House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

inflating

Bought Something From Private Seller - Rights?

A person I know says he bought a gadget from a private seller that he's bought from before. The advert online said it was the mark 2 of the gadget and when he paid and collected it from the seller the box was indeed for the mark 2 gadget.

Presumably because he's bought from that seller before, he didn't look inside the box at the time money changed hands :rolleyes:

When he got home, he found out the item in the box is the mark 1 gadget and not the mark 2.

He's left messages for the seller to say it's not the right gadget being the mark 1 and not the mark 2, but the seller doesn't return his calls etc.

I don't think it was eBay, I think it was some local classified ads online.

Does theisbuyer have any come back - was a private sale a week ago. He says the ad's been deleted now but he has a copy of some chat conversation confirming it was the mark 2 for sale on his phone.

I've told him to contact Consumer Direct, but I don't know if they can help with a private sale. Any suggestions other than he's too trusting, caveat emptor and he should've looked in the box first?

I believe if its not as advertised then he can take it back same sort of rules apply whether buying a car privately or something else like a gadget.

Thank you.

All I could suggest so far was he write a polite letter to the seller pointing out the error and asking for a resolution or written reply within a few days, simultaneously contacting Consumer Direct in case the seller continues to keep his fingers in his ears and there's some other option open to him.

Get the local press to run a story of him looking sad holding said gadget.

buyer beware though...

If the ad appears again then he could contact trading standards maybe

A person I know says he bought a gadget from a private seller that he's bought from before. The advert online said it was the mark 2 of the gadget and when he paid and collected it from the seller the box was indeed for the mark 2 gadget.

Presumably because he's bought from that seller before, he didn't look inside the box at the time money changed hands :rolleyes:

When he got home, he found out the item in the box is the mark 1 gadget and not the mark 2.

He's left messages for the seller to say it's not the right gadget being the mark 1 and not the mark 2, but the seller doesn't return his calls etc.

I don't think it was eBay, I think it was some local classified ads online.

Does theisbuyer have any come back - was a private sale a week ago. He says the ad's been deleted now but he has a copy of some chat conversation confirming it was the mark 2 for sale on his phone.

I've told him to contact Consumer Direct, but I don't know if they can help with a private sale. Any suggestions other than he's too trusting, caveat emptor and he should've looked in the box first?

Just bought an iPad? :lol:

The Sales of Goods act applies equally for both private and business sales for description, so there is redress available. Sadly it sounds like a small claims court would be the only option.

You can start by writing a time of the essence letter, basically informing the trader that he has 7 days to refund or replace the item or that matter will be dealt with in the courts.

You will need the original advert with the description. If this is not available, any claim would struggle.

Edit to add

It may also be a criminal offence under the consumer protection from unfair trading regulations and the fraud act, so it maybe worth contacting your local TS

It may also be a criminal offence under the consumer protection from unfair trading regulations and the fraud act, so it maybe worth contacting your local TS

Like that ever matters! My first PC was sold to us with 32mb of ram, the OS some how said 32 MB of ram, when we opened it up it contained two sticks of 8mb in it. This was a fairly big previously reputable dealer!

Or buying notebooks! I've bought some which advertise 250GB HDD when I receive it it is only 130GB HDD. They change the product page and the advert before hand if you complain.

Like that ever matters! My first PC was sold to us with 32mb of ram, the OS some how said 32 MB of ram, when we opened it up it contained two sticks of 8mb in it. This was a fairly big previously reputable dealer!

Or buying notebooks! I've bought some which advertise 250GB HDD when I receive it it is only 130GB HDD. They change the product page and the advert before hand if you complain.

When buying expensive goods online, I often save the webpage, or even use a screengrabber. This sort of fraud goes on too often.

Thank you for all responses

I will pass the advice on, the person is quite young and inexperienced, the seller took a bit of advantage of that it seems, apparently the ad or method of selling was via a social network site