have come to the conclusion that we are probably going to swap our suburban coastal North East location for 60 miles away or so down in N Yorks where we can put kids in village scool, have some land for hobby farming and have a greater sense of community. I would also be nearer a new full time job I am starting but after being self employed for a while I am not basing everything on reducing my commute. Another factor is that we are probably going to sell our house up here ASAP and rent down there for 2-3 years whilst the market plummets and we get an idea where we want to be for next 10+ years.

I might also try for an Oz visa so we have options if the SHTF in UK but after being in Oz they are sooo in a property bubble it's scary and I think we would miss the English things as well as friends and some family too much.

Oh and I wouldn't want to live in or near London for 100K or more - hate the place.

Going for a job in Northamptonshire this week. They have agreed I will be able to work from home in London in principle, and travel up for meetings. My circumstances currently would make relocation from London difficult, but this job would open up some possibilities :)

Half the jobs I have been up for have been a reverse commute out of London!

If I could I would return to Cumbria and wouldn't be unhappy if I never set foot outside it again, but from a practical point of view I've no intention of moving (from Stockport). I might have to move (reluctant landlord trying to sell, although I can't see him getting much interest at what he thinks it's worth), but it'll still be within the same area. The job doesn't look threatened, and I can't think of an alternative one I'd rather do even though I don't like my current one much.

I think the reality is that people tend to stick with the type of area they grew up with. It's very hard to adapt to a more rural or more urban area. Relocating is not a big deal imo. Good people find good work. And pay rates are usually relative to living costs locally.

I've considered moving to Lancashire from greater London. It's an attractive idea in many ways, despite the inevitable pay cut. But I'm not sure I could handle being away from that s***hole we call London. Most people need a decent city to visit now and again. Otherwise you can feel cut off.

Anyway for me it's no longer an issue. I'm emigrating, as I have mentioned.

...lived in London all my life..up sticks last year, no regrets....funny thing is many of the new people I have met used to live in London, so feel at home in a funny sort of way......London is not far away, but so glad to get away after vising....never thought I would say that. ;)

Edited by winkie