House Price Crash Forum
wwtgafh

How Do We Make Ll's And La's Know About Our Status

We are a married couple in our late 50's. I am full time carer to our son who has a learning disability, and my wife is disabled because of illness.

Because of our circumstances, we have to claim housing benefit.

Because of this, we are viewed as being feckless, chavs, yobs or any other kind of description which, (often unfairly) goes along with claiming benefits, even though we have been with our current LL for almost 7 years without any problems, and with the new local housing allowance, still always paid the rent.

So, we have to jump through hoops to satisfy some LA's discrimination against benefit claimants in general.

The only reason for moving is to go to the coast in the hopes it may do my wife's health some good.

I know there are LL and LA out there who can see past the perceived benefit red light, but they seem to be few and far between.

Can anybody offer any helpful advice?

I'm disabled so LL's usually look on me as a liability. Really good references are useful but hard to get. I've had to prove income by providing bank accounts and prove that I have made regular payments that way. Also a bank reference or one from someone who is a professional who knows you.

Sorry no better advice. Hopefully others here will have words of wisdom.

I'm disabled so LL's usually look on me as a liability. Really good references are useful but hard to get. I've had to prove income by providing bank accounts and prove that I have made regular payments that way. Also a bank reference or one from someone who is a professional who knows you.

Sorry no better advice. Hopefully others here will have words of wisdom.

Thanks for the advice Flopsy, we will keep looking and hope someone can see past the 'benefit scrounger' label.

May I ask if you have had any cuts to your Housing Benefit of late? If so how do you see yourself coping?

Sorry for the delay in replying, I had to format my PC and reinstall windows.

Anyway, to answer your question, living in East Yorkshire means the rents are not as high as other parts of the country, and because of my wife's disability, our housing benefit is a little higher than somebody else of our age, consequently, we only have a small amount to make up.