House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Sd Card Boot Loader From Cd-Rom Drive

Is there a boot loader I can use with a CD-Rom drive to boot an internal SD card?

My HDD needs to be replaced under warranty but they are happy for me to remove the drive and send it off to them meaning I can still use the laptop. Bought an SD card in hoping if I installed Unbuntu it would boot, however it appears the bios doesn't like booting from a either a USB flash drive or a SD-Card. I've got the USB flash drive booting and working by using http://www.plop.at/en/bootmngrusblog.html however this doesn't appear to support booting from the SD-Card where I also have unbuntu installed.

Anyone know of a boot loader I can use in the CD-Rom to select the SD card with?

um, just a thought have you tried using a different usb card reader instead of the internal card reader? or why not get a larger usb stick? Years ago I tried booting Linux from a Compact Flash card (using an Ide to compact flash interface off of ebay), performance was terrible as I was missing some important protocols/features you get in hdds...

um, just a thought have you tried using a different usb card reader instead of the internal card reader? or why not get a larger usb stick? Years ago I tried booting Linux from a Compact Flash card (using an Ide to compact flash interface off of ebay), performance was terrible as I was missing some important protocols/features you get in hdds...

I've got a USB card reader as well tried that and no joy, attempted to boot with both plop and super grub. It didn't like it.

However plop will boot my USB flash drive.